• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

SPOILERS: Star Wars: The Last Jedi Discussion Thread SPOILERS

SPOILERS: Star Wars: The Force Awaketh Discussion Thread SPOILERS

In the trailer, Luke is seen with R2. Assumedly, this was him in exile. But in the film, R2 is with the resistance, just not being able to be powered on. I wonder how he got his hands on R2 in the trailer or was it just trailer footage?

That scene was in the hallucination when Rey touched the saber

Flashback, not hallucination. When she touched the lightsaber, she saw when the Knights of Ren slaughtered Luke's Jedi academy. Find pictures of that scene. They are standing in front of several bodies. Luke was reaching out to R2D2 during or after that battle.

I'm convinced that Rey was there, survived, had her mind wiped by Luke using an advanced Jedi mind trick, then exiled to Jakku. Luke taught a less advanced trick Ben Solo which is how he can read minds. He may have taught it to Rey as well which is why she could resist it.

I think we will see an extended Verizon of that flashback in Ep 8. It may already have been shot actually. I don't think Luke did nothing but stand on an island all that time during filming and the movie comes out in 17 months.

Quick question for you. I was at Legoland Florida today. One really cool thing there is that they have Lego models of one major scene from all six movies and Clone Wars. What scene from Ep 7 do you think they'll add to the collection? My wife and I think it will be something from the Escape from Jakku. The Starkiller Base forest lightsaber battle is possible as well as the battle Maz Kanata's castle. I doubt they would go with Han's death.

Last edited:
I thoroughly enjoyed it. Had a smile on my face throughout. Thought the new characters were great.

Loved the opening shot as the planet was slowly obscured by the Star Destroyer or whatever.

Pour one out for Han.

I didn't love the Supreme Leader being a crappy looking CGI character. Why couldn't he have been an actor in makeup?

I guess I will say I didn't love that it was basically a remix of Ep IV with a little Ep VI thrown in, but a solid reintroduction to the universe. It's just nice to have more Star Wars in my life.

Flashback, not hallucination. When she touched the lightsaber, she saw when the Knights of Ren slaughtered Luke's Jedi academy. Find pictures of that scene. They are standing in front of several bodies. Luke was reaching out to R2D2 during or after that battle.

I'm convinced that Rey was there, survived, had her mind wiped by Luke using an advanced Jedi mind trick, then exiled to Jakku. Luke taught a less advanced trick Ben Solo which is how he can read minds. He may have taught it to Rey as well which is why she could resist it.

I think we will see an extended Verizon of that flashback in Ep 8. It may already have been shot actually. I don't think Luke did nothing but stand on an island all that time during filming and the movie comes out in 17 months.

Quick question for you. I was at Legoland Florida today. One really cool thing there is that they have Lego models of one major scene from all six movies and Clone Wars. What scene from Ep 7 do you think they'll add to the collection? My wife and I think it will be something from the Escape from Jakku. The Starkiller Base forest lightsaber battle is possible as well as the battle Maz Kanata's castle. I doubt they would go with Han's death.

Gotta either be the escape from Jakku or the battle at Maz Kanata's.

I thoroughly enjoyed it. Had a smile on my face throughout. Thought the new characters were great.

Loved the opening shot as the planet was slowly obscured by the Star Destroyer or whatever.

Pour one out for Han.

I didn't love the Supreme Leader being a crappy looking CGI character. Why couldn't he have been an actor in makeup?

I guess I will say I didn't love that it was basically a remix of Ep IV with a little Ep VI thrown in, but a solid reintroduction to the universe. It's just nice to have more Star Wars in my life.

I don't think it's fair to say that Snoke was just a crappy CGI character. He was a hologram only in the film. He was supposed to look a little grainy. The motion capture technology with Serkis is ultimately a better recipe for quality acting than makeup.

This movie did a much better job of integrating the technology of the original trilogy than the prequels did. Poor holograms are part of that.

Ph, wouldn't she forget mind tricks if Luke wiped her mind?

Didn't stop Anakin. And the whole mitachlorian thing and the Jedis we know suggest the force is inherited.

I think Rey may be a rando who was Luke's top pupil. Or maybe she was orphaned from parents affiliated with the First Order.

Although the metachlorian count suggests inheritance, that was something that I feel was a weird thing that Lucas randomly brought into I,II, and III. And seeing as how Abrams seems to be keeping very much in line with the original three, it's not something they have to run with

That being said, we have also seen a variety of Jedi from different races, species and parts of the Galaxy. So there is something more than bloodlines at play no matter how much it might influence it

Gotta either be the escape from Jakku or the battle at Maz Kanata's.

I don't think it's fair to say that Snoke was just a crappy CGI character. He was a hologram only in the film. He was supposed to look a little grainy. The motion capture technology with Serkis is ultimately a better recipe for quality acting than makeup.

Not too mention Palpatine appeared as a hologram for most of his screen time in the originals. It kind of adds to the Mystique of the Dark Side that the ultimate villain can control things from afar like that, without knowing his location

I thought the best scene of the movie was from Finn and Rey meeting on Jakku through the two of them meeting Han and Chewy. Their chemistry was great, Finn's excitement at shooting down the tie fighters was as fresh as it was in Episode IV, the Millennium Falcon flight through the desert and the star destroyer was great, and Rey putting the ship in a position to shoot the last tie fighter was awesome. There were other great parts, but that was the one I liked the most.

I agree that the music didn't deliver, which was my biggest disappointment. In the scheme of things, however, that's not so bad.

Ph, wouldn't she forget mind tricks if Luke wiped her mind?

She did. And her whole plot for the second part of the movie was remembering her Jedi training. She was Neo, basically.

Although the metachlorian count suggests inheritance, that was something that I feel was a weird thing that Lucas randomly brought into I,II, and III. And seeing as how Abrams seems to be keeping very much in line with the original three, it's not something they have to run with

That being said, we have also seen a variety of Jedi from different races, species and parts of the Galaxy. So there is something more than bloodlines at play no matter how much it might influence it

It's possible it has nothing do to with bloodlines. Of course, different races, species, and parts of the galaxy do have bloodlines, so that's not really an argument against bloodlines. We also know that people can make it into adulthood without any knowledge that they have the force (Leia, Rey), so it's for two non-Jedi to have a force sensitive child who becomes a Jedi. So it's not simply a matter of Jedi having kids. Given that there has been a long period of time from the end of III to at least the end of VI in which Jedi were not active, at least two generations of force sensitive people went unidentified.

I guess what I'm saying is that we don't know enough to rule out the force as an inherited trait.

snoke is such a terrible name. why didn't they go with billy?

I realize it was a hologram and agree that what Serkis does is amazing, but for non-humanoid creatures (Gollum, various apes). Snoke just seems like it could be accomplished with a regular actor. I don't know why motion capture is even needed in this instance. Somebody said in the thread it looked like the white Orc from the hobbit films, which I totally agree with. Compare that with the Uruk Hai from LOTR and tell me which looks better.

looked like an x files type alien that some intern sketched in 45 minutes

It's possible it has nothing do to with bloodlines. Of course, different races, species, and parts of the galaxy do have bloodlines, so that's not really an argument against bloodlines. We also know that people can make it into adulthood without any knowledge that they have the force (Leia, Rey), so it's for two non-Jedi to have a force sensitive child who becomes a Jedi. So it's not simply a matter of Jedi having kids. Given that there has been a long period of time from the end of III to at least the end of VI in which Jedi were not active, at least two generations of force sensitive people went unidentified.

I guess what I'm saying is that we don't know enough to rule out the force as an inherited trait.

Dude sometimes I think you don't actually read posts and just try and mess with folks

I never said it has nothing to do with bloodlines. I said bloodlines can obviously not be the only prerequisite.

Also unless you are saying Jedis really enjoy a lot of inter species sexual encounters, then multi species or multi racial Jedi do prove that bloodlines alone do not determine who can use the force

Thus people's arguments/hopes that we actually get a fresh Jedi character in Rey

I thought the best scene of the movie was from Finn and Rey meeting on Jakku through the two of them meeting Han and Chewy. Their chemistry was great, Finn's excitement at shooting down the tie fighters was as fresh as it was in Episode IV, the Millennium Falcon flight through the desert and the star destroyer was great, and Rey putting the ship in a position to shoot the last tie fighter was awesome. There were other great parts, but that was the one I liked the most.

I agree that the music didn't deliver, which was my biggest disappointment. In the scheme of things, however, that's not so bad.

You just can't beat Darth Vader's theme. No Darth, no Darth theme, which is the best of the entire score of all the Star Wars flicks.

Dude sometimes I think you don't actually read posts and just try and mess with folks

I never said it has nothing to do with bloodlines. I said bloodlines can obviously not be the only prerequisite.

Also unless you are saying Jedis really enjoy a lot of inter species sexual encounters, then multi species or multi racial Jedi do prove that bloodlines alone do not determine who can use the force

Thus people's arguments/hopes that we actually get a fresh Jedi character in Rey

I think his whole point was that we can't say bloodlines isn't the only prerequisite.

I really hope they don't get too on the nose with analogies though. I think they've already done the proper
amount of homage to the OT. anything more (ie kylo and rey being twins) would be overkill I think

Was not just a flashback. Jedi can read people and things to get flashbacks but also limited impressions of the future. Didn't rey also see am impression of her battle with ren in the snowy forest.

You just can't beat Darth Vader's theme. No Darth, no Darth theme, which is the best of the entire score of all the Star Wars flicks.
While it's Darth's theme, the Imperial March was also secondarily for the Empire too. But until the First Order and/or Darth Emo actually seem imposing (other than blowing up a planetary system from parsecs away or sneakily killing your father), they probably don't deserve their own theme. Plus the Imperial March debuted in the second film, so it could be the same here too.

Last edited:

Why would interspecies sex be necessary for multiple species to have the force?

The force isn't unique to any specific set of species so each species can transmit the force through their bloodlines.

Back