• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

SPOILERS: Star Wars: The Last Jedi Discussion Thread SPOILERS

Did Anakin learn the dark side in III? He was just seduced to want to learn it.

Kylo learned from Snoke but not much before he went out into the field.

did they ever say/hint at how much time at passed between kylos insurrection and the start of the movie?

Great movie -- love it for the reasons already detailed, but a couple of points that may not have been mentioned on this thread:

Not enough set up for the complete destruction of four/five planets of the republic. I didn't feel like I had any background info on the politics of it (I did not need much) and then they are all of a sudden killing billions of people.

Cantina music by this Hamilton guy is nowhere near as catchy as the original Cantina music.

Ph brought this up, but R2 all of a sudden powering up with the complete map was a little annoying.

not all the way through the thread yet but if it has not another aspect of rey using the force without training (in addition to mentioned above like awakening, touching kylo's mind and the lightsaber vision) was that she knew of the myth's of the jedi. she knew of han solo but believed it all to be fake. she probably knew some of what was rumored to be possible like mind control and just tried it.

she also kept the rebel alliance x-wing pilot's helmet rather than sell it. when she put it on we should have known right then it was luke's kid. additionally my wife thought the entire movie she looked like anakin from episode cra... one.

It could also be that Rey is the most powerful with the force yet. Like she has the most chlamydians or whatever the fuck Annakin had that were so abundant in Ep. 1.

From reading more stuff, there's some nerd inside info or fan hope/fiction that Maz Kanata and Yoda are old friends.

Plausible I guess. Wouldn't mind seeing a Yoda standalone movie on the early days of the Jedi.

From reading more stuff, there's some nerd inside info or fan hope/fiction that Maz Kanata and Yoda are old friends.

Plausible I guess. Wouldn't mind seeing a Yoda standalone movie on the early days of the Jedi.

It makes sense. She's what, 1000 years old?

Also, she didn't make it out alive did she?

Really enjoyed the movie. Rey can carry a film, something Luke could never do. Great screen presence. Ford did great work. Carrie Fisher sounds like she's been smoking several packs a day.

Still laughing that the first order blew it's entire defense budget on a planet sized supergun and apparently couldn't afford to buy more than a couple dozen fighters to defend it.

Really enjoyed the movie. Rey can carry a film, something Luke could never do. Great screen presence. Ford did great work. Carrie Fisher sounds like she's been smoking several packs a day.

Still laughing that the first order blew it's entire defense budget on a planet sized supergun and apparently couldn't afford to buy more than a couple dozen fighters to defend it.

Good point about Rey carrying the film. The narrative didn't really rely on her relationships like it did with Luke.

The First Order can only do so much against a deserter who led a group in and destroyed their shields. The First Order's problem is they build huge bases with a lot of dead space and apparently no video surveillance system.

The character has temper tantrums, got his ass handed to him by someone with no discipline, and killed off the coolest character in the franchise in a deceptive, candy ass way. Not cause of his hair or face. It's how the character was written

Thought about this, cause it's not truly Star Wars if you don't like/respect the villain a little bit.

Still pissed how they killed Han, but it reinforced this guy wants to be bad. The temper tantrums are kind of hilarious, the two Stormtroopers bailing was a very funny moment (along with BB 8's thumbs up and Finn's "we can use the force!!!!!"). He got his butt handed to him by Rey in part because he took a Chewie bowcaster shot to the gut (glad Chewie got that shot in, he was PISSED).

Basically, this is closer to how Anakin should have been handled in the prequels than the quick heel turn we saw in Ep III.

speaking of Chewie, it was probably better for the dramatic effect of Leia and Rey, but no chance Chewie doesn't immediately go to Leia when they get back without Han.

Thought about this, cause it's not truly Star Wars if you don't like/respect the villain a little bit.

Still pissed how they killed Han, but it reinforced this guy wants to be bad. The temper tantrums are kind of hilarious, the two Stormtroopers bailing was a very funny moment (along with BB 8's thumbs up and Finn's "we can use the force!!!!!"). He got his butt handed to him by Rey in part because he took a Chewie bowcaster shot to the gut (glad Chewie got that shot in, he was PISSED).

Basically, this is closer to how Anakin should have been handled in the prequels than the quick heel turn we saw in Ep III.

I thought the tantrums were strangely effective, unlike Anakin's "I'm really, really angry now" face in the prequels. Driver may look goofy, but he was pretty solid in this. He's supposed to be unlikable and petulant, but unlike Hayden C, he has the chops (and more importantly the director) to pull it off. I think the tantrums were also necessary to pull off that he was capable of great changes in mood for the Han Solo scene. I'm pretty sure it will be necessary going forward too, particularly for his inevitable downfall.

I will add that the scene with him trying to pick Rey's brain was very well done. Very few words, but a lot of facial expressions that told the story of what was going on there.

speaking of Chewie, it was probably better for the dramatic effect of Leia and Rey, but no chance Chewie doesn't immediately go to Leia when they get back without Han.

He had to go score some poon to blow off some steam.

Chewie should have went after Kylo Ren like a rabid Grizzly Bear and been killed in the attempt.

Chewie should have went after Kylo Ren like a rabid Grizzly Bear and been killed in the attempt.

Chewie is my favorite SW character. Not sure whether I would have liked that. It would have taken away from the gravity of Han's death.

Agreed. He fired shots. That was enough.

One thing not discussed on here: who do we think is the "old ally" of Leia's mentioned in the opening crawl who tipped her off to send Poe to Jakku?

Back