• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Favorite Thanksgiving dish

TownieDeac

words are futile devices
Reaction score
It's November. Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday by a lot.

What's your favorite dish?

Feel free to post recipes. Doesn't have to be traditional.

3 cups hot mashed sweet potatoes
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2 large eggs
1/4 cup soft butter or margarine
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup all purpose flour
1 cup chopped pecans
3 tbsp. soft butter or margarine.

In large bowl, combine sweet potatoes, sugar, salt, eggs, 1/4 cup butter, vanilla and milk. Place in a greased baking dish. In small bowl, combine brown sugar, flour, pecans and remaining butter. Top casserole with crumbled mix. Bake at 350 for 36 minutes. If chilled, 45 minutes.

My favorite food are the turkey sandwiches later that night and the next day. Good bread, lots of turkey, Swiss, mayo, cranberry sauce. Side of stuffing. Oh shit.

The soup I make the next day from leftovers and stock made from the turkey bones.

Thanksgiving day favorite is probably sweet potato casserole; our recipe is similar to Juice's above.

Probably not common, but Risotto with Collards is my favorite of our family's traditional thanksgiving:

1 lb fresh coarsely chopped collard greens
2 cups finely chopped onions
5 finely chopped carrots
2 c. uncooked arborio rice
2 c. grated Parmesan
5 finely chopped cloves garlic
4 cans (58 oz) chicken broth
salt/pepper to taste

Saute garlic, carrot, and onion in oil in a dutch oven for 3 minutes
Add rice, saute for 5 minutes (or until golden)
Add collard and saute for 1-2 minutes to wilt collards
stir in broth, cook over low heat stirring occasionally until liquid is absorbed
stir in cheese, salt, and pepper

Second is the sweet potato casserole similar to Juice's

Turkey is okay but I'm not a huge fan so I alternate between smoking some good spare ribs or making a porketta recipe that I got from a chef friend.

Probably not common, but Risotto with Collards is my favorite of our family's traditional thanksgiving:

1 lb fresh coarsely chopped collard greens
2 cups finely chopped onions
5 finely chopped carrots
2 c. uncooked arborio rice
2 c. grated Parmesan
5 finely chopped cloves garlic
4 cans (58 oz) chicken broth
salt/pepper to taste

Saute garlic, carrot, and onion in oil in a dutch oven for 3 minutes
Add rice, saute for 5 minutes (or until golden)
Add collard and saute for 1-2 minutes to wilt collards
stir in broth, cook over low heat stirring occasionally until liquid is absorbed
stir in cheese, salt, and pepper

Second is the sweet potato casserole similar to Juice's

I am so making that. Thanks for sharing. I have done a sweet potato risotto in the past with pretty good success. Basically a classic risotto with roasted chunks sweet potato. Puree some and add it in a top with the rest of the chunks. I use turkey stock from the thanksgiving bird for this.

I really like the turkey the best. I've been smoking our family turkey with applewood for several years now and I've got it down pretty well. We also have oysters. We eat them on the half shell, with a mignonette sauce and I usually make an oyster stew.

Now that both of my paternal grandparents are deceased my dad has become the de facto patriarch of the family and, in an effort to keep the family united, we are all renting condos and doing a hotel buffet. I'm skeptical and it's possible I'll do my own cooking that weekend.

I wrap the turkey in bacon before I cook it. There is nothing on earth that compares to the taste of that bacon when the turkey is done.

I think I honestly like the mashed potatoes the best. As I kid, I loved mixing mashed potatoes and black eye peas for the ultimate carb bomb.

My official strategy guide for Thanksgiving

- have about 8-12 oz of turkey breast
- take a bite of everything else so I can politely say "the stuffing is delicious", "the potatoes are delicious", "the cranberry sauce is delicious" (this one is always a lie), etc.
- eat all the pies. ALL THE PIES!

So to directly answer the thread, pie. Any pie, quite frankly, though some are of course better than others with pecan being the king of T-giving pies.

Back