• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Planned Parenthood Attack

Deuteronomy 17
If there be found among you, within any of thy gates which the LORD thy God giveth thee, man or woman, that hath wrought wickedness in the sight of the LORD thy God, in transgressing his covenant; 17:3 And hath gone and served other gods, and worshipped them, either the sun, or moon, or any of the host of heaven, which I have not commanded; 17:4 And it be told thee, and thou hast heard of it, and enquired diligently, and, behold, it be true, and the thing certain, that such abomination is wrought in Israel; 17:5 Then shalt thou bring forth that man or that woman, which have committed that wicked thing, unto thy gates, even that man or that woman, and shalt stone them with stones, till they die.
Well that wasn't hard. I won't bother to read your inevitable justification.

just to be clear, HDS is suggesting that someone murdering someone else but doing so in the name or defense of religion doesn't necessarily represent all followers of that religion

Last edited:
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Deuteronomy+17:1-13&version=NIV&interface=print

This is God instructing the nation of Israel, not an individual Jewish person, so it must be harder than you think. Since you are not interested in reading my answer, I will not bother to waste my time providing a more complete and thorough answer. However, it would include key words such as theocracy and promised land.

You're really splitting hairs here. Either way God commanded people to kill non-believers because they are non-believers.

Plus the Koran was written in a time where it was a single Muslim "nation" pretty similar to the nation of Israel so it seems like it's pretty close to the same thing

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Deuteronomy+17:1-13&version=NIV&interface=print

This is God instructing the nation of Israel, not an individual Jewish person, so it must be harder than you think. Since you are not interested in reading my answer, I will not bother to waste my time providing a more complete and thorough answer. However, it would include key words such as theocracy and promised land.

uhhh from your link

You must purge the evil from among you.

Seems pretty clear to me

You're really splitting hairs here. Either way God commanded people to kill non-believers because they are non-believers.

Plus the Koran was written in a time where it was a single Muslim "nation" pretty similar to the nation of Israel so it seems like it's pretty close to the same thing

Written to the nation of Israel prior to them entering the promised land. It concerns the laws in the promised land while the nation of Israel was under a theocracy. It has been quite a while since Israel has been under a theocracy.

I really can't stand Christians who are so clueless about the Bible but the use it to justify their personal beliefs.

Take the L, HowardDean. Just take the L.

See answer above. "You" refers to the nation of Israel. That is who God was addressing.

a nation is just a bunch of people. he is instructing people to kill other people because they don't believe in the right God.

what we have here is a (probably) very accomplished, intelligent MD who gets into a debate outside his field of expertise and can't admit that he might be wrong. No wonder you are a Ben Carson fan.

See answer above. "You" refers to the nation of Israel. That is who God was addressing.

So what's the point you're making? It is ok for a religion to support killing non-believers as long as it's not happening in 2015? I don't get it.

And there are people who believe the same applies to the Christian nation of the United States of America.

Honest question: is there a significant subset of Christianity that is organized around the philosophy of murdering those who don't hold their belief system? I honestly don't know of one. There are certainly wackos that will do something crazy but I am not aware of a core and significant number of 'Christians' whose faith is based on purging the unbelievers by taking their lives.

I really can't stand Christians who are so clueless about the Bible but the use it to justify their personal beliefs.

Take the L, HowardDean. Just take the L.[/QUOTE

Do tell Ph. I take a fundamentalist view of Scripture with which you may disagree. However, I am hardly clueless concerning Scripture. As you have such a better understanding of Scripture, how about helping a brother out and show me were I have gone wrong in "justifying my personal beliefs" with Scripture. My goal is for Scripture to determine my personal beliefs. Put your mind at ease. I am not going for a "win" on a Wake Forest Chat Board. I enjoy a discussion of ideas, but the immaturity with associated name calling does get old.

There are some pretty messed up things in the old testament. The one I could never get past the story of Jericho where the Israelites killed every man, woman, child, and animal with the exception of one prostitute who betrayed her people.

That said, neither Christians or Jews or Hindus or Buddhist or Zoroastrianist feel the need to blow themselves up to effect maximum innocent casualties. Believers of these other religions are able to live side by side with each other without feeling that it is an insult to God himself that infidels live. Granted, there are a few extremist among some religions who occasionally commit acts of violence, none compare to Islamist extremist. How much of that is doctrine and how much of it is that Muhammad himself was a warrior and a conqueror is hard to say. Comparing the central figure of Christianity or Buddhism to the central figure of Islam shows a remarkably different perspective.

Take the L, HowardDean. Just take the L.

Add Trump and Carson to that equation. Carson eventually backed off on prison sex and celebrations from Jersey City on TV, but Trump hasn't and won't back off on anything ever. Lost two thirds of potential voters with the birther nonsense alone. Both Trump and Carson know they'd lose support if they ever admit a mistake or apologize for anything. Wonder why GOP controlled Cobgress has an 11% approval rating?

Back