• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Football Offseason Thread

Another Zach Thomas. He needs to go to the team with the right scheme for him though.

I went through the updated roster on wakeforestsports.com. A few notes:

1. Everyone that was honored before the Duke game has been removed, including Steve Donatell and Shelldon Lewinson.
2. TE Brendan O'Neil is no longer on the roster.
3. Walk-ons QB Chuck Norgle and OL Nathan Thacker are no longer listed. Thacker was the most highly touted freshman walk-on from what I recall.

I went through the updated roster on wakeforestsports.com. A few notes:

1. Everyone that was honored before the Duke game has been removed, including Steve Donatell and Shelldon Lewinson.
2. TE Brendan O'Neil is no longer on the roster.
3. Walk-ons QB Chuck Norgle and OL Nathan Thacker are no longer listed. Thacker was the most highly touted freshman walk-on from what I recall.

So, with those roster revisions and assuming that everyone currently committed stays committed (and none gray-shirt), how many ships is WF committed to for the 2016 season at the moment?

So, with those roster revisions and assuming that everyone currently committed stays committed (and none gray-shirt), how many ships is WF committed to for the 2016 season at the moment?

Without grayshirts, I have the count at 86.

ACC football schedule will be released tomorrow afternoon.

I'm praying for a mid season bye week before a big game.

As opposed to us playing about half of our games against opponents coming off a bye.
And then getting our bye week right before playing on the road against two top 5 teams where really wasn't going to do any good anyway

As opposed to us playing about half of our games against opponents coming off a bye.

Yeah this is what I am most interested in. In a few press conferences Clawson seemed to be tactfully lobbying the ACC for an end to that.

Question moved from the recruiting thread:

Deac94, I have seen articles and predictions about next years depth charts and I have a question if you're willing to speculate. I see everyone assuming that our top running backs next year are going to be Matt Colburn and Tyler Bell. While not a terrible assumption by any means considering they were our top two this past season as freshman, what about Rocky Reid? He was the guy I was most excited about in our last recruiting class and I see him being significantly more talented than either Colburn or Bell. I went into the offseason expecting an improved O-line and an improved running back (because Rocky Reid would be our starter) and therefore, a massively improved run game. With the addition of Kendall Hinton as (hopefully) our starter, that is a deadly backfield. Just wondering your thoughts on where Rocky Reid is in comparison to the other guys and if you think he will ultimately end up being the starter.

I think anyone excluding Rocky Reid is making a mistake (unless they know something that I don't). Clawson said towards the end of last season that Rocky Reid wasn't brought in just to see snaps as a freshman, he was brought in to start as a true freshman. So if he is healthy and doing what he needs to do in practice you have to assume that Rocky sees a lot of snaps. However, one difference with this year is that Tyler Bell now has two 90+ yard performances under his belt. I don't think you can reduce him to 30% of snaps. I think Bell and a healthy Rocky Reid would have to co-lead the committee. At least at the beginning of the year.

Also one of the most underdiscussed topics is that the staff brought in Cade Carney as an early enrollee. That would lead you to believe that he will see snaps as well.

fb2016schedule.jpg

I thought we were going to be playing Duke to end the season every year. We've got to get to 3-3 to have a shot of making a bowl. The back end is favorable.

Props to our marketing folks for putting the Open date and ACC Championship on there.

Last edited:
Swofford assumed no reasonable Deac would marry a State fan.

2016 Schedule

9/1 Tulane
9/10 at Duke
9/17 Delaware
9/24 at Indiana
10/1 at NCSU
10/8 Syracuse
10/15 at FSU
10/22 Open
10/29 Army
11/5 Virginia
11/12 at Louisville
11/19 Clemson
11/26 BC

Only 5 away games.

Great schedule at first glance. Bye timing is nice, heal up after FSU and prepare for 2 winnable games

With that schedule, 7-5 is reasonable for fans to expect in my opinion. Wins over Delaware, Tulane, BC, Virginia, Army, Cuse and 1 out of 4 with the away State, Duke, Louisville and Indiana games. Not bad. Should be the floor honestly because even if we lose a home game or two those 4 away games are all "winnable", but then again this is WF we're talking about.

Back