• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

SPOILERS: Star Wars: The Last Jedi Discussion Thread SPOILERS

After the stormtroopers torched the village, my wife turned to me and said "we aren't brining them." I agreed. Han's death sealed it.

who the F is max von sydow, ya'll

or is he no one we know and just wanted dat sweet SW's IMDb cred

i was struggling about my 6 yo as well. we have been watching rebels and clone wars but it's a little easier to let her think that the clones that get shot are ok because of their armor when it's a cartoon.

i told her when she turns 7 in september we can begin watching the originals. thinking it's be machete order but might relent and include ep 1. that gives us a year to watch the 7 episodes and then she can get excited about seeing her first (episode 8) in the theater. i was 2, 4 and 6/7 when the originals came out and. i only saw rotj in the theater and that was still pretty exciting.

After the stormtroopers torched the village, my wife turned to me and said "we aren't brining them." I agreed. Han's death sealed it.

I actually got the reverse of the expected question about Han ... instead of asking about what happened to Han when he died, leaving this movie he asked why Obi Wan just disappeared into his robe when he got hit with Darth Vader's lightsaber in IV.

Finn's stormtrooper name/number was FN-2187. Leia's cell in A New Hope is 2187.
Yes. Also, I noticed that, at some point, someone addressed a stormtrooper with an I.D. beginning with "TK". In A New Hope, the stormtroopers knocked out and impersonated by Luke and Han were TK-421 and TK-422 respectively.

My initial reaction was that it was decent, not great.

Finn - the most compelling character, for me. A solider that is highly conflicted about what he is ordered to do. The scenes where he removes his helmet, hyperventilating, and his hesitation at the village, were the best character development scenes. There were enough parallels to "real life" that helped me buy into this character. He had charisma and fun moments to not be too overbearing. The only real replacement for a Han Solo type.

Rey - I'm more on the side of Landis on this. Her use of the force, after a day, was tough to accept considering the precedent we have seen with other characters that took significantly longer periods of time to become proficient. It looks like they will reveal Rey as a former student, which mitigates some of the issue but I did not like her being portrayed nearly on par with a Jedi. Flying the Falcon well immediately, when it has been established that only experienced pilots familiar with her can do it in battle situations (Han, Lando). All the technical knowledge? A very good fighter against multiple opponents simultaneously?

Yet, what we know of her life (so far) is simple: a scarp scavenger, alone. In the desert. How could she have such wide knowledge of all these things, that are usually divided up between several characters, let alone one?

I also think the actress was miscast in this role. My thought was a Charlize Theron in Mad Max type would have been a more convincing Rey.

Sounds like I'm in the minority, though. Perhaps the plot will fill-in some of the gaps IE she has been training since youth as a Jedi. But she felt like a Marvel Comics hero, while Finn felt more realistic, relatively.

Kylo Ren - Didn't love that he took off the mask. This may have been the hardest character to make work... you have to show power but serious conflict and vulnerability. That's not easy to pull off. They did much better than Anakin in the prequels. There is tons of room for development here. Adam Driver's portrayal grew on me the more I thought about it.

Story/plot: Is the First Order supposed to be more powerful than the Empire? Their weapon was much more impressive. Another iteration of the Death Star was disappointing. They could have thought of better plot devices here. Space battles were surprisingly flat as several people mentioned, go back and watch the Battle of Endor, it holds up really well.

Overall, I was entertained. 95% on RT though? Yeah... but I respect how hard it is to satisfy the super-fans and bring in new ones. These characters are some of the most loved in cinematic history.

It was better than the prequels, though I did like Ewan McGregor a lot as a young Obi Wan. I'll be interested to see what the two standalone films will be like, in comparison. I was surprised how much of a focus the old characters were, I was expecting just short cameos.

man, rey seemed way more interesting than Finn to me.

Poe was underutilized, IMO

Underutilized is the perfect way to describe him. I feel like we know nothing about him and he's portrayed by way too good of an actor for that to be the case.

Certainly not going to disagree but in the movie he's an established resistance fighter. The movie really is about Rey and Finn beginning their journey.

Saw it this morning and loved every bit of it. I had a smile on my face the entire time.

As other people said, every bit was predictable, but very enjoyable.

I had one criticism, but I've even forgotten what that was.

man, rey seemed way more interesting than Finn to me.

Poe was underutilized, IMO

Underutilized because we had Han Solo in this movie. It seems pretty clear to me that he'll provide the comic relief going forward that Solo did previously.

I remember my problem(s) in the movie.

1. If they're supported by the Republic, shouldn't The Resistance be far more formidable?

2. Where does The First Order get the resources to build a new Death Star?

Can we assume when the Starkiller base (that name, ugh) destroyed the Coruscant system?

Starkiller is an homage to the originally plan to call him Luke Starkiller, right?

I thought it was called Starkiller because it left a dead star behind after charging itself.

Back