• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

SPOILERS: Star Wars: The Last Jedi Discussion Thread SPOILERS

He seemed to channel Hayden Christian Anakin in the scenes with his mask off.

The character has temper tantrums, got his ass handed to him by someone with no discipline, and killed off the coolest character in the franchise in a deceptive, candy ass way. Not cause of his hair or face. It's how the character was written

I like that they brought back the blue lightsaber though. Wonder how that got there.

The character has temper tantrums, got his ass handed to him by someone with no discipline, and killed off the coolest character in the franchise in a deceptive, candy ass way. Not cause of his hair or face. It's how the character was written

I'm just awkwardly saying he reminds me of Anakin in the scenes when he takes his mask off. I don't mean how he looks, his personality.

Some quick #hottakes:

-Main complaint is that the battle scenes with fighters didn't really deliver. Not a whole lot of tension, new X-Wings look like cheap toys, too much going on.

-Everything else delivered in spades. It was funny when appropriate, nostalgic when appropriate, serious, tender and emotional when it had to be, it all worked.

-Maybe most impressive is how they were able to develop characters as well as they did at that pace. It's by far the fastest paced Star Wars. Seemed like there was very little time when the action wasn't totally frenetic, but this didn't come at the expense of the characters. Or really at the expense of much at all, except I guess X-Wings.

-Acting and dialogue were phenomenal. None of that coarse sand that gets everywhere shit.

Last edited:
Some quick #hottakes:

-Main complaint is that the battle scenes with fighters didn't really deliver. Not a whole lot of tension, new X-Wings look like cheap toys, too much going on.

-Everything else delivered in spades. It was funny when appropriate, nostalgic when appropriate, serious, tender and emotional when it had to be, it all worked.

-Maybe most impressive is how they were able to develop characters as well as they did at that pace. It's by far the fastest paced Star Wars. Seemed like there was very little time when the action wasn't totally frenetic, but this didn't come at the expense of the characters. Or really at the expense of much at all, except I guess X-Wings.

-Acting and dialogue were phenomenal. None of that course sand that gets everywhere shit.

This is the cinema equivalent of saying "at least the coach is better than redacted".

Acting was excellent. New characters were very good and setup nicely for the future so it did its job on that front. It was also entertaining. I found the Death Star part three and the way it unfolded to mirror episode 4 to be a little disappointing. You knew how it was going to go about 45 minutes in. Enjoyable, solid, not blown away is my initial take.

Very fun movie. Obnoxiously predictable. My initial reaction was that I'm glad we got it out of the way so we can have some new storytelling.

People wanted the prequel trilogy to be Star Wars again. This was blatant pandering to that, but not in a cheesy way. I stayed away from any information whatsoever about the movie as soon as the trailer came out. My hunch is that Rey is Ren's sister only because the movie was packed full of recycled tropes from the original trilogy and this would play on some of the Luke and Leia hiding from Vader element. The actress who played Rey is better than just about anyone in the original trilogy so that's exciting.

I'm going to doubt the brother/sister angle. Surely Leia would have sensed something when they met, even if Han didn't.

I'm assuming "just about" means excluding Alec Guinness.

Was Max Von Sydow's character supposed to be someone familiar? Couldn't place him but it seemed like they hinted at it when Kylo told him he'd gotten old.

I'm going to doubt the brother/sister angle. Surely Leia would have sensed something when they met, even if Han didn't.

I'm assuming "just about" means excluding Alec Guinness.

I think Han did know. That's why he wanted her to fly with him.

Rey is Luke's daughter? Or they going out of left field with a Yoda lovechild?

Rey is definitely related to someone important. Maybe Luke. Hard to say who.

I think Han did know. That's why he wanted her to fly with him.

First impression is that it can't be Luke's kid, because Jedi are supposed to be celibate. Then I remember back to my childhood novel-reading and remember that Luke definitely had a lady-friend and probably had a kid. Then I remember that none of that is canon anymore.

My bet is that it's definitely another Han/Leia lovechild. Gotta be the Jacen/Jaina angle somehow. Although it's real weird that they wouldn't, like, remember having another child. But the Rey/Han conversations/finishing-eachother's-sandwiches and Rey/Leia hug-fest strongly suggest this course.

REMEMBER, in Rey's lightsaber-induced flashback she recalls a childhood memory where her parents are flying away and Ren is holding her hand and talking to her. Weird. Would definitely make sense that she is their kid, so that Luke can try again. Just makes sense thematically and narratively.

I like that they brought back the blue lightsaber though. Wonder how that got there.

It fell down the air shafts in Cloud City on Bespin. In one of the books -- which, I can't remember -- some group took his hand and lightsaber and cloned him. Would make fine sense for someone to retrieve it and hold on to it as a relic.

Some quick #hottakes:

-Acting and dialogue were phenomenal. None of that coarse sand that gets everywhere shit.

Agreed, though the fighter battles didn't bother me so much while watching. I think that this film was a lot less focused on the "space" part, and more character-driven. Most of the fighter battles were on the surface anyways.

Very fun movie. Obnoxiously predictable. My initial reaction was that I'm glad we got it out of the way so we can have some new storytelling.

People wanted the prequel trilogy to be Star Wars again. This was blatant pandering to that, but not in a cheesy way. I stayed away from any information whatsoever about the movie as soon as the trailer came out. My hunch is that Rey is Ren's sister only because the movie was packed full of recycled tropes from the original trilogy and this would play on some of the Luke and Leia hiding from Vader element. The actress who played Rey is better than just about anyone in the original trilogy so that's exciting.

It was predictable, yes, but not obnoxiously in my opinion. No more predictable than I wanted or expected it to be. In some ways, that predictability is what attracts people to cult-series like this.

Was Max Von Sydow's character supposed to be someone familiar? Couldn't place him but it seemed like they hinted at it when Kylo told him he'd gotten old.

My friends and I had the same conversation. Our only guess was Wedge Antilles: he's the right age, the only major recurring character that might be interesting, and they might use it to promote continuity with Rogue Squadron. Did anybody get to see the promised Rouge Squadron trailer? I didn't.

Last edited:
What's the reason Han and Leia would have just abandoned Rey? That doesn't make sense.

I'll root for her to be Obi-Wan's kid.

The way they (Han + Leia) treated Rey suggests some sort of relation, but wouldn't they just tell her if she was their daughter? But that's just me assuming most people would side with their parents instead of brother (who killed dad, btw)

Predictable? Sure. Not at all a complex movie, but basically all the things that made the first movie what it was.

All in all, JJ got it right.

Rey has an accent. It'd be weird for her to have that if she were their kid.

Is it possible that Finn is related to ladykiller Lando?

Pretty obvious he doesn't have any Windu blood in him.

Rey has an accent. It'd be weird for her to have that if she were their kid.

True, but she was clearly abandoned at an early age. Also lots of weird accent stuff going on in the movies, if you think about it.

Back