• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Islamic Dilemma

Don't know anything about simos criminal record or lack thereof. But I have noticed, pretty consistently, that the people in our society who are the most adamant about needing guns to protect themselves from criminals and wanting looser gun laws are generally people who live far away from actual criminals, in the country or in safe neighborhoods. Most of the Republican Party doesn't personally know and is certainly not related to anyone with a serious criminal record.

People who live in poor, crime-infested neighborhoods and live with gun violence every day, and who actually know and are often related to criminals, support much tougher gun laws.

Because actually living in the Wild West is a lot less cool than fantasizing about who'd you'd shoot with your six-gun if you did.

To give him the benefit of the doubt I think it was a clumsy Rome reference but still doesn't make sense.

I get that you want to ban guns. There are two problems with that. The second amendment and the fact that there are 3 million guns in circulation in the US alone. It doesn't even work in Europe, with its strict gun laws. You do understand that it won't work, right?

There are only 3 million guns in America?

I believe we should have the right to buy a gun if we want one. Not because we need them for self defense or anything - just because we want one. That is freedom.

At the same time, if there are measures that can be put in place to make it impossible, or at least more difficult, for someone with bad intentions to get a gun, I am all for them.

The problem is figuring out what those measures are - background checks (for mental illness (but how do you do that with privacy laws?)(and who is to say what kind of mental illness causes you to not be able to buy a gun?), for criminal/violent records (that should be easier)), waiting periods (to avoid spur-of-the moment crimes and suicides) - what else? Is there any way for a background check to include association with extremist groups? I don't know if it is possible or if it should be allowed?

omg. he responded to a severely loaded question by referencing the classic example of a loaded question in his retort, thereby bringing attention to wakeandbake's logical fallacy. Are you a pedant or just stupid?

If his reference was making a joke about abusing another poster's wife, kudos. I'm just part of the PC police, don't mind me...

I believe we should have the right to buy a gun if we want one. Not because we need them for self defense or anything - just because we want one. That is freedom.

At the same time, if there are measures that can be put in place to make it impossible, or at least more difficult, for someone with bad intentions to get a gun, I am all for them.

The problem is figuring out what those measures are - background checks (for mental illness (but how do you do that with privacy laws?)(and who is to say what kind of mental illness causes you to not be able to buy a gun?), for criminal/violent records (that should be easier)), waiting periods (to avoid spur-of-the moment crimes and suicides) - what else? Is there any way for a background check to include association with extremist groups? I don't know if it is possible or if it should be allowed?

There are plenty of things we can buy if we want one.

Back