• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

SPOILERS: Star Wars: The Last Jedi Discussion Thread SPOILERS

They look the same to me. #replacementdeachotlinks

I actually prefer yub nub. I know it's cheesy but that is the true ending for me- it's smaller and feels more personal, more relevant to Luke's journey. The other ending is too bombastic.

Yub nub for me. That's what the f'ing Ewoks would sound like singing, they wouldn't magically start singing like the Mormon Tabernacle Choir.

Ugh, you would, REPLACEMENTdeac.

I hate every single one of those changes. They're awful. I have the VHS originals, but no VCR. Some day I'll go buy one for five bucks and watch them with my children.

Most Star Wars fans had seen the "Han in Docking Bay 94 with Jabba" scene when it was just Han. Everybody was really pumped for the adding of Jabba for Special Edition, but it turned out awfully.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Limited-Edition-Star-Wars-Original-Trilogy-Theatrical-Cut-Empire-Jedi-DVD-set-/331737448312?hash=item4d3d17bf78:g:~VoAAOSwSdZWd2Fl

Wouldn't these be what you are looking for?

Apologies if already posted, but part three of the "What if the Prequels were good?" came out last week. I think these are a great re-write of all the prequels and are fun to imagine as films.

Some of the visual tweaks to the films were not bad (i.e. fixing the sandspeeder scenes so the effect is a little smoother than the original vaseline on the camera lens method, adding some extra x-wings here and there, etc.). Han shooting second and that ridiculous Jabba in the spaceport scene are unforgivable.

I actually prefer yub nub. I know it's cheesy but that is the true ending for me- it's smaller and feels more personal, more relevant to Luke's journey. The other ending is too bombastic.

Agree with this.

The other ending also doesn't make political sense. The Empire was more than two guys and a Death Star. I doubt the people on those planet ruled by the Empire would just start setting off fireworks without retribution from those sympathetic and who worked for the Empire.

Some of the visual tweaks to the films were not bad (i.e. fixing the sandspeeder scenes so the effect is a little smoother than the original vaseline on the camera lens method, adding some extra x-wings here and there, etc.). Han shooting second and that ridiculous Jabba in the spaceport scene are unforgivable.

I hated the Mos Eisley establishing shot, too. So much bad CGI.

I'm certainly not a Star Wars expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I think if Ray is Luke's daughter that she couldhave aspects of succumbing to the dark side. That entire family is a balance between using the force for good and bad (other than Leia who doesn't seem to have ever been taught to use the force) right? Doesn't seem too far afield for Ray to have similar issues.

yall yub nub fanbois are crazy. victory celebration is the perfect end to the OT.

agreed that adding the victory shots from other planets was dumb.

so much more redemptive and emotional

Last edited:

most of the tweaks were small and minor improvements, nostalgia (or faux nostalgia in betterphan's case) aside. of course the things like han/greedo, jabba, vader's nooooo, etc. made the changes a huge disaster overall.

Last edited:
@KyloR3n

Worth a follow.

Apologies if already posted, but part three of the "What if the Prequels were good?" came out last week. I think these are a great re-write of all the prequels and are fun to imagine as films.

Never saw those before, but I like them a lot.

Yes! I didn't know that there was a 2006 widescreen release of the original theatrical versions. The internet says that they were sold as "bonus discs" for the 2004 DVD release which was, I think, Special Edition. Apparently they are not very good versions, drawn from the Laserdisc versions in letterboxes widescreen rather than anamorphic widescreen (whatever that means).

I just found the VHS tapes and I'm going to see if my dad can convert them to digital and burn them on DVDs. Quality won't be great, but I don't care so much.

most of the tweaks were small and minor improvements, nostalgia (or faux nostalgia in betterphan's case) aside. of course the things like han/greedo, jabba, vader's nooooo, etc. made the changes a huge disaster overall.

How is it possibly "faux" nostalgia? It is, by definition, exactly nostalgia. Other than the ones you've named, the series of awful establishing shots, dewbacks, the horrible Sarlacc animations, and, very worst of all, is the awful lounge singer at Jabba's palace. That has got to be one of the worst abominations in cinematic history.

The only addition that I can remember liking is the Luke/Biggs scene on Tatooine.

"Victory Celebration," or whatever it's called, is indeed a masterwork. I just don't like the animations that accompanied it.

Stopped at Panera for a quick dinner with the family. Our food is order 66. We gotta get out of here.

Did I mishear, or in the opening act, did Poe call Finn "John" when he got his first takedown in the TIE fighter? I was almost positive I heard that, and thought it would have been a pretty funny slip for JJ to leave in there.

I didn't notice, but if it's there I wonder if it's an homage to Luke calling Leia "Carrie!" at the end of the New Hope after returning from destroying the Death Star.

Back