• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Football Offseason Thread

Well, those grad students weren't recruited due to their stellar ability. They had experience and were warm bodies. As they say down here, mejor que nada. I appreciate them coming to play for a team with little prospect of winning.

But they had little prospect of playing where they were.

Guy behind him to start the season was Thomas Brown. Not sure why he didn't play more.

Thomas Brown started against UNC when Dancel was injured, and Brown played poorly. It was right up there with any of Dancel's worst performances.

I was surprised because I had always thought highly of Brown. At the time I wondered if he was dealing with an injury.

94, Are Redd and Chapman the only freshman you see not redshirting next year?

94, Are Redd and Chapman the only freshman you see not redshirting next year?

I think it says something that Cade Carney, Brandon Chapman and Dom Maggio are among the expected early enrollees. You would think that the staff is leaning towards playing all three next year. I thought the plan was to enroll Traveon Redd in January as well, but I haven't seen any confirmation that he has signed his financial aid agreement. I would be surprised if he isn't on campus come January.

After you get past the early enrollees, it is really a question of who comes in during the summer and proves that they should be getting at least 30%-40% of snaps. To do that, they will probably have to beat out guys that were in the 2015 class and have been in the program for a year. Tough task.

I don't see a lot of obvious holes on the two-deep, but we also have 9 months of injuries and attrition to look forward to. So that may change. In addition it seems unlikely that we will take 3 post-grads like we did last year (there's not enough scholarship space).

Personally I hate it when we take redshirts off of anyone other than RBs and WRs. It just doesn't seem like we get enough on the field production to warrant sacrificing that 5th year.

94, could you do a 3-deep roster. I'd like to see if your opinion of who might see the field in an emergency and who are blocking dummies.

If there was a 3-deep, it would merely list the remainder of the scholarship players. Under the 85 scholarship limit you can only go 3-deep plus a handful of redshirts.

Also keep in mind that the 2-deep in the OP is only my projection, however I think there has been some good info available this year that gives me confidence that I am generally on target.

I'd just like to know what was the reason for some guys never seeing the field. Tyree, Latter, Armstrong, Jackson, Lamont et al. Are they in the dog house never to emerge? Do they really suck? Are they just the third guy? I'm trying to figure out who will be off the roster in order to get to the 85 scholarship limit.

I'd just like to know what was the reason for some guys never seeing the field. Tyree, Latter, Armstrong, Jackson, Lamont et al. Are they in the dog house never to emerge? Do they really suck? Are they just the third guy? I'm trying to figure out who will be off the roster in order to get to the 85 scholarship limit.

Why do you think 94 would know the answers to those questions? I appreciate all the work he does, but he isn't having meetings with the coaches discussing how each player is progressing.

Generally, players that aren't climbing the depth chart fail to advance within the program because:

a) they aren't good enough to contribute;
b) fail to make the necessary effort in practice/meeting to compete for playing time;
c) are knotheads;
d) are chronically injured
e) combination of all or most of those factors.

The coaches want to win games and play the players that enhance the likelihood of victory. If a scholarship player fails to make the two deep by his 3rd year in the program, there is an issue such as those mentioned above.

I agree with Pilchard's response (and DeaconSig's point that I don't have a basis to comment on specific players). I would (again) caution about assuming that we will see a wave of transfers. We talk all the time about the value of a Wake Forest degree. Why would these guys give up that degree for 1-2 years of small college football? It just doesn't make sense. In addition, since Clawson came on board two years ago we have only seen three transfers that I can recall involving players that had not yet earned their degree: Travis Smith to Eastern Michigan, DaiQuan Lawrence to Catawba, and Will Smith to Liberty (am I forgetting anyone?). There's no reason to expect that trickle of players to become a tidal wave now.

Why do you think 94 would know the answers to those questions? I appreciate all the work he does, but he isn't having meetings with the coaches discussing how each player is progressing.

That's why I asked for his opinion. What's your opinion Sig? Are these players zeroes, fuck-ups, or is it that they aren't Claws guys?

Generally, players that aren't climbing the depth chart fail to advance within the program because:

a) they aren't good enough to contribute;
b) fail to make the necessary effort in practice/meeting to compete for playing time;
c) are knotheads;
d) are chronically injured
e) combination of all or most of those factors.

The coaches want to win games and play the players that enhance the likelihood of victory. If a scholarship player fails to make the two deep by his 3rd year in the program, there is an issue such as those mentioned above.

Pilchard, I was at the last game of the season a few years ago were afterwards, Nikita called out some players for huddling at the end of the bench and not caring about the game. I attended the Duke game this weekend and the whole team was up and watching the game. It was easy, in the past, to see who mailing it in and counting the days left. I just feel that Claw will have a certain number of junior players who will not be on the sidelines next fall. He will get them through the spring and summer school and then out the door. How many will it be?

To make the numbers work, I think any 4th yr Juniors have to finish by May graduation. Then an incoming freshman can have the 'ship for summer school. Don't think you can be "over" on scholarships even for the summer.

Back