• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

SPOILERS: Star Wars: The Last Jedi Discussion Thread SPOILERS

Is Snoke Darth Plagueis?

rNIwD3U.gif

I thought it was confirmed a while ago that that was just to serve the trailer thematically.

Though I think it probably lends credence to the idea that Rey is related to Luke.

Could it be more of Luke saying that about Kylo/Ben? I don't think so but it could be.

While I agree that this movie was basically an Episode IV redux, I also think that's exactly what the masses really wanted. After the prequels got bogged down in politics, people wanted a simple good vs evil story to intro the new characters and set the stage for the second act, which is really where the story will actually become important.

New Star Wars movie - opinions?

I don't care how tastefully it's done, you shouldn't kill off Hans Solo.

While I agree that this movie was basically an Episode IV redux, I also think that's exactly what the masses really wanted. After the prequels got bogged down in politics, people wanted a simple good vs evil story to intro the new characters and set the stage for the second act, which is really where the story will actually become important.

Yeah. It helps that it was also really well done throughout. I actually thought that it was pretty good at subverting expectations at a few spots in the story, and I was impressed by how well the major plot points were kept under wraps.

The best part was how well the cast interacted. Finn and Rey have INSANE chemistry. It's going to be so much fun watching them interact for the next x amount of films. Finn and Poe, too. Poe in general seems like a great character, and I'd like to know more about him... Oscar Isaac stole every scene he was in.

I like that all three had strong shades of Luke/Han/Leia without devolving into straight parallels.

I also sort of would like to seem a Force sensitive character not related to the Skywalkers, but beggars can't be choosers, I guess.

I don't care how tastefully it's done, you shouldn't kill off Hans Solo.

Jesus Rico, started another thread about Star Wars even though this one already exists/is well marked AND you didn't mention you were putting a giant spoiler in the first post. Cmon man, get your shit together.

Merged your thread in with this one, where at least people will expect spoilers.

First actual blood in a Star Wars movie that I remember.

Yeah, that was pretty jarring. I thought it was a really good way to first introduce Finn's change of heart, and later in the scene as a clever marker to differentiate him from the other Storm Troopers in the chaos.

Daniel Craig played the stormtrooper that Rey used the force on.

It was a good movie. It was formulaic but after the craptastic prequels, it's been a while since we've blown up a Death Star. The final act sputtered a bit and I'm not sure about Ren and the supreme leader as villains, but I'm excited to see where they take it. This felt like a nice reset and it was very enjoyable.

Pretty sure there was blood in the Cantina scene in Episode 4 after Obi Wan chopped dude's arm off

It was in Return of the Jedi when Luke is telling Leia they are brother and sister

No. Absolutely re-recorded for the promos; it also didn't appear in the film (unless I was in the pisser).

I thought it was confirmed a while ago that that was just to serve the trailer thematically.

Though I think it probably lends credence to the idea that Rey is related to Luke.

Agreed on the first part, not so sure on the second. See my earlier post. [although "related" is really vague, so I guess I agree -- they definitely are related. She wouldn't be drawn to his lightsaber otherwise. Plus, when Ren yell's "that's mine", it's pretty clear that no, it's definitely supposed to be hers.]

Is Kylo not his real first name? I know Ren is more of a title, and it sounded like Han shouted "Ben!" at him when he was on the catwalk.

They mentioned Kylo was a member of the "Knights of Ren". A sort of sithy-scion?

Definitely called him Ben. My friend called that too while we were live in the movies. "I bet he's named after Ben Kenobi"

Yes, most definitely sounded like "Ben". Ben Kenobi is as good a guess as any.

Is Snoke Darth Plagueis?

My first impression was that it looked a hell of a lot like Tarkin. Did he survive DS1? MAKES YOU WONDER? I'm glad that was a hologram, though, and he's not some gigantic Avengers-type villain.

Agreed.

Pretty sure there was blood in the Cantina scene in Episode 4 after Obi Wan chopped dude's arm off

Absolutely. Ponda Baba's right arm gets CHOPPED with some blood. I can't think of any other instances off of the top of my head.

Last edited:
Also, Ren has to be Leia's daughter. Leia didn't know about anything that went down on the death star and still said "may be the force be with you" and sent her to Luke.

Leia has the force and she probably uses it emphatically particularly with respect to her family. I'm guessing she knew Ben killed Han and Rey supposedly killed Ben.

And yes, he was definitely named after Obi Wan. No reason to think otherwise.

Yeah. It helps that it was also really well done throughout. I actually thought that it was pretty good at subverting expectations at a few spots in the story, and I was impressed by how well the major plot points were kept under wraps.

The best part was how well the cast interacted. Finn and Rey have INSANE chemistry. It's going to be so much fun watching them interact for the next x amount of films. Finn and Poe, too. Poe in general seems like a great character, and I'd like to know more about him... Oscar Isaac stole every scene he was in.

I like that all three had strong shades of Luke/Han/Leia without devolving into straight parallels.

I also sort of would like to seem a Force sensitive character not related to the Skywalkers, but beggars can't be choosers, I guess.

Good take. The acting was fantastic and the leads were excellent. This film was exactly what it needed to be to show that Disney can be trusted with the property and to set up two new Star Wars movies coming in the next 18 months.

Two big things stuck with me. First, Rey is an excellent character. Just incredibly written and acted. There was so much to like about her. I had the same feeling when she force pushed Luke's lightsaber that I did watching Elsa sing "Let It Go" in theaters. Rey is going to be an icon of female empowerment for many years to come. This is going to be a thing.

I understand why people may be thrown off by the fact she used the force and seemingly mastered it without any training. It goes against everything else we've seen. To me it made narrative sense. First, it's in the title. "The Force Awakens." The Force awakens Rey. The Force awakens within Rey. She just needed to know what it was. Also, it was established early on that she was a skilled fighter when she took down the Stormtroopers. If Finn could be competent with a lightsaber, surely Rey could be dominant in order to establish how strong she is in the Force.

Second, this movie set up more prequels than it did sequels. Ben's turn to the dark side could be the subject of an Empire-like film in itself. Maybe it will be in flashbacks. Who are Rey's parents? How did she end up on Jakku? Why did she steadfastly believe they were coming back for her? Why did they leave her? She was around 8 years old or so when she was left behind and she's maybe 20-ish? That's not that long ago. Who was Max Von Sydow's character? How does he know Kylo Ren, perhaps Han and Leia.

I've thought for months that Kylo Ren and Rey were brother and sister, but I'm not sure why they would hold such an obvious reveal for the next movie. "Oh yeah, that guy you watched get killed? That was your father. And that guy you killed to avenge his death was your brother."

The films need to reestablish that anybody could possibly have the Force and don't need to have Force parents.

A few minor things I didn't like. A random part of the map mysteriously goes missing. First, seems like the First Order had enough resources to search the entire missing portion. Second, R2D2 just happened to wake up at the end? Perhaps Luke activated him in some way? I don't know. Is the scene with he and Luke a flash forward?

Captain Phasma was wasted. Perhaps she survived and returns? Not sure. But she was basically a evil lady boss. It was nice to see a female ordinary Stormtrooper though.

Wait wat. Rey didn't kill Ben.. I'm pretty he's still alive/was saved by the earth splitting apart.

A few minor things I didn't like. A random part of the map mysteriously goes missing. First, seems like the First Order had enough resources to search the entire missing portion. Second, R2D2 just happened to wake up at the end? Perhaps Luke activated him in some way? I don't know. Is the scene with he and Luke a flash forward?

Yeah, that wasn't totally believable. But yes, the latter bit is probably closest to right: once the force was "awakened" -- Rey had discovered her powers -- the map is completed so that she can find Luke to be properly trained.

Wait wat. Rey didn't kill Ben.. I'm pretty he's still alive/was saved by the earth splitting apart.

Agreed. Definitely still alive. Finn was more "dead" than him at the end of the film, and they made an effort to talk about his having a pulse.

I'm about 90% convinced Rey is Luke's daughter somehow. Han/Leia would have said something if it was their kid, but I can buy them not telling her (once they realized who it was) and letting Luke do it if she was his.

Certainly not unthinkable that Rey and Ren were separated at a young age to protect them. We have precedent.

Storm troopers that follow the status quo are traditionally incompetent or pretty easy to take down. Would have liked to see her die on screen in a cool way instead of being trash food

I'm about 90% convinced Rey is Luke's daughter somehow. Han/Leia would have said something if it was their kid, but I can buy them not telling her (once they realized who it was) and letting Luke do it if she was his.

Like I mentioned earlier, there is definitely literary precedent for Luke having lady-friends, but the prequels made a big deal about Jedi-celibacy.

Back