• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Islamic Dilemma

There have been 3110 people killed by Muslims in America over 82 terror attacks since 1972. All but just under 3k of those happened in one day. The best estimates from the FBI

Do you have a number worldwide?

I can try to find one - thats going to open up a lot of can of worms vis-a-via the number of atrocities committed in the name of Christianity world wide as well though.

Do you have a number worldwide?

This discussion is about America, no? Or are you in favor of the world police approach? There were approximately 1 million Rwandans killed during that genocide, for example. Since y'all wanna talk #s that don't really affect America's safety.

This discussion is about America, no? Or are you in favor of the world police approach? There were approximately 1 million Rwandans killed during that genocide, for example. Since y'all wanna talk #s that don't really affect America's safety.

Just making the point that this is a major issue. The fact that to date there have only been a bit over 3000 killed does not mean it will stay that way.

Just making the point that this is a major issue. The fact that to date there have only been a bit over 3000 killed does not mean it will stay that way.

Why is it a major issue in America though?

What makes you think that outside of the MSM and Trump telling you that it is so?

I'm not necessarily disagreeing that it is somewhat scary to think about, but there are so many other things that kill us RIGHT here in America day after day that people aren't concerned about.

Is it because it's easy to point at the guys with different skin, scary beards, and wrapped up heads instead of facing real problems right here on American soil?

And your colleague Deacs89 is trying to make the point that agents of the state murdering civilians is not a major issue.

And your colleague Deacs89 is trying to make the point that agents of the state murdering civilians is not a major issue.

I think that is an issue that needs to be dealt with, but it's kind of hard to say that the majority of killings by cop have been "murder". I think some have been proven to be so and the cover up mentality is a real problem, but bigger than ISIS? I don't think we have to chose. We can certainly deal with both.

Why is it a major issue in America though?

What makes you think that outside of the MSM and Trump telling you that it is so?

I'm not necessarily disagreeing that it is somewhat scary to think about, but there are so many other things that kill us RIGHT here in America day after day that people aren't concerned about.

Is it because it's easy to point at the guys with different skin, scary beards, and wrapped up heads instead of facing real problems right here on American soil?

Yea, that's it. Those who are concerned about ISIS are xenophobic racist. Nothing to see here move along.

I think that is an issue that needs to be dealt with, but it's kind of hard to say that the majority of killings by cop have been "murder". I think some have been proven to be so and the cover up mentality is a real problem, but bigger than ISIS? I don't think we have to chose. We can certainly deal with both.

Hooray! Agreed! You are brighter than Deacs89!

So what's the explanation for ignoring literally tens of thousands of gun deaths in America this year but wetting your pants thinking about ISIS and Islamic terrorism which has killed 4k people in 45 years in America?

Yea, that's it. Those who are concerned about ISIS are xenophobic racist. Nothing to see here move along.

That's not my point.

My point is that instead of dealing with complex domestic issues (guns, police murdering civilians, etc.) it is easier to give evil a "face" and go after it. Basically playing into the already existing stereotypes and biases that most Americans already have.

ISIS is a big problem overseas in the Middle East right now. The extreme jihadists are very scary and problematic to think about, but they are much less of a threat here than they are over there. Is it a concern for the future that we should probably take seriously? Of course. It's just funny to me that we aren't focusing on other very real problems here first that we can deal with.

couple of reasons to elevate the paranoia about ISIS so idiot america gets the willies:

oil
military spending

That's not my point.

My point is that instead of dealing with complex domestic issues (guns, police murdering civilians, etc.) it is easier to give evil a "face" and go after it. Basically playing into the already existing stereotypes and biases that most Americans already have.

ISIS is a big problem overseas in the Middle East right now. The extreme jihadists are very scary and problematic to think about, but they are much less of a threat here than they are over there. Is it a concern for the future that we should probably take seriously? Of course. It's just funny to me that we aren't focusing on other very real problems here first that we can deal with.

We should focus on both.

Speaking only for me, I'm plenty concerned about ISIS. I think it's a terrible horrible thing and the people that are living under their sadistic control need help. But that concern does not lead me to believe that we need to spend trillions more dollars and American lives playing world police in the sandbox, nor does it lead me to believe that we need to implement religious tests for entry into the US, etc. etc.

Not sure if that puts me in the category of people who need to "wake the @@# up" according to 8xdeacs.

It's also not fair to categorize people who are concerned about ISIS as racist xenophobes. However, when people think the best way to deal with ISIS is to implement a sectarian travel ban on US entry, the shoe might fit.

Speaking only for me, I'm plenty concerned about ISIS. I think it's a terrible horrible thing and the people that are living under their sadistic control need help. But that concern does not lead me to believe that we need to spend trillions more dollars and American lives playing world police in the sandbox, nor does it lead me to believe that we need to implement religious tests for entry into the US, etc. etc.

Not sure if that puts me in the category of people who need to "wake the @@# up" according to 8xdeacs.

It's also not fair to categorize people who are concerned about ISIS as racist xenophobes. However, when people think the best way to deal with ISIS is to implement a sectarian travel ban on US entry, the shoe might fit.
Could you live with a travel ban from certain countries like Yemen that are known to be radical hotbeds. I think Trump would have been much better off with that approach that going against a religion.

Back