• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

SAY YES GUILFORD

TARDAWG

Steve Lepore
Reaction score
Realizing most on the board are too young to even care on the subject, and most not living in Guilford County NC, but this program will be amazing for our area. Obviously anyone attending the public school system is excited about this, but should also help as an economic boost that this area GREATLY needs. Last Night I had a chance to listen to a Guilford County School Board member explain and answer questions about the program, and hard not to get excited about every senior graduating from the Guilford County Schools receiving scholarship money that will pay between 25%-100% of TUITION to the 15 public Universities in the State of North Carolina and a large % to the selected private schools INCLUDING Wake Forest!

http://sayyesguilford.org/

It's pretty fantastic news for Guilford County kids and parents. We're definitely excited.

On top of the tuition, they will also have a network of service volunteers in the community in case they detect a sudden drop in a students performance, legal services,medical services and other outreach programs.

As a parent with 3 in (or will be in ) Guilford County Public Schools, I am very excited about this.

it's a big deal for sure. Very excited about it. I think GCS does a great job given all the crap a large urban district has to deal with and the added crap ladled on by our current General Assembly, this could put the county over the top to be a real leader.

Without getting too political, where will the revenue come from to provide the money necessary to do this?

Really asking, not trolling.

Without getting too political, where will the revenue come from to provide the money necessary to do this?

Really asking, not trolling.

Combination of public and private funding.

My kid missed out by a year. The professional cynic in me has questions about this that have so far gone unanswered. Mainly about what kind of local control Guilford County schools have turned over to the Say Yes Programmers. Its my belief that an organization doesn't give out millions of dollars without getting something in return.

tvcigar

100% private from what was said the other night. There are foundations that I am sure will help that do receive some public money so I guess in truth there are some “public dollars, but it will be a very small %.

Was also surprised to learn that the Guilford County School System is in the top 50 largest districts in the entire country.

Interesting. I'd heard the school system was involved with funding as well.

tvcigar,

I hear you on the speculation but I think they are pretty upfront on what donors have given to these projects in the first couple programs established, and on top of good natured tax write offs, boosting educational development, it has an amazing area business stimulus. The draw of new “big” businesses is a huge marketing point. Guess who owns most the land, real-estate , stores, & serves in the area that stand to increase in value....

Who will get crushed are people trying to sell homes just outside of county lines. They gave examples of other areas but soon you will see “ Say Yes” attached to everything selling in the area. Imagine looking for a home and knowing three kids will get free tuition at the house just inside the county line as opposed to just over. Anyone thinking of moving in the near future that is near a border might want to think of doing it sooner than later.
My kid missed out by a year. The professional cynic in me has questions about this that have so far gone unanswered. Mainly about what kind of local control Guilford County schools have turned over to the Say Yes Programmers. Its my belief that an organization doesn't give out millions of dollars without getting something in return.

tvcigar

Interesting. I'd heard the school system was involved with funding as well.

The school systems, local governments and existing service agencies will all be involved in providing the "wrap around" services that are supposed to accompany the program and there has been some hand-wringing about the costs of providing those services - perhaps you're thinking of that. There has been a ton of private local money already pledged to establish the initial endowment - a large chunk of it from High Point - and there will need to be additional significant dollars raised going forward. Sure those folks stand to profit from Guilford County becoming a more attractive place to live, but this appears to be just one of those instances where you get a ton of bang for your buck in terms of your charitable dollars spent.

I understand the appeal of "say yes" to the parents of students in Guilford County, and to how it might make Guilford County a more attractive place to live. I was at the "say yes" announcement and at a press conference afterward. While there was a ton of back slapping and self-congratulations, there were questions asked to the millionaire who backs "say yes" and his staff which went pretty much un-answered. Just a whole bunch of "this is a great thing" and "we know what we are doing".

I am more concerned about what kind of controls the "say yes" folks now have over our local schools since they just ponied up millions of dollars. That is what someone cynical like me would like to know. Like I said, my kid graduated a year too early, I'd love to have some help paying for her future schooling.

tvcigar

The new superintendent of Guilford County schools is from the Syracuse school system. Another "say yes" system. The cynical me just wonders what kind of power these folks have over one of the largest school systems in the state.

I am very excited about this. My son is going to UNCW this fall and we are taking advantage of the Say Yes program. We will also benefit from it for 3 more of my kids. Couldn't come at a better time for us.

BWELLS21,

For your three kids still going through the system, you do know about the free air fare for the student and one adult for a trip in each of their Jr. and Sr. Years?

Best advice: Get a one-way ticket out of Greensboro.

Back