• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NYC

Break it down egghead. Keep in mind he's a tourist.

112452996_baldness_400888c.jpg

Tavern on the Jane in Greenwich Village is a pretty cool joint for lunch and a few brews. There is a lot of activity around it that is slightly less sleazy than LES.

I actually saw Victor Garber in there the last time I was there.

I went to the One World Observatory this summer. Unfortunately it was rainy and overcast so we didn't have the best views but the tour was still worth it. I definitely recommend it, just make sure to buy tickets ahead of time.

I'm also heading up this way but not until NYE.

It's fuckin New York City of course it's dirty and smelly.

It's fuckin New York City of course it's dirty and smelly.

No shit Sherlock, I'm just sayin. It would be good for this dudes lady to know what to expect.

To me though, the main problem is too fuckin many people and nowhere to walk on sidewalks. Its gotten even more crowded in the last 10 years or so despite the expense to live here.

Yes, in case you weren't expecting it, OP, midtown Manhattan is also very crowded !

If you have never been there, the crowded sidewalks are unlike any other city. I can't think of one that's even close.

And now all these idiots are bumping into you, because they can't take their eyes off their phone. I had fun bumping into some of these turds on purpose.

Back to the topic though, McSorleys is touristy but can be fun if you get there early.

is that the old place with the two beer styles and the tiny mugs

that place is great

Go to the one at South Street Seaport and you won't have to wait in line. They have an app that tells you what is available that day.

This is exactly right. Avoid the Time Square booth.

Last time I was in NYC (September), I did a walking food tour in Greenwich Village which was fantastic. I also did the Museum Hack tour of the Met which I HIGHLY recommend.

NJ Transit is super easy. There's also a bus that goes to Met Life from the Port Authority if you want to feel like you're in a big tailgate all the way there. (Maybe not as an opposing fan.)

Oh man, mid town during the holidays is not my happy place. But my mom came up one winter so we did the Christmas tree, store windows, etc. Very festive, just so crowded.

I second MoMa. St. Patrick's Cathedral. Take a stroll around the park.

You can head towards Hell's Kitchen for interesting restaurants. Bouchon Bakery & Cafe in Columbus Square has a good brunch.

Go to the one at South Street Seaport and you won't have to wait in line. They have an app that tells you what is available that day.

You could hit TKTS at the Seaport, walk over to OWO (they serve alcohol at the top) and then do ice skating at the World Financial Center (now called Brookfield Place). Wear a Wake shirt in case I'm out and about.

Last edited:
Heading down for the Panthers-Giants game as well - first time I'll be in the city around Christmas time. Amped to do the touristy stuff on Saturday and see the tree and whatnot.

Most of the advice is good so far on here other than the moran who said to take a car from Newark.

Don't know what time you are heading out to the game on Sunday, but you may be able to squeeze in a boozy brunch somewhere beforehand (or you could do this Saturday). Best deals in the city: usually 2-3 hours with an entree and unlimited mimosas/bloody mary's for like $20-35. Tons of restaurants do them, but I might look in like Chelsea, the West Village or maybe Hell's Kitchen because then you're only a few stops away from Penn Station to head out to the game.

I'm posting a link below to an article with a bunch of options, but there are tons more beyond this if you look. I would try to make reservations as the good ones book up

https://www.thrillist.com/drink/new-york/where-to-boozy-brunch-a-hood-by-hood-guide

Just got back from NYC.

- We had a fabulous brunch at Mr Purple. It is in Greenwich.
- Marseille is also very good
- We purchased tickets through TKS and got great seats. We went to Finding Neverland, which was amazing!
- Do the tree during the day. The crowds are terrible at all times but unbearable at night. Don't bring a stroller. I was cursing everyone with a stroller
- check out Bloomingdales and burgdorfs Windows. They are more over the top this year than I remember from years past.
- 9/11 memorial is really nice. We didn't do the museum.
- wear comfy shoes.
- be prepared for hotter than normal temperatures but still lots of wind.
- Hack the Met is awesome. Tell Nick that you are a WFU alum.

Back