• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Favorite Thanksgiving dish

because it's a large bird and most great restaurants focus on making meals in real time?

How often do restaurants serve meats that take hours to prepare? Maybe you get a prime rib special every other Friday. Smokehouses do this but plenty of smokehouses serve turkey.

I know one thing restaurants should try to do is cut down on the different types of meats they have to store. I don’t know how functional it is to just keep a bunch of turkeys stored in the freezer. Hell they may not have that much freezer space.

Yeah, I'd love to cook a turkey breast often and slice it for sandwiches/salads/etc, but the smallest ones are like 4 pounds usually. Not coming close to eating that much before it goes bad with 2 people.

That reminds me though, I think I'm going to start doing that with split chicken breasts.

I’m smoking a turkey breast on Sunday for sandwiches.

My turkey’s always sort of mediocre because I treat it as an afterthought. I care much more about the gravy. So this year I’m going to go closer to this approach with a wet brine:

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/11/the-best-simple-roast-turkey-gravy-recipe.html

But it does make me feel validated that the way he makes his gravy is similar to mine.

We ended up making the spatchcock version from serious eats for friends thanksgiving today and it was great. Or so I heard. I have been in the bedroom all day with either food poisoning or norovirus. So all those typical thanksgiving smells of roasting turkey and giblet stock brewing were awful to me.

I really want to smoke my turkey but I’ve been told that will be unacceptable.

Just make sure you do it right. My cousin's wife many years ago said she'd take care of smoking the turkey at a big Christmas gathering, did a shit job, and half the family was puking their guts out for the next 24 hours.

Bump for all of our sad, stay at home thanksgivings this year. I'm still doing a small heritage bird and will just have tons of leftovers, but probably going to cut way back on the sides. What is everyone else doing?

We often do the the online order for groceries to swing by and pick up. We're not going anywhere this Thanksgiving, so it's just 5 of us at home. We ordered our turkey and asked for 14lbs. Because the way their turkeys are segmented (<8 lbs, 9-13lbs, 14-21lbs, etc.) we ended up with a 20.3 lbs Turkey for 5 of us.

most of my family has been in town for weeks helping out with new twin nieces, so we'll have close to a regular Thanksgiving

Family of 4 including two under 6yo. So we’ll do either the smallest turkey at the store or a most likely a chicken. Then most of the traditional sides but scaled way down because the whiners won’t eat much. Like make a pint of sweet potato casserole and mashed potatoes etc.

My wife and I were both Covid tested today and may be driving to my parents where my other brothers will be pending everybody’s test results.

I think we are probably 60/40 not going.

Will do Thanksgiving with our neighbors who we share child duties with.

We had 8 turkeys in our back field today. All males with the heads turning red and growing beards. They were beautiful. I was pretty psyched until my dog wondered out there an hour or so after they left and proceeded to roll in their shit. He smelled terribly.

We had 8 turkeys in our back field today. All males with the heads turning red and growing beards. They were beautiful. I was pretty psyched until my dog wondered out there an hour or so after they left and proceeded to roll in their shit. He smelled terribly.

My mother in law is deathly afraid of turkeys. Defs her biggest fear. She legit freaks out when she sees them on her street, which isn't terribly uncommon up in Maine.

FIL doing a smoked bone in rib roast in lieu of turkey this year. I can't wait.

Back