• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Islamic Dilemma

No see, we have gone down this road many times and established that entitlement services have a rightful place in our society for those in need, and that your beef and the harmful/damaging part was the gaming of the system. We both agreed on that point. We posted for pages about back-to-work programs and other thoughtful solutions. Then I asked you what percentage of entitlement recipients were, in fact, gaming the system.

This is essential to the whole solution, don't you think? If you agree that there are people in need who use the service properly, then its total elimination is not even on the table. It comes down to eliminating the gamers.

We need to know how many there are and we can begin to build a solution. I know you are an astute numbers man, and an all around well-read man. So I know you wouldn't form the cornerstone of your theory on the working/poor class without knowing these numbers backward and forward.

So lay them on me, man. Let's see them!

100% of the people on these benefits deserve a better option and a better life. Which ones don't and should just settle for barely enough?

What is jhmd's batting average for threads? Can't we just lock him up in his own two parent thread like a gated community?

What is jhmd's batting average for threads? Can't we just lock him up in his own two parent thread like a gated community?

Yep. Fuck him. He's got opposing views from us. Lock him away. Where else have I heard this in history...

Yep. Fuck him. He's got opposing views from us. Lock him away. Where else have I heard this in history...

Yea man, seriously. Let's get back to talking about welfare on the Islamic Dilemma thread.

I need to find that thread where he had no more circular logic or deflection left and was basically forced to capitulate to the fact that entitlements were indeed necessary programs for certain folks in certain situations, and that the gamers of these programs were only a percentage of the recipients, not all of them. The logical next question was 'what percentage do they make up?' and it was there that the thread died because he and Wrangor scurried away.

I need to find that thread where he had no more circular logic or deflection left and was basically forced to capitulate to the fact that entitlements were indeed necessary programs for certain folks in certain situations, and that the gamers of these programs were only a percentage of the recipients, not all of them. The logical next question was 'what percentage do they make up?' and it was there that the thread died because he and Wrangor scurried away.

Is there an actual way to statistically identify someone "gaming" the system?

This. The joy arguing with him brings to the 9-5 Gen X set and effective trolling of millennials aside, the schtick was old awhile ago and dude is like KA-level at derailing pretty much every thread he posts in (albeit less manic) with the same tired line.

I hate to say this because i have come to appreciate him (especially his cooking/gardening contributions), but please confine him to a thread already...

This. The joy arguing with him brings to the 9-5 Gen X set and effective trolling of millennials aside, the schtick was old awhile ago and dude is like KA-level at derailing pretty much every thread he posts in (albeit less manic) with the same tired line.

I hate to say this because i have come to appreciate him (especially his cooking/gardening contributions), but please confine him to a thread already...

Again, someone presents opposing viewpoints, you just lock them away? I've heard of these methods before.

Do you prefer to just have a circle jerk where you congratulate each other about how right you are? I thought being liberal meant you were open and inclusive of things that aren't just like you. I guess you draw the line at political ideology.

Again, someone presents opposing viewpoints, you just lock them away? I've heard of these methods before.

Do you prefer to just have a circle jerk where you congratulate each other about how right you are? I thought being liberal meant you were open and inclusive of things that aren't just like you. I guess you draw the line at political ideology.
Yeah, confining jhmd to his own thread = gestapo tactics.

Skipped brain day, bro?

DG3, you seem to be ignoring the fact that people hate how jhmd argues, not what he argues for as witnessed by this thread derail. There are plenty of conservative posters nobody is asking to put into their own thread.

DG3, you seem to be ignoring the fact that people hate how jhmd argues, not what he argues for as witnessed by this thread derail. There are plenty of conservative posters nobody is asking to put into their own thread.
This. jhmd is a troll. Whether he shares beliefs with you is pretty irrelevant. It's a shame, too, because dude can be great when he drops the act.

Is there an actual way to statistically identify someone "gaming" the system?

I don't know, I am asking. I am not the one pointing to entitlements as 'causing irreparable damage....."

But if you were going to make that argument, wouldn't you need to know that?

I don't know, I am asking. I am not the one pointing to entitlements as 'causing irreparable damage....."

But if you were going to make that argument, wouldn't you need to know that?

I don't know. That's why I asked. There are certainly people gaming the system, but I have no evidence to show any certain percentage nor do I know how to identify someone that's doing it.

I think it's going to be really difficult to identify it. It's probably a very subjective identification.

lol im the 9-5 Gen X set. :tard: I am totally guilty of enjoying the shit out of it.

I don't know. That's why I asked. There are certainly people gaming the system, but I have no evidence to show any certain percentage nor do I know how to identify someone that's doing it.

I think it's going to be really difficult to identify it. It's probably a very subjective identification.
One would think that if it was as widespread as pubs claim that it is (see also: voter fraud), then it would manifest itself in a way that could be statistically measurable. After all, these agencies -govt, NPO, and private - collect tons of data. If economists can figure out the dynamics of drug and prostitution markets (see Levitt's work), I find it hard to believe that there's no way to investigate this.

Or, you could simply refer to the mountains of scholarship across disciplines that show that these phenomena are nowhere near as prevalent as the talking points suggest.

shrug

Back