• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Favorite Thanksgiving dish

Can you brine a turkey that’s already been treated with the “solution” or whatever they put in there? Or will that just be too salty. I have a brine I want to use but can never find a bird without the solution.

I think it depends on if a turkey just has a solution added or if it's actually been brined (I think kosher birds are?). Then I don't think you want to double your efforts or the drippings will be extremely salty.

I wonder if any people agree with me that turkey mostly just sucks?

#eyeroll

there's a reason people only eat it once a year aside from heavily nitrated deli meat

yeah this is why I keep pushing to do something else but people gotta have that traditional thing. I look more forward to the turkey soup I make the next day along with a turkey sandwich than the main meal itself.

yeah, has nothing to do with it being a large bird that would be too much food for most nuclear family households or less

And it’s time consuming to make meaning it would be best served on a holiday that affords time to prepare it and cook it. See all the articles out now bemoaning the loss of Sunday meals and the emphasis on quick meals that can be prepared in 30 min or less.

I really want to smoke my turkey but I’ve been told that will be unacceptable.

I really want to smoke my turkey but I’ve been told that will be unacceptable.

See I've always wanted to do a good spice rub or sauce (buffalo!) or braised legs or something but people just want the boring-ass plain roasted bird.

yeah, has nothing to do with it being a large bird that would be too much food for most nuclear family households or less

Yeah, I'd love to cook a turkey breast often and slice it for sandwiches/salads/etc, but the smallest ones are like 4 pounds usually. Not coming close to eating that much before it goes bad with 2 people.

That reminds me though, I think I'm going to start doing that with split chicken breasts.

if you're cooking the expensive and time consuming product, sack up and do what you want. the worst things that can happen are:

- the recipe is bad/botched and the whole bird is not great (grumbles on the day, fun story later). Definitely test run it ahead of time with a chicken or something.
- a couple people make a dumb comment about extra flavors
- everyone revolts and you're off the hosting hook
- it's good and now everyone thinks you're a wizard and you have to do it every year

fuck it man, just do what you want. it's one thanksgiving. i've run into frequently, not just at Tgiving but any tine, because my dad likes almost no flavors except salt. Eventually i was like "why is one person dictating everyone else's meal all the time?"

buffalo saucing it sounds like a terribad plan, though

if you're cooking the expensive and time consuming product, sack up and do what you want. the worst things that can happen are:

- the recipe is bad/botched and the whole bird is not great (grumbles on the day, fun story later). Definitely test run it ahead of time with a chicken or something.
- a couple people make a dumb comment about extra flavors
- everyone revolts and you're off the hosting hook
- it's good and now everyone thinks you're a wizard and you have to do it every year

fuck it man, just do what you want. it's one thanksgiving. i've run into frequently, not just at Tgiving but any tine, because my dad likes almost no flavors except salt. Eventually i was like "why is one person dictating everyone else's meal all the time?"

buffalo saucing it sounds like a terribad plan, though

nah man this sounds great

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/11/deep-fried-whole-buffalo-turkey-recipe.html

im sure it's good. just seems like a lot to inflict on a large group of people.

good option for friendsgiving

which explains why all those great restaurants -- with their commercial kitchens and professional chefs -- offer it as well

Back