• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Football Offseason Thread

Curious as to how many folks have even seen the old weight room?

Exactly. The new weight area in the indoor practice facility is nicer than the previous weight room because it's filled with new equipment and it has more space.

Wake fans are legitimately some of the best at finding anything to complain about.

Those of us who are knee-jerk critics of the AD got that way honestly. It's not like they've done much to earn the benefit of the doubt lately.

Those of us who are knee-jerk critics of the AD got that way honestly. It's not like they've done much to earn the benefit of the doubt lately.

From a football facilities standpoint they definitely have.

How much do the new weights weigh compared to the old weights ?

They finally have enough weights for the whole team to work out at once, and have it temporarily placed in the BRAND NEW indoor practice facility, and that brings jokes/complaints about our lack of ability to return interceptions for touchdowns.

They finally have enough weights for the whole team to work out at once, and have it temporarily placed in the BRAND NEW indoor practice facility, and that brings jokes/complaints about our lack of ability to return interceptions for touchdowns.

To be fair, there is a kerning issue.

So where are we punting during Spring? I'd like to imagine the new freshman is just booming kicks by himself on the field hockey turf.

how often is the thing used for practice? i assumed just for when it rains or the tsunami?

They are practicing full time right now in the indoor because both outdoor practice fields are being turned clockwise and are in the middle of that construction phase.

It'll echo some of the previous comments, but we NEEDED a new weight room. Our recruiting staff would actively shy AWAY from our current one because of how horrible it is (compared to most high schools even). It's tiny and you cannot get the entire team in there at once. Add in the fact that some of our players were TURNED AWAY during specific times because "the girls track team was working out." No D1 football player in the ACC should ever be told he can't workout whenever he wants to. Period.

Initially, prior to/when Clawson was hired, the plan was to build the Sports Performance Center and then the Indoor. Didn't take long to realize that we weren't even at the halfway raising money for the SPC, but had enough to get started on the indoor. Clawson needed something to show recruits - he needed shovels in the round and bull-dozers going. He had made promises to his initial recruiting classes and needed evidence to follow up on that. Because all of these renovations were done with football in mind, putting the football weight room inside it's indoor was the smartest move possible.

It kills 2 birds with 1 stone. Yes, you have a little less room to practice, but now you have something you can 1.) show off to recruits and not avoid 2.) have an indoor 3.) have a sufficient weight room. Somewhat of having your cake and eating too. The football offices and on-campus locker room are sufficient right now. They could - and will - be better in the future, but they're something we can live with right now. We couldn't live without a new weight room.

Basketball's weight room is now at the LJVM. (Why we haven't moved all of our offices & basketball-related needs over there is beyond me. Maybe practicing free throws where we play games would help with our FT %, but what do I know? We're planning on building another basketball practice gym on campus).

In the long run, I see a lot of practices being held in the indoor. It's a controlled environment and you can control who is in/who isn't. Clawson isn't a big fan of open-practices, but wasn't going to get rid of them because of the warm fuzzies created by his predecessor. Moving practices indoors will cut down on open-practices - it won't be as convenient to come by/get in.

"You can't always get what you want, but you just might find, you get what you NEED!" When a breakaway Deacon stops dead on the 10 yard line out of habit, in a game, your concern over where the weight room is will be justified.

They're practicing full time in the indoor because the practice fields are torn up. The only time you're going to have indoor practices is inclement weather or extreme heat.

I think we can go through spring practice minus 10 yards.

"You can't always get what you want, but you just might find, you get what you NEED!" When a breakaway Deacon stops dead on the 10 yard line out of habit, in a game, your concern over where the weight room is will be justified.

I laughed.

Dan Collins reported that Cam Serigne will miss the remainder of the spring with mono. It will be interesting to see how the passing game looks in the scrimmages and Spring Game given the absences of Serigne, Cortez Lewis, Jared Crump and (likely) Tabari Hines. It sounds like Jalen Latter has been moved to WR to add another body.

Unfortunately I am not going to be able to make it to the first scrimmage. Very disappointing as I'm eager to watch the team and would have enjoyed posting the details here. I'm planning on being at the second scrimmage and Spring Game.

Back