• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

SPOILERS: Star Wars: The Last Jedi Discussion Thread SPOILERS

Since I watched the trailer about 99 times with my kids, I was really wondering which character says "who are you?" To Rey at the beginning of the trailer. Did I miss that line in the movie or did it get cut?

Pretty sure it got cut but it was definitely Maz Kanada's voice (Lupita Nyong'o).

So, the girl who lived alone in a crashed tie fighter and was trading scrap metal for 1/2 of a biscuit, who valued a droid's life over 60 meals (or whatever it was), who was afraid to stay with Han because she wanted to be there when her long-lost family returned to Jakka, who was too scared of Luke's lightsaber to take it, who was frozen and captured by Ren, and who was thrown 40 feet against a tree by Ren didn't have any weaknesses? Okay.

She overcomes every situation in the film completely on her own, and sticks true to her ideals in the process. She is able to expertly pilot a ship she has never seen before, can repair said ship better that the former owner, is able to take down two highly trained and armed stormtroopers on her own, and can use the Force in ways that Luke was unable to until Empire (this may be explained later).

Not saying that I disliked the character at all, but I can certainly see his argument.

But it's just not accurate to claim she overcomes every situation on her own. When the tie fighters attack the village Finn is the one who realizes what is going on (IIRC), yes, she tells him not to take her hand but he is the one leading her out of trouble until they go for the millennium falcon, Finn shoots down at least one tie fighter when they are in the millennium falcon, she doesn't expertly pilot the millennium falcon at all; in fact, she almost crashes it a number of times and she claims that putting it in position to shoot the last tie fighter is an accident, Finn comes to rescue her from Rey (yes, she got away from him but she wan't out of harm's way when he found her), and Finn picks up the lightsaber and fights Ren when he throws her against the tree.

I just don't buy that her character is flat because she has no weaknesses.

He does mention that, but what consequences were there? She ends up escaping on her own anyway, so there was no real peril.

That doesn't even make logical sense. That's like saying the Panthers had no threat of losing today because they won.

Rey is incredibly skilled, compassionate, resourceful, reluctant to lead, ready to follow, but willing to step up when called upon to do so. All that makes for an engaging protagonist. Someone who overcomes their weakness still has weaknesses.

Last edited:
I don't remember what they were called, but the things Han and Chewy had captured on their ship were somehow too scary and not scary enough. I didn't like that scene at all, although they way it ended (with Rey closing the door on them) was pretty cool.

Carrie Fisher's acting was pretty bad. I thought she sucked the energy out of pretty much every scene she was in. Maybe its because she was in so many scenes toward the end, but once Rey was captured by Ren, the pacing got really uneven and the story started seeming like a series of cuts.

Totally agree on Carrie Fisher. Just can't get over how bad her scenes were.

Hadn't really thought much about those creatures but I agree with your take

Saw it for the second time yesterday. One thing I hadn't remembered from the first time is that when Rey is in her lair inside the AT-AT walker making her dinner, there is a stuffed straw doll of an X-wing pilot in the room. So does that mean she is Porkins' daughter?

Saw it for the second time yesterday. One thing I hadn't remembered from the first time is that when Rey is in her lair inside the AT-AT walker making her dinner, there is a stuffed straw doll of an X-wing pilot in the room. So does that mean she is Porkins' daughter?

Haha. I forgot about that. I think that might fuel the Luke rumors more than Perkins. Or Wedge

I thought it was a voodoo doll at first, like she was pissed at whoever left her there

did anybody else catch the little snippet toward the end when Rey was running through the snowy forest, and suddenly had on Finn's jacket without any explanation? Did I miss something there? Just me?

did anybody else catch the little snippet toward the end when Rey was running through the snowy forest, and suddenly had on Finn's jacket without any explanation? Did I miss something there? Just me?

it happened. i don't think they showed him give the jacket. i just assumed she was still wearing her desert scavenger outfit and he shared it to give her a little cover.

Why was there an argument about how the force is transmitted when, to me, it seems pretty obvious they are going to explain it in the next film. Afterall, isn't Luke at the temple where either the first Jedi was trained, or the force was first realized, or something of that nature?

Why was there an argument about how the force is transmitted when, to me, it seems pretty obvious they are going to explain it in the next film. Afterall, isn't Luke at the temple where either the first Jedi was trained, or the force was first realized, or something of that nature?

Oh for reals? OK. We won't bother talking about what may be in the next film. Thx.

;)

the worst thing this franchise can do is talk more about the nuts and bolts of the Force

Agreed. Leave that to the nerds like us.

yea, to me that was an awesome example of why this movie was so much better than the PT -- they didn't unnecessarily force it down our throats or anything, but an cool little touch / piece of detail that adds to the characters.

Did anyone else catch Millennium Falcon laser cannon goof? It was damaged and locked outward, but after they destroyed the last tie fighter and changed the camera angle facing outward; it was back in its original undamaged position.

Finn's stormtrooper name/number was FN-2187. Leia's cell in A New Hope is 2187.

For PH and others who are trying to figure out if there kids are too young. My 9 year old loved it, definitely not too much for him. My 6 year old (literally 6, saw it on his birthday) also loved it as he is a complete nut about all things Star Wars. I could only convince my wife to let him go see a pg-13 movie under one condition...that I sit next to him and cover his eyes during any thing too "scary". I covered his eyes a couple of times, when the creatures that Han was smuggling were attacking Finn and Rey, when all the planets were destroyed ( I was afraid he was going see someone's face melt off), and when the thing happened to Han solo( I was a little slow on the trigger there, it caught me by surprise.). So a big win for dad to get to take both boys , everybody loved the movie ( even mom), and I don't think my 6 year old was scarred for life. Now the trailers....oh boy....those were a little intense for a 6 year old and he pretty much had to sit through most of the trailers with his eyes closed.

Back