• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Islamic Dilemma

Could you live with a travel ban from certain countries like Yemen that are known to be radical hotbeds. I think Trump would have been much better off with that approach that going against a religion.

What percentage of immigrants from Yemen entering the USA do you think are terrorists?

I think every individual immigrant should be vetted regardless of where they come from. I agree that this may have been a better approach, but I don't think either one is necessary.

What percentage of immigrants from Yemen entering the USA do you think are terrorists?

I think every individual immigrant should be vetted regardless of where they come from. I agree that this may have been a better approach, but I don't think either one is necessary.

What percentage would be high enough for you to be alarmed?

You remove that random guy gets so pissed off that he gets his gun and kills someone shooting. But you also remove all self defense that a gun owner has. You give criminals near 100 percent certainty that if they show up at your house at night that you will be unarmed.

I don't think this is a worthwhile trade. I think that the guy who snaps and is willing to go and get his gun and shoot you, but is not so angry that he will find a lead pipe or a knife or will wait for you with his car to run you over is a pretty small percentage of killings. Most likely a guy who would do that is rather predisposed to committing a violent act anyway.

You don't think this is a worthwhile trade based on what though? You don't just get to decide that arbitrarily.

The ratio of guns being used in self defense to guns being used to kill intentionally or accidentally is low. There is no chance that the rise in gun deaths caused by people no longer having guns for self-defense is going to be higher than the decrease caused by people not having guns period.

Last edited:
This is so typical and why it's so frustrating to watch pubs and dems debate any issue. Handful of black Americans killed by cops each year some just and unjust and there is riots and protests in the street. When attention is brought to the unequal outrage not being applied to young black men killing each other at an alarming rate it is side stepped and ignored.

The ratio of black Americans killed by police to Americans killed by terrorists has to be least 50:1. So that's a pretty big difference there.

Most of the conservative conversation around the refugees is couched in bigotry, but it bothers me when liberals try to act like there isn't any religious component to ISIS or other extremist operations.

what else bothers you ? i don't like it when people put the TP on with the roll over the back

Most of the conservative conversation around the refugees is couched in bigotry, but it bothers me when liberals try to act like there isn't any religious component to ISIS or other extremist operations.

I don't think religion is a causal factor. I think it's simply a convenient justification and recruiting tool. Align yourself with a popular movement such as religion and it's easier to spread your ideology.

I don't think religion is a causal factor. I think it's simply a convenient justification and recruiting tool. Align yourself with a popular movement such as religion and it's easier to spread your ideology.

That is cray-cray. Maybe ask a terrorist what his motivation is. I'll bet it is not $15.00 hr.

That is cray-cray. Maybe ask a terrorist what his motivation is. I'll bet it is not $15.00 hr.

do you think people are much less likely to radicalize and turn to violence when they see a reasonable future for themselves?

Could you live with a travel ban from certain countries like Yemen that are known to be radical hotbeds. I think Trump would have been much better off with that approach that going against a religion.
Because terrorists obey laws? I guess you havent heard that ISIS is coming in from mexico and canada?

People kill for all kinds of "reasons" that don't cause other people to kill. Love, hate, religion, politics, patriotism, nativism, racism, self-defense, you name it. It doesn't mean those reasons are causal in of themselves.

I think this represents an egregious misunderstanding of Islamic fundamentalism. Take your looniest Christian conservative friend, take away his western education and the tempering effect of the post-religious western culture in which he lives, and only then do you begin to scratch the surface of what religion means to an Islamic fundamentalist. Short of some prepper types out west and some fruitcakes who kill abortionists, I don't know that we have anything indigenous that compares. It really is a fundamentally foreign mindset.

I think your posts represent a simplistic understanding of human nature.

So then, if not religious ends, what do those who involve themselves in terrorist movements really want?

To terrorize.

I think this represents an egregious misunderstanding of Islamic fundamentalism. Take your looniest Christian conservative friend, take away his western education and the tempering effect of the post-religious western culture in which he lives, and only then do you begin to scratch the surface of what religion means to an Islamic fundamentalist. Short of some prepper types out west and some fruitcakes who kill abortionists, I don't know that we have anything indigenous that compares. It really is a fundamentally foreign mindset.

Y'all look very different to non-Christians than you think you do.

Last edited:
Take into consideration that looney Christian conservative could easily be a member of the Senate or House or even President of the United States acting on their viewpoints with the most powerful military this world has ever seen. Christian fundamentalists make up a larger powerful voting bloc as well.

The average Muslim in the Middle East has far more reason to fear Christian fundamentalists in the US than Christians in the US have to fear Muslim fundamentalists.

Last edited:

I think this is true. I have no doubt that the masses of radical Islam are led by their faith beliefs. I liken it to a similar situation to prosperity gospel megachurches. There are usually a few charlatans gaining on the backs of earnest believers desperate to believe anything that will offer them or their children a better life. Obviously Joel Osteen and Creflo Dollar aren't leading their flock to violence, but the psychology is the same.

Back