• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Favorite Thanksgiving dish

I did for the second year in a row. Dry brined for 24 hours. Juiciest turkey I've ever had.

I made a turkey for the 1st time in forever - didn't want to but my family wanted 1. Also grilled some jerk chicken as an alternative. I brined the turkey overnight and cooked it in a bag without adding butter inside the skin, and it turned out great. Also made some killer gravy. I'm not the biggest turkey fan, but I'm definitely going to brine and bag it when doing it again.

made some awesome turkey soup with the carcass and leftover meat on the bones. gonna be good lunches all week, and plenty to freeze for the winter.

excited to make some red beans and rice with the ham bone once we finish all the ham.

Ingredients

8 ounces smoked trout, skin removed, diced
1 heaping teaspoon fresh chives, chopped
2 tablespoons capers (with some of the juice from the jar)
1 teaspoon fresh dill, chopped
¼ cup plain greek yogurt
1 tablespoon mayonaise
juice from ½ lemon
½ cup rye bread, chopped

Instructions

Combine all ingredients in a bowl.
For best flavor, allow the dip the sit for 20-30 minutes before serving so the flavors have a chance to blend.
Serve with crostini, crackers or celery.

bump

making this or smoked salmon dip again this year

i use the recipe interchangeably between the two fish, but there are probably better smoked salmon dip recipes out there

Awesome. I bet smoked trout would be stellar, too.

how small do you chop the bread? Can't say I've seen that in a recipe before.

like chop

larger than mince or dice

small cubes

I haven't really started my menu yet this year, but I'm not worried about the sides. They're always the easiest for me to figure out. The turkey is what I spend the most effort in figuring out. Part of me wants to fry one out on the sidewalk again. Always awesome. Part of me wants to forego the turkey and cook a goose. I've never done it and I'm a little nervous because it can apparently be pretty tricky because it's so fatty. Anyone cooked a whole goose before?

Made that smoked trout dip. Fuck yeah on that one, Townie.

the year i originally posted it, it was made with trout we caught that morning and smoked

can't replicate that awesomeness every year, but the recipe kicks ass no matter what

The smoked trout is awesome. I did it for a party with a can from Trader Joe's and it was delightful.

Not a true "Thanksgiving" dish but it's part of the holiday so I'll mention it. My favorite is the day after when my grandmother makes turkey hash from leftovers and serves it over rice. We all love it so much that we have actually contemplated cooking the turkey a day early to have the hash on thanksgiving. That and a side of dressing is just perfect. Then, that night, we do an oyster roast. Drawn butter and maybe saltines and hot sauce. Absolutely delicious.

we're going to some hotel on Pawley's Island with my in-laws. I'm sad I won't be doing any cooking.

We are hosting both Thanksgiving and Christmas at our house this year so we are taking the easy way out and pre-ordering a bunch of the Thanksgiving stuff from a local place. Kind of a bummer but happy to have a more relaxed day and then we can go big for Christmas.

This Hasselback Potato Gratin Recipe is amazing

20131024-potato-gratin-hasselback-thanksgiving-new-01.jpg

Back