• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Favorite Thanksgiving dish

says serves 4-6...have people scaled this up or does it reasonably serve 6 people?

Well, it's that time again. Anyone plan on trying a new dish this year?

i'm going to try brining my turkey this year. my previous 6 turkeys have all been good to great without it but thought i'd give it a shot to see if it matters. previous turkeys have ranged from local farm raised to butterball; i'm guessing it would affect farm turkeys way more than the butterball.

My secret favorite is the oysters me and my father in law throw in the turkey fryer after we cook the turkeys. The birds will be brined and fried so we can save oven space again this year.

i'm going to try brining my turkey this year. my previous 6 turkeys have all been good to great without it but thought i'd give it a shot to see if it matters. previous turkeys have ranged from local farm raised to butterball; i'm guessing it would affect farm turkeys way more than the butterball.

We use Alton Brown’s brine recipe and it’s great.

Tom Colicchio has been pretty vocal about not brining.

dry-brined (essentially drying the bird as much as possible with paper towels, coating in salt, and letting it sit uncovered in the fridge for a day or 2) and spatchcocking are the way to go if cooking in the oven. skin is super crisp, it cooks way quicker and evenly.

dry-brined (essentially drying the bird as much as possible with paper towels, coating in salt, and letting it sit uncovered in the fridge for a day or 2) and spatchcocking are the way to go if cooking in the oven. skin is super crisp, it cooks way quicker and evenly.

Did you spatchcock it before dry brining or after? And do you do the compound butter under the skin thing? If so, before dry brine or after?

Did you spatchcock it before dry brining or after? And do you do the compound butter under the skin thing? If so, before dry brine or after?

I spatchcock before. I usually brush vegetable oil on the skin and maybe add some dry herbs before sticking in the oven. I think if you put it under the skin you don't get the really crisp stuff, which is what I'm after. especially since butter has water in it.

Here's the recipe/method. Works like a charm.

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/11/butterfiled-roast-turkey-with-gravy-recipe.html

says serves 4-6...have people scaled this up or does it reasonably serve 6 people?

I think as written it would be fine for 6, especially at a meal like Thanksgiving where there are lots of other dishes. I mean that would essentially be a whole potato per person. That said, I have scaled it up without a problem. I would buy a couple of extra potatoes regardless. Depending on their size and shape it could take up a lot less space than you think after slicing. The first time I made it I ran out of potato and had a gap in my casserole. Still delicious though.

I spatchcock before. I usually brush vegetable oil on the skin and maybe add some dry herbs before sticking in the oven. I think if you put it under the skin you don't get the really crisp stuff, which is what I'm after. especially since butter has water in it.

Here's the recipe/method. Works like a charm.

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/11/butterfiled-roast-turkey-with-gravy-recipe.html

Ha, we are both serious eats fans obviously. I was thinking about trying this, which is why I asked.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2014/11...utter-roasted-turkey-thanksgiving-recipe.html

seems like one could do two birds at the same time using this method?

thinking about doing two 10 pounders instead of one 18

yeah I think smaller birds have better flavor. and yeah you could definitely put them on different racks in your oven, which is another benefit. might up the cook time a bit, but not too bad.

the biggest thing I recommend is having a thermometer so you don't overcook. the spatchcocked birds take a lot less time than the traditional way.

I wrap the turkey in bacon before I cook it. There is nothing on earth that compares to the taste of that bacon when the turkey is done.

Best turkey I ever ate: wife brined a turkey in Guinness, then wrapped in bacon before roasting. Turkey was amazing. And the Guinness-turkey-bacon gravy was sooooooo freakin good.

We have gone the fried turkey route the past few years but are spatchcocking this year. Looking forward to trying it.

I’d have to say Tom Colicchio is probably my least favorite chef in the way he does food. Shame because I’ve spent so much time watching top chef

The in-laws are having us try a Thanksgiving tofu meal this year thanks to their new dietary needs. Anyone want to trade?

Back