• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

SPOILERS: Star Wars: The Last Jedi Discussion Thread SPOILERS

I don't think the Force is only hereditary (or that the skywalkers are the only force-sensitive people left) otherwise Luke wouldn't have a bunch of trainees to have slaughtered.

But again there are adults who are force sensitive who don't know they are. They could pass on the force.

There are specific conditions that would need to be met in order to say the force isn't only hereditary and those have not been met.

I thought everyone had midichlorians but you needed a certain density or whatever to harness the force the way Jedi can.

I'll answer y'all's question simply and definitively: in the world of star wars, you've got your pure-bloods, your half-bloods, and your mud-bloods.

The argument is stupid. Let's just talk about how awesome it was and cut out all of the #analysis.

I thought the light saber fights were awesome. I also liked Driver's portrayal of a young dark jedi with frustration issues.

I'm kinda glad Finn got injured when he tried fighting with the lightsaber as it helps suggest that only force sensitive people (or those trained by a force sensitive person) can fully utilize the weapon.

But he should definitely consider getting one of whatever the storm trooper had, that thing seemed pretty interesting.
91944.gif

SPOILERS: Star Wars: The Force Awaketh Discussion Thread SPOILERS

When Kylo Ren was banging on his blaster wound in that last duel...that was cool. Also liked the shit fits he threw.

Finn was also a great character, very well written and acted.

I keep going back and forth over whether I want Luke to come back to civilization with Ren, simply provide her guidance/training while staying in exile, or something else entirely. I think I'm on the side of him continuing to stay in semi-exile while the Resistence maintains contact from a far. Or if he does restart his battle versus the dark side, that Luke goes off in search of other force sensitive people to rebuild the Jedi ranks. Just that he doesn't return to the Resistence and act as a leader & direct mentor to Rey constantly.

Yeah. It's a good argument, Island. Do we want Luke to be Obi Wan, Yoda, or Professor Xavier?

As I admitted, my initial reaction was mostly because I'm pissed Han got killed.

But yeah, Driver is a good actor and the character is interesting. You knew Driver was a good actor when he was able to act sexually interested in Lena Dunham

I missed this in my Ph rage, but this post is gold

Damn. I missed that one too. It is gold. Lena Dunham is perhaps the ugliest actress out there. Anybody who can do a nude scene with her is a skilled actor.

I don't remember seeing it discussed before but I totally missed that Yoda and Obi-Wan were in the Rey dream sequence. JJ Abrams stated it they were there as a way of force strong characters/spirits? reaching out to Rey. Ewan McGreggor, Frank Oz, and Alec Guinness all contributed (they took "rey/rai" from when Guinness said 'afraid'). EW article on the sequence.

I thought the move was really good. I thoroughly enjoyed it, but a few things that bothered me (in addition to what has already been said about the death star redux):

I thought it would've been better to reveal that Ren was Han Solo's son on the bridge right before his death. Ren's emotional issues dealing with it could've been addressed through dialogue on the bridge. Yes, you knew Ren was Leia's kid, but I thought the way they revealed it was too anti-climactic, and you knew from the moment it was revealed that Han (or, "Solo") was going to die. That said, the bridge scene was still well done.

Ren was powerful enough to stop a blaster blast in midair, freeze Ray and throw her 40 feet in the air, and extract the map's whereabouts from Poe, but he couldn't destroy Finn in a lightsaber duel? Yeah, I know he won (and almost killed Finn), but, given how powerful he was, he should've been able to destroy a former Stormtrooper without too much trouble. I'm reminded of what happened when Lando betrayed Han and they opened the door at Cloud City and Vader was there. There was just no chance Han could do any damage to him. I know than Ren isn't as strong as Vader, but he still has the ability to use the force and Finn doesn't (I assume). It didn't really bother me that Rey was able to defeat Ren. I think the implication is that, even untrained (or having forgotten her training, whichever) she's just much more powerful than Ren.

I wish Maz Kanata hadn't been CGI. There was no need for it, it wasn't particularly well done, and I couldn't help but continually notice it. Also, I appreciate the homage to the Mos Isley cantina bar, but it was pretty lame in comparison. The music wasn't nearly as catchy, and I appreciated the vibe of Mos Isley being a "wretched hive of scum and villainy" that just wasn't there at Maz Kanata's.

I don't remember what they were called, but the things Han and Chewy had captured on their ship were somehow too scary and not scary enough. I didn't like that scene at all, although they way it ended (with Rey closing the door on them) was pretty cool.

Carrie Fisher's acting was pretty bad. I thought she sucked the energy out of pretty much every scene she was in. Maybe its because she was in so many scenes toward the end, but once Rey was captured by Ren, the pacing got really uneven and the story started seeming like a series of cuts.

Why was Ren punching his crossbow wound? I didn't understand that.

Rey was really just an excellent character. Excellent actress, excellent chemistry with every other character, excellent action sequences, and excellent dialogue. I'm old-fashioned enough to generally prefer my action-movie protagonist to be male, but she made a convert out of me. Plus, she's as attractive as Kiera Knightly and strikes me as having more depth.

Since I watched the trailer about 99 times with my kids, I was really wondering which character says "who are you?" To Rey at the beginning of the trailer. Did I miss that line in the movie or did it get cut?

Rey was really just an excellent character. Excellent actress, excellent chemistry with every other character, excellent action sequences, and excellent dialogue. I'm old-fashioned enough to generally prefer my action-movie protagonist to be male, but she made a convert out of me. Plus, she's as attractive as Kiera Knightly and strikes me as having more depth.

The PC crowd is all over Max Landis' ass for not liking Rey.

I posted before I saw your post. I'm not watching that guy for 10 minutes, but if he doesn't like Rey he doesn't know what he is talking about. There are flaws in this movie, but she isn't one of them.

I posted before I saw your post. I'm not watching that guy for 10 minutes, but if he doesn't like Rey he doesn't know what he is talking about. There are flaws in this movie, but she isn't one of them.

Basically, his point is that Rey was never in danger during the movie. Every situation, she is able to get out of it without any help. He compared that with Luke, who was constantly getting bailed out by other people throughout the original trilogy. Landis said that her lack of weakness made her character very flat (he compared her to John Cena). I thought that Rey was an engaging character, but Landis does have a point.

Basically, his point is that Rey was never in danger during the movie. Every situation, she is able to get out of it without any help. He compared that with Luke, who was constantly getting bailed out by other people throughout the original trilogy. Landis said that her lack of weakness made her character very flat (he compared her to John Cena). I thought that Rey was an engaging character, but Landis does have a point.

So, the girl who lived alone in a crashed tie fighter and was trading scrap metal for 1/2 of a biscuit, who valued a droid's life over 60 meals (or whatever it was), who was afraid to stay with Han because she wanted to be there when her long-lost family returned to Jakka, who was too scared of Luke's lightsaber to take it, who was frozen and captured by Ren, and who was thrown 40 feet against a tree by Ren didn't have any weaknesses? Okay.

Back