• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Flint, MI

I just get so mad when I think about the EPA trying to kill business in America!!11

12512813_1225846060759703_2988033089782681835_n.jpg

"A 2011 study found that before water from the Flint River could be considered potable, it would need to be treated with an anti-corrosion agent, a measure that would have cost the state about $100 a day.

Experts say that water treatment would have prevented 90% of the problems with Flint's water."

$100/day*365 days/year = $36500/100000 residents = $0.365/resident to avoid the decades of lawsuits and health problems by 90%. And that's just if Flint residents foot the bill. when the entire state does $36500/9900000 residents it is $0.0037/resident. Richmond is about to make a similar decision....yay!

Last edited:
Report: Snyder concedes Flint mistakes, also blames bureaucrats

In the interview, the governor said he went into public life to improve government and the lead contamination of Flint's drinking water supply "shows there are challenges even when you come in from the outside" and think you can bring new thinking to state government.

"This was a case where we had people who had been in these jobs for years, (who) hadn’t gotten the change memo yet saying there’s got to be a better way of doing things. So they kept doing things the way they have …"

:squint:

Flint, Michigan's water crisis: what the national media got wrong

We played it safe with our daughters, giving them filtered water we bought by the gallon from a suburban supermarket, but our own water ran clear, so my wife and I kept drinking from the tap. I was skeptical of friends who had completely stopped drinking and, in some cases, bathing in the city water. I had doubts about the city's ability to treat water from the river, sure, but wasn't that what water regulation and enforcement was for? Michigan's Department of Environmental Quality repeatedly said that the water was safe, and they had the test numbers to back it up. (Later investigation would suggest that some of those numbers had been doctored to maintain federal compliance.)

The stage was set on March 16, 2011, when Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder signed Public Act 4. This measure broadened an earlier law that provided an "emergency financial manager" for financially distressed cities and school districts. Under the new law, "emergency financial managers" became "emergency managers" with the power to cancel or renegotiate city contracts, liquidate assets, suspend local government, unilaterally draft policy, and even disincorporate.

Many Michiganders found Public Act 4 to be a violation of a strong state tradition of "home rule," and so overturned it by referendum in the 2012 election. But that didn't last long: the Republican-dominated state legislature immediately passed Public Act 436, which was almost identical, although it included a provision to pay the emergency managers from state coffers rather than local. Under Michigan law, a bill that includes an appropriation like this cannot be voided through referendum.

Later, in 2015, amid rumors of lead compounded with TTHM violations, the city council voted, again 7-1, to "do all things necessary" to return to Detroit water. Their decision was vetoed by emergency manager Jerry Ambrose. He said that the vote was "incomprehensible."

Linked in that last part:

Emergency manager calls City Council's Flint River vote 'incomprehensible'

"Flint water today is safe by all (U.S. Environmental Protection Agency) and (Michigan Department of Environmental Quality) standards, and the city is working daily to improve its quality," Ambrose's statement says. "Users also pay some of the highest rates in the state because of the decreased numbers of users and the age of the system.

"It is incomprehensible to me that (seven) members of the Flint City Council would want to send more than $12 million a year to the system serving Southeast Michigan, even if Flint rate payers could afford it. (Lake Huron) water from Detroit is no safer than water from Flint."

I'm feeling irrationally angry. Or maybe there is no level of anger in this situation that would be deemed irrational. I'm feeling rationally angry.

Rationally angry because you know nobody is going to be punished and the burden for the health care of the rest of us health care consumers at best.

If you're looking for a defense of Michigan local government, why are you asking a Republican? That tire fire has been under one party rule for half a century...and it shows. Good job, good effort, dems.

Dude, don't even start.

"The stage was set on March 16, 2011, when Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder (R) signed Public Act 4. This measure broadened an earlier law that provided an "emergency financial manager" for financially distressed cities and school districts. Under the new law, "emergency financial managers" became "emergency managers" with the power to cancel or renegotiate city contracts, liquidate assets, suspend local government, unilaterally draft policy, and even disincorporate. (It is worth noting that Michigan emergency managers have done all of these things except disincorporate, which was entertained by a manager in the city of Pontiac.)"

"Many Michiganders found Public Act 4 to be a violation of a strong state tradition of "home rule," and so overturned it by referendum in the 2012 election. But that didn't last long: the Republican-dominated state legislature immediately passed Public Act 436, which was almost identical, although it included a provision to pay the emergency managers from state coffers rather than local. Under Michigan law, a bill that includes an appropriation like this cannot be voided through referendum."

Is the "emergency manager" even legal?

http://www.vox.com/2016/1/20/10789810/flint-michigan-water-crisis

crickets....

Last edited:
More evidence that conservatives love big state government.

If you're looking for a defense of Michigan local government, why are you asking a Republican? That tire fire has been under one party rule for half a century...and it shows. Good job, good effort, dems.

So you are just completely ignorant to what caused the water becoming polluted in Flint, Michigan.

WHAT A SURPRISE!

So you are just completely ignorant to what caused the water becoming polluted in Flint, Michigan.

WHAT A SURPRISE!

Not at all. In fact, let's ask the people at the very center of it. Here's what they said:

"Government failed you -- federal, state and local leaders -- by breaking the trust you placed in us."

Your beloved omnisolution sucks again.

WHAT A SUPRISE!

Back