• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Seriously, why hasn't Dino gotten another coaching gig yet?

I think Skip's death impacted that whole staff in different ways. The coaching life is a grind, and that grind might scare him a little. Especially the sting of losing his job three years later.

I have to agree with this. I've heard from several people that skips death caused many coaches to reevaluate and decide if they wanted to continue on the path they were on. I've heard that grobe was one of these and can't help but imagine Dino was too.

There's a coarse joke to be made about Dino enjoying the, um, culture at ESPN, but I'm not gonna be the one to make it.

Dino likes ESPN because it has historically tolerated old men making unsolicited advances on its female employees! :rimshot:

I got you bro.

What does it say about our program that our last football coach and last two basketball coaches are no longer head coaches?

What does it say about our program that our last football coach and last two basketball coaches are no longer head coaches?

I mean, Grobe had his chances and is old.
[Redacted] just sucks.
No idea on Dino.
But sum total, it doesn't say anything we didn't already know: We were a northbound train on a southbound track for way too long.

A lot of people at the time didn't know that our fanbase greatly overrated Dino, Bz, and Grobe.

Yes, our fanbase greatly overrated Bz. I can't believe he had such widespread and overwhelming support.
I also don't think we overrated Dino. Dino had plenty of critics despite his record and "success". I think we pretty accurately rated him as a fanbase, in general.
I guess there is an argument on Grobe. Depends on whether you buy the narrative that his priorities changed after Skip passed. Even if he was overrated, it would be pretty understandable. Our fanbase wasn't the only one. He was a national coach of the year. He made us more competitive than those outside our fanbase expected even before his 3-year stretch. I don't think what he did was a fluke. I think he just ending up losing his fire.

Grobe was a great coach for Wake and because of his efforts I am able to say 7 words I never imaged saying together - Wake Forest Demon Deacons ACC Football Champions.
In his interviews, he was the embodiment of what Wake is all about.

In business, if you have talent, you have a chance to be recruited by other firms or move on. Over time, you are left with people who are middle of the road or less that clogs up the organization. You lose key assistants and recruiting ability in college football. Throw in loyalty and you are saddled with Lobo. I am sure he could have stayed if he canned Lobo but he chose not to.

Dino lost control of his team. There was a key game against Duke where Teague and Ish were at odds. Teague would cross half court and stand in the upper corner of the court not engaged at all in the offense. I think he scored his only two points just before the final buzzer. He was our leading scorer. Dino should have benched him but did nothing. I recall the game commentators wondering what was going on and one mentioning some coaches don't make the transition from assistant (who may be more friendly / sympathic with players) to head coach (need to make tougher decisions).

Don't know how anyone who thought a bad coach at Colorado would bring any value to Wake. Can't believe to this day there wasn't a better option out there

This is the bottom line with Dino.

He is not the sharpest knife in the drawer, and wasn't the best "people" person (to put it nicely). At WF and every other place he was given the chance to be a head coach, his teams underperformed. Dino got fired at Army after amassing 36-72 record. He got fired from Loyola after going 32-52 (Prosser left him an NCAA team at Loyola, and Loyola declined every year; by Dino's 3rd year at Loyola; they were 7-21 and finished 9th in a 10 team league). Dino was a great assistant for Skip, but that is his ceiling.

Dino would have never ever gotten the WF job if not for Skip's untimely death, and Skip left him a team with 4 NBA players, and each year the team got worse as the year went on. By the end of both seasons, his team's were barely functional. His teams went a collective 28-3 through January 15, and a collective 16-14 after that date with a 1-4 record in the ACC tourney and NCAA tourney; 3 of those 4 losses were to teams that had significantly worse seeds and significantly less talent than Dino's team. His only post-season win came in an OT game against a Texas team that had similarly collapsed at year's end.

Amazes me how people continue to conflate Wellman's epic miscalculation of hiring [] with the decision to dump Dino (believing both to be mistakes). Firing Dino made all of the sense in the world as the program was heading full speed into the abyss, and there was no chance that Dino had the ability to change course.

The decision to fire Dino was the correct move; however, Wellman hired what might of been the only major college basketball coach in the country who would've been worse than Dino.

If Dino had the gravitas to coach a major D-1 program, he would've gotten an offer. He hasn't received any such offer because ADs and search committees know that he is not up to the job. End of story.

Last edited:
I wasn't aware people still conflated those two events.

It always struck me that #DinoGottago was real and we were all flabbergasted with []

What Pilch said. Dino should have been an interim at most but Wellman made the sentimental choice many fans wanted.

ITC, I don't think anybody does except Rico.

yeah, i was just responding to this part

Amazes me how people continue to conflate Wellman's epic miscalculation of hiring [] with the decision to dump Dino (believing both to be mistakes). Firing Dino made all of the sense in the world as the program was heading full speed into the abyss, and there was no chance that Dino had the ability to change course.

Dino should never have been hired. His record as a head coach did not warrant consideration. His personal shortcomings should have been known. Wellman failed the most difficult decision of his career.

61-31 overall record at Wake Forest with a 27-21 ACC record and an NCAA tourney win certainly suggests otherwise.

Your support for him should be a sufficient answer to support the opposite position, which is that a blind monkey could have coached that team to similar results.

Your support for him should be a sufficient answer to support the opposite position, which is that a blind monkey could have coached that team to similar results.
He was our blind monkey tho.

Back