• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

SPOILERS: Star Wars: The Last Jedi Discussion Thread SPOILERS

yea or nay:

rey is luke's daughter and gets pissed and him for abandoning her and refusing to come out of exile and subsequently falls to the dark side? which in turn ends up forcing luke to leave his planet.

Rey is Luke's daughter, but none of the rest of that will happen. Disney is trying to make more money by having Stars Wars appeal more to girls. They're not going to allow their major push to add a young female audience be derailed by turning their major new heroine into a villain.

Rewatching the OGs now and i had forgotten how awful the CGI add-ins are. We have the DVDs but does anyone know if the blu-Rays have the original cut? I'm not spending a dime watching Han pretend to talk to an awful looking Jabba outside of Mos Eisley.

That's doubtful. I think we could see Lando but not like that. Also Abrams isn't doing Ep 8 and I think it would probably be less reliant on the source material.

Abrams isn't directing but he is still producing right?

he will be listed as a producer but i don't know how much of a direct hand he will have in writing/story creation etc. someone else might follow that a little more closely.

Rewatching the OGs now and i had forgotten how awful the CGI add-ins are. We have the DVDs but does anyone know if the blu-Rays have the original cut? I'm not spending a dime watching Han pretend to talk to an awful looking Jabba outside of Mos Eisley.

They do not. The original cuts of Ep. IV-VI only exist on unletterboxed VHS, and maybe laserdisc. Lucas is a bastard.

Rey is Luke's daughter, but none of the rest of that will happen. Disney is trying to make more money by having Stars Wars appeal more to girls. They're not going to allow their major push to add a young female audience be derailed by turning their major new heroine into a villain.

yeah, you are right. but the one thing i'm afraid of is too much of a stereotypical good guy vs bad guy situation -- they did a great job with kylo ren in that aspect, but i'm afraid that they could go in a direction where it's maybe lacking in nuance.

i actually think the majority of the changes (most pretty small) were positive. especially changing the track at the end of ROTJ to victory celebration which is amazing. but the fewer smaller changes were just so annoyingly stupid.

They do not. The original cuts of Ep. IV-VI only exist on unletterboxed VHS, and maybe laserdisc. Lucas is a bastard.

I have a friend who has a friend, etc., who got me copies of the original originals in HD letterboxed on 3 separate external drives. I didn't ask questions.

The remastered originals are unwatchable to me.

And Disney didn't get the distribution rights to those if I remember correctly. I was hoping they could release them after Lucas dies.

I don't even think we will get a plot line of Rey even getting close to succumbing to true dark side.

yeah, you are right. but the one thing i'm afraid of is too much of a stereotypical good guy vs bad guy situation -- they did a great job with kylo ren in that aspect, but i'm afraid that they could go in a direction where it's maybe lacking in nuance.

I love Star Wars, but nuance has never been among its attributes. Frankly, I appreciate the simplicity. Dark side vs. not dark side. Any questions? Okay, let's fight. Before Ren, Anakin was the only character who has really ever been conflicted on that point, and we knew which way that was headed from the start.

i actually think the majority of the changes (most pretty small) were positive. especially changing the track at the end of ROTJ to victory celebration which is amazing. but the fewer smaller changes were just so annoyingly stupid.
Ugh, you would, REPLACEMENTdeac.

I hate every single one of those changes. They're awful. I have the VHS originals, but no VCR. Some day I'll go buy one for five bucks and watch them with my children.

Most Star Wars fans had seen the "Han in Docking Bay 94 with Jabba" scene when it was just Han. Everybody was really pumped for the adding of Jabba for Special Edition, but it turned out awfully.

Apropos to nothing, I'm a Star Wars geek, but I will never use the word "youngling," unless it is to say I will not use the word "youngling."

I love Star Wars, but nuance has never been among its attributes. Frankly, I appreciate the simplicity. Dark side vs. not dark side. Any questions? Okay, let's fight. Before Ren, Anakin was the only character who has really ever been conflicted on that point, and we knew which way that was headed from the start.

There was some question about Luke at the start of RotJ, I guess.

I have a friend who has a friend, etc., who got me copies of the original originals in HD letterboxed on 3 separate external drives. I didn't ask questions.

The remastered originals are unwatchable to me.

Do you prefer Yub Nub to the remastered ending?

anyone who tries to claim they prefer yub nub over victory celebration (which is one of the better things john williams has ever written) just isn't able to think with objectivity.

Last edited:
Apropos to nothing, I'm a Star Wars geek, but I will never use the word "youngling," unless it is to say I will not use the word "youngling."

You'll have to explain how using the word "youngling" is worse than using "apropos."

how is this:

sandcrawler1977.jpg

better than this:

sandcrawler1997.jpg

Back