• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Islamic Dilemma

It is a limit on what you can do when driving. Guns are safe when used responsibly and without criminal or evil intent. Cars are safe when operated in a rational manner, not under the influence of drugs or alcohol and without evil intent. Guns have positive uses - hunting, target shooting, self defense - people collect them for historical reasons, for appreciation of the technology and even the artistic nature of some firearms. Cars clearly have positive uses - transportation, recreation, artistic appreciation, etc.

I am not equating the two - cars are more integral and necessary to modern society. But both can be dangerous under certain circumstances so limits have to be placed.

Then why can't a professional driver open it up to 140 on an open stretch of highway, or go as fast as he feels is safe on a medium traffic level highway?

And if cars are more integral and necessary why do we place more restrictions on them?

I should have stated that differently. A large segment believes that any redeeming qualities or safe recreational uses for guns is extremely minimal in the face of the damage they cause.

Change meth to weed and the comparison is more apt.

You are getting into the area of freedom versus safety - personal freedom versus public policy. I think (most) everyone agrees that there is a line to be drawn - the problem is always where to draw that line. I think everyone agrees that individuals should not be able to buy nuclear weapons. And I assume the same would go for other big explosives, tanks, bazookas, mortars, fully automatic weapons, etc. As you move down the spectrum, you start losing people. Semi-automatic assault rifles? Semi-automatic hunting rifles? Handguns? Handguns made of materials that x-rays can't detect? Etc. I am not going to try and draw the line but I definitely feel that any effort to ban all or most guns is going too far. But I agree that there is a line and that there are more measures that could be put in place to make it harder to obtain guns.

You are getting into the area of freedom versus safety - personal freedom versus public policy. I think (most) everyone agrees that there is a line to be drawn - the problem is always where to draw that line. I think everyone agrees that individuals should not be able to buy nuclear weapons. And I assume the same would go for other big explosives, tanks, bazookas, mortars, fully automatic weapons, etc. As you move down the spectrum, you start losing people. Semi-automatic assault rifles? Semi-automatic hunting rifles? Handguns? Handguns made of materials that x-rays can't detect? Etc. I am not going to try and draw the line but I definitely feel that any effort to ban all or most guns is going too far. But I agree that there is a line and that there are more measures that could be put in place to make it harder to obtain guns.

So maybe you shouldn't be able to buy a gun just because you want one.

Are you willing to vote for people who think the same way?

So maybe you shouldn't be able to buy a gun just because you want one.

As I said - I think you should as long as you are within whatever limitations we agree to place on that right - like certain things that show up in a background check that say you shouldn't.

I definitely feel that any effort to ban all or most guns is going too far. But I agree that there is a line and that there are more measures that could be put in place to make it harder to obtain guns.

So do most Americans. Too bad lobbies have more control over politicians than their constituents.

So do most Americans. Too bad lobbies have more control over politicians than their constituents.

Unfortunately they have control over a large number of the constituents too. Gun owners can say they are for reasonable restrictions all they want, but when politicians talk about enacting such reasonable restrictions its not just the gun lobby that goes nuts.

Scooter (or others): can you point to a gun restriction recently proposed by a prominent politician which you consider to be "unreasonable".

Don't dodge my question. Are you a criminal. Are you afraid to answer. Most people would answer.

How am I dodging a question you didn't ask me?

The answer is no unless your definition includes speeding tickets.

This thread sucks now.

How many threads are there that have "guns" in the title? Take it to one of those.

Last edited:
Instead this thread is an abortion. Thanks Obama.

Not entirely sure where else to put this:

CWRiHyEWUAAz4kV.png:large

It's weird, then, that the majority of European citizens still want harsher gun laws after this attack. Is the entire continent dumb, and you have it figured out?

although I believe there definitely should be a better vetting process as it relates to gun ownership I do laugh at the left crying that the death penalty doesn't deter crime but harsher gun laws will prevent criminals from getting guns.

although I believe there definitely should be a better vetting process as it relates to gun ownership I do laugh at the left crying that the death penalty doesn't deter crime but harsher gun laws will prevent criminals from getting guns.

This is probably one of the worst comparisons used on the tunnels and that's really saying something.

Back