• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Islamic Dilemma

I don't know if this is just a general statement or if you are referring to someone here in particular...but if so, your statement doesn't apply to me. I am in favor of raising the minimum wage and I have no problem at all with helping people who are trying to help themselves. (I am also in favor of making the federal income tax code far more progressive than it is now. That's about the only problem I have with fully supporting Rand Paul.)

Then he probably wasn't talking about you.

DOESN'T MAKE YOU WONDER

Who do you know that is arguing that poor people don't work? That people on food stamps don't also work?

So is work. Work can have that purpose, too.

Most people are less responsible once their basic needs have been met, actually. They have less to be responsible for.

You're like a riddle wrapped inside an enigma, jh. This message sure is narrow.

You're like a riddle wrapped inside an enigma, jh. This message sure is narrow.

Do you remember the exact date you decided entire swaths of the population were incapable of providing for themselves (without your benevolent intervention, of course)? I'm assuming the Proverbial Cutting of the Bait is some sort of Progressive Right of Passage. I just wonder if you mark the exact date you give up on other people's basic abilities.

and this guy can run

arts-graphics-2004_1153444a.jpg

Do you remember the exact date you decided entire swaths of the population were incapable of providing for themselves (without your benevolent intervention, of course)? I'm assuming the Proverbial Cutting of the Bait is some sort of Progressive Right of Passage. I just wonder if you mark the exact date you give up on other people's basic abilities.

I do live in Philly, but I gotta admit I wasn't there when they wrote "the General Welfare."

In my best 30-for-30, what if I told you there was empirical evidence that a certain behavior, entirely within the control of the effected individual, that significantly improved one's chances of sustainable, economic self-sufficiency out of poverty, and did so across racial lines, wouldn't you want to make that behavior the baseline of social change? Why would that behavior be the problem that dare not speak its name, to the party who pretends to care about such things?

This is the portion of the program where jhmd and his new crumb snatcher bkf pretend that the argument is about personal responsibility, a point which no one is arguing. They have to though, otherwise the emptiness of their position is exposed. But let's indulge them anyway.

Ok, personal responsibility is the decided upon solution. You have me convinced (you always did). How does that look in practice? Is it:

A) the removal of all entitlement programs in America or
B) strict controls on all entitlements to ensure that they are only applied appropriately?

neither

it's respectability politics - it's Ph telling his fellow black folks not to buy expensive shoes

that's all they want to see

If only Santa had brought jhmd and bkf some testicles for Christmas we could be getting some straight answers to some pretty basic questions about their solution. Oh well, maybe next year.

Just some full blown racism on this thread - not even veiled.

Also, the "there are more white people in poverty than black people in this country - where is the outrage about white poverty?" line shows no critical thinking ability whatsoever. There are almost 42 million black people in the country and something like 245 million white people. Of course there are more white people in poverty than black people.

This is the portion of the program where jhmd and his new crumb snatcher bkf pretend that the argument is about personal responsibility, a point which no one is arguing. They have to though, otherwise the emptiness of their position is exposed. But let's indulge them anyway.

Ok, personal responsibility is the decided upon solution. You have me convinced (you always did). How does that look in practice? Is it:

A) the removal of all entitlement programs in America or
B) strict controls on all entitlements to ensure that they are only applied appropriately?

You have a problem with applying entitlements appropriately? As opposed to what, applying them inappropriately? Using taxpayer dollars in the most efficient way possible to accomplish the best maximum benefit from those tax dollars is a bad idea?

No I do not. So you choose B?

Obviously.

(You know, if you really want to be honest about it, you are going to have a hard time "pigeon-holing" me into a predefined position in these matters....because I don't mind criticizing both sides when I feel it is necessary. I've already been called a bat-shit crazy liberal and a racist conservative on these boards....several times.)

What happened to the Muslims?

Not sure where they went on this thread, but the Iraqi Army retook Ramadi over the weekend/last night. So that's kind of a big deal. Apparently Ramadi is on the only supply route to Fallujah so ISIS will have trouble holding Fallujah now.

Ok so B.

Me too!

So please outline how option B is not happening right now. Who is getting entitlements inappropriately?

Ok so B.

Me too!

So please outline how option B is not happening right now. Who is getting entitlements inappropriately?

Well, this is just an opinion from anecdotal observations and I don't have data to give you.....but I think that disability payments, for one thing, are rife with fraud & abuse.

Back