• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Islamic Dilemma

Biometric access or any type of digital restrictions based on location etc.. Are non-starters gun nuts want access to their guns when they want them and they don't trust technology to not reveal their identity to the government or restrict their access when they may need to shoot it. Actually, I'd imagine that applies to a large percentage of gun owners.

Why is a gun registry a non-starter? Don't we have to register our cars?

Was there a time when there were more guns than people in Japan? Do you think banning guns in the US would have similar results to Japan? There are quite a few cultural differences. Specially in regards to respect for authority. How does their crime rate compare to ours irrespective of guns?

As you well know, this is a rabbit hole. Except for some offhand remark earlier in this thread upon which you have fastened like a burr on a donkey's tail, no one in America is seriously talking about a gun ban. The leftiest lefties want bans on certain types of guns and much greater regulation of gun ownership.

That being said, if theoretically a complete Japan-esque gun ban was implemented in America, it it true that the guns would not magically disappear. It would take a long time to work them out of the economy and would have to involve some kind of buy-back. But from the moment the ban goes into place, the supply of guns is fixed and starts immediately declining. How rapidly it declines is simply a question of how much money the government is willing to offer in a buy-back program and how aggressively it goes after gun-hoarders who defy the ban. Since you're a free-market, libertarian true believer, I assume you know that ever-decreasing supply means ever-increasing prices. Within a few years, illegal guns would not only be rare, but astronomically expensive. Far beyond the reach of pissant criminals. Drug gangs could muster up the money to get them somehow but since we're living in la-la-land here, let's pretend that drugs are legalized and taxed too - that would fix that problem pretty quick.

I'm guessing we could Japan-ize this country in 10 years or so if we really wanted to. Nobody serious actually does, including me.

Whether we're talking about a complete ban or just much tighter regulation of gun ownership, the basic supply-demand equation and the balancing of liberty interests remain the same in my opinion. I would think that as a card-carrying libertarian, you'd at least have to acknowledge the supply problem with your argument.

It shouldn't be but we've seen this too many times. It is one thing to register them but another to electronically restrict the use of them unless you've paid your registration fee. I'd be all for it of course, but we can't make any substantive progress with baby steps, so I can't imagine that giant leap would gain any traction. Not to mention the fact that we potbelly don't have the technology to do it just yet.

One of the biggest things, and I didn't even realize this was a thing until recent comments online, people around me, and other media outlets, is that some people are legitimately scared that the government is turning against the American people. That Barack Obama is either a Muslim (not that there is anything in the slightest wrong with this), the Anti-Christ, Hitler, or a combination of the three.

People are using this adhere to the Second Amendment of needing to protect themselves from the inevitable government oppression that is turning America into 1930's Germany.

When you use a straw man future argument for securing "liberties" it becomes extremely difficult to have a rational and useful conversation on anything.

This applies to guns, Muslims in America, the Second Amendment, and many other things.

I love how I have posted some version of this about 10 times on three different threads, and none of our resident conservatives have even tried to respond and explain why Islamic terrorism is a serious threat to the country as a whole

This is so typical and why it's so frustrating to watch pubs and dems debate any issue. Handful of black Americans killed by cops each year some just and unjust and there is riots and protests in the street. When attention is brought to the unequal outrage not being applied to young black men killing each other at an alarming rate it is side stepped and ignored.

Now we are talking about terrorism and you say who cares it only kills 10 Americans a year. I will tell you why we should care and why it is different from the Blm movement. The fact is that extreme radical not all Muslims taking a peaceful religion and waging jihad has been happening for 1000s of years. 9/11 showed they can now for the first time reach out and touch us at home. Since Obama claimed iSIS was jv they have created a caliphate. They are able to recruit to Americans and others through social media. They have made their intentions clear on what they are doing and want. They have grown and continue to grow despite Obama's limited strategy to "degrade" them. They most recently took down a Russian airliner and murdered 100s in Paris. Now after the attack in California most Americans can see that this issue is critical because allowing Isis to grow stronger will gaurentee more and deaths at home.

Wake the fuck up

Something about the government having a list of who has guns and coming to take it from you. Also I think there is a federal prohibition on a registry of any kind at the national level.

This is so typical and why it's so frustrating to watch pubs and dems debate any issue. Handful of black Americans killed by cops each year some just and unjust and there is riots and protests in the street. When attention is brought to the unequal outrage not being applied to young black men killing each other at an alarming rate it is side stepped and ignored.

Now we are talking about terrorism and you say who cares it only kills 10 Americans a year. I will tell you why we should care and why it is different from the Blm movement. The fact is that extreme radical not all Muslims taking a peaceful religion and waging jihad has been happening for 1000s of years. 9/11 showed they can now for the first time reach out and touch us at home. Since Obama claimed iSIS was jv they have created a caliphate. They are able to recruit to Americans and others through social media. They have made their intentions clear on what they are doing and want. They have grown and continue to grow despite Obama's limited strategy to "degrade" them. They most recently took down a Russian airliner and murdered 100s in Paris. Now after the attack in California most Americans can see that this issue is critical because allowing Isis to grow stronger will gaurentee more and deaths at home.

Wake the fuck up

Christians have been doing the same thing for at least 2000 years and nobody here seems to care either. Wonder why.

Not to mention the leading Republican candidate is probably doing more to promote "terrorism" domestically than any ISIS member could ever do in 100 years.

Wake the fuck up

269 black people killed by cops this year. That's more than a "handful."
http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ounted-police-killings-us-database?CMP=fb_gu#

1077 people killed by cops total.

According to a site called "thereligionofpeace" (which I will assume for the sake of this argument includes any and all deaths domestically at the hands of the "religion of peace" and does so liberally) there have been 45 deaths domestically at the hands of jihadists since 2010. That includes 14 in California 12 days ago.

According to a site called "thereligionofpeace" (which I will assume for the sake of this argument includes any and all deaths domestically at the hands of the "religion of peace" and does so liberally) there have been 45 deaths domestically at the hands of jihadists since 2010. That includes 14 in California 12 days ago.

So in the past year (I'll yield that there will be no more black people killed by cops through Dec. 30th of this year), there have been 224 more deaths of black people to cops than acts of terror carried out by jihadists.

Yet terrorism is the bigger issue?

So in the past year (I'll yield that there will be no more black people killed by cops through Dec. 30th of this year), there have been 224 more deaths of black people to cops than acts of terror carried out by jihadists.

Yet terrorism is the bigger issue?

yes because isis has twitter now

Christians have been doing the same thing for at least 2000 years and nobody here seems to care either. Wonder why.
You
Not to mention the leading Republican candidate is probably doing more to promote "terrorism" domestically than any ISIS member could ever do in 100 years.

This is the classroom liberal elitist talk that shows no grasp of the worlds current threats. Even if this were true in contemporary society and it isn't even fucking close when compared to Isis / extreme Muslim issue it wouldnt justify ignoring or diminishing the seriousness that Isis poses the world and the U.S.

There have been 3110 people killed by Muslims in America over 82 terror attacks since 1972. All but just under 3k of those happened in one day. The best estimates based on FBI data is that police killed at least 14,012 people between 1976 and 2011

This is the classroom liberal elitist talk that shows no grasp of the worlds current threats. Even if this were true in contemporary society and it isn't even fucking close when compared to Isis / extreme Muslim issue it wouldnt justify ignoring or diminishing the seriousness that Isis poses the world and the U.S.

Why isn't it close or true?

What makes them different other than your perspective and predisposed (and perhaps even implicit) stereotypes?

How many abortion clinics have been bombed in the past 30 years? Hate crimes committed in the name of God? How many Muslim mosques have been victimized in the past 2 weeks?

You think those aren't acts meant to scare, demean, terrorize?

Back