• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

SPOILERS: Star Wars: The Last Jedi Discussion Thread SPOILERS

My biggest issue was the final Rey-Kylo fight. I know he hasn't "finished his training" yet but he can't beat someone that found out she can use the force 30 minutes ago and picked up a lightsaber for the first time 10 seconds ago? Come on dude. The deus ex machina should have saved her, not him. She should not have been strong enough to beat the bad guy in her first fight scene.

My biggest issue was the final Rey-Kylo fight. I know he hasn't "finished his training" yet but he can't beat someone that found out she can use the force 30 minutes ago and picked up a lightsaber for the first time 10 seconds ago? Come on dude. The deus ex machina should have saved her, not him. She should not have been strong enough to beat the bad guy in her first fight scene.

Don't forget he was also suffering from a blaster wound right to the gut...

I enjoyed it. Yeah, they blew up yet ANOTHER frigging Death Star, but overall I thought it was well paced, funny at the appropriate times, and the most emotionally compelling since Empire. Also thought it was the best in the series since Empire. No fucking Ewoks or otherwise cutesy bullshit George Lucas characters. They did a good job with developing the new characters too.

It isn't the original Star Wars, but that was lightning in a bottle and the right film at the right time with precedent setting special effects. It doesn't need to have the impact of the original because it simply can't. The world of Star Wars is not new and can only be amended, not recreated. JJ did about as good a job as could be done.

I know. I guess I meant they shouldn't have let him lose no matter what the situation. Don't have him get shot. Have her put up a better fight that he would expect but still not be nearly strong enough to take him on quite yet.

He got Chewy's blaster in the abdomen. It's a minor miracle that he could even walk. I thought her use of the force was extremely limited in this film. She was able to resist his mind probing, but it isn't like he has experience with people resisting that move either. She got the saber to move. That's about it. Her fight moves she knew already.

I'm also thinking that he is pretty early along in his training, like Luke was in Empire. Stopping that blaster in mid-air at the beginning was pretty badass though.

Her attempt at the mind trick was one of my favorite parts of the movie. She had to have heard rumors of that as a part of the "stories" she referenced. Watching her realize that she was Force-sensitive and that she could maybe be able to get away with that was a lot of fun.

L
it was pretty awesome. everything about ben solo or whatever is name is was perfect. my favorite part of the movie might have been when we find out he's wearing the mask for aesthetic reasons.

could have done without the overt comparisons to the third reich (as an empire sympathizer) and I was disappointed in the music (seemed to have been pushed back in the mix too, was drowned out by the sfx) and I had little interest in the space battle.

Luke's theme was very prominent for a few Rey scenes. None of new selections in the score stood out as much as Duel of the Fates did in Phantom Menace.

My wife just texted me pissed that we haven't seen any Rey dolls in all the stores we've been in for Christmas shopping.

I liked the new character scores, and loved when they interacted with the old ones.
I really liked the new theme that came in for Rey's slide down the hill early on. Wish that had been given some more time.

I'm also thinking that he is pretty early along in his training, like Luke was in Empire. Stopping that blaster in mid-air at the beginning was pretty badass though.

Agreed. This, I thought, actually lent a lot of suspense to his scene with Han, too. I sort of thought they'd have him switch over and finally go with the father-and-son arc they teased at the end of RotJ.

If Rey is Luke's daughter, is it possible that her mother is the one who betrayed Luke? Did the movie specifically say it was Ben Solo?

Maybe Rey learned some skills when she was inside Ben's head.

He got Chewy's blaster in the abdomen. It's a minor miracle that he could even walk. I thought her use of the force was extremely limited in this film. She was able to resist his mind probing, but it isn't like he has experience with people resisting that move either. She got the saber to move. That's about it. Her fight moves she knew already.

Her attempt at the mind trick was one of my favorite parts of the movie. She had to have heard rumors of that as a part of the "stories" she referenced. Watching her realize that she was Force-sensitive and that she could maybe be able to get away with that was a lot of fun.

Agreed. I thought it was pretty clear her use of the force was limited, yet there was power there to be harnessed. I think much like Fin her use of a light saber was based on her scavenger lifestyle and the fact she has had to fight for herself her entire life

Luke's theme was very prominent for a few Rey scenes. None of new selections in the score stood out as much as Duel of the Fates did in Phantom Menace.

My wife just texted me pissed that we haven't seen any Rey dolls in all the stores we've been in for Christmas shopping.

new arrangements of the force theme and the han/leia theme but nothing new. and even aside from leitmotifs, the battle music (especially the first one where the resistance ships save the gang) was pretty generic and way too on the button, imo. let's face it, my boi j-dubs kinda mailed it in. probably spending too much time with his grandkids or something.

battle of the heroes during the obi-wan-anakin duel and especially the battle of yavin are the best examples, imo. i think the latter is the best scored piece of film ever created:

can't even begin to describe the genius of that phrase that comes in at 2:32 (i actually hate that it's reused later)

Agreed. This, I thought, actually lent a lot of suspense to his scene with Han, too. I sort of thought they'd have him switch over and finally go with the father-and-son arc they teased at the end of RotJ.

That scene was fantastic. I too thought he might turn. Then the sun left, and you could see the shadow cross his face

They really, really spent some time and dialogue emphasizing the power of Chewie's bowcaster. The fact that Ren was walking after that was supposed to be pretty surprising.

major bummer: no 20th century fox music fanfare

The Alamo Drafthouse brought in a full brass band to play it right before the premiere. Pretty amazing.

It's also possible, even more likely, that if she were to have suddenly gained knowledge of the force somewhere, it was from touching Luke's lightsaber in the chest.

Agree with this. When you consider that this is probably the first time that he has dueled with a Jedi and he's doing it after taking a bowcaster shot to the gut and Finn injuring him and he's fighting against a force sensitive person who's already skilled with melee weapons, it's totally understandable that he would lose.

The blaster shot stop was bad fucking ass and looked dope in 3D.

That scene was fantastic. I too thought he might turn. Then the sun left, and you could see the shadow cross his face

The use of color was phenomenal. His face starts half blue, half red and slowly goes to red before killing Han.

If Rey is Luke's daughter, is it possible that her mother is the one who betrayed Luke? Did the movie specifically say it was Ben Solo?

I think she might be Luke's daughter or, at the very least, someone who was training at Luke's academy prior to it being wiped out. She has a memory or vision of it happening, which leads me to believe that she was there and Luke was somehow able to get her out, wipe her memory, and hide her. This would set her up to closely follow Luke's arc in the OT and can also explain how she is aware of Jedi mind tricks, basic light saber stuff, etc.

I also think that Kylo Ren knows more about her than he has let on. He got super pissed when they told him Finn was with a girl on Jakku and if the above theory is true, then he might know that there is another Jedi hidden somewhere.

Back