• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Seriously, why hasn't Dino gotten another coaching gig yet?

1976Deac

Reaction score
Watching him on ESPN the other night reminded me.

Surely Wake's obligations to him were paid long ago. I can't imagine that ESPN is paying him big bucks. I can't imagine that whatever reason or excuse Wellman had or contrived to fire him would continue to remain an issue at all of the potential coaching jobs.. think of all the known NCAA outlaws who keep getting jobs and coming back.

Idle speculation and rumors are always entertaining and welcomed, but does anyone have any real info as to what is the deal?

Maybe he enjoys the lifestyle and not having to go out and recruit.

If he has the financial wherewithal to be able to do so, good for him. I'd envy him. Has he gone into business in some regard other than the ESPN gig?

He seems to enjoy the analyst gig and is pretty good at it. Remember, it was a long time for him between head coaching jobs before he took over for Skip, and he may have only done that because of the unique situation. It is possible that he does not like being a head coach, and the analyst job is more stable than bouncing around as an assistant.

Other than the $, being an analyst has to be a better gig than a head coach.

I think Skip's death impacted that whole staff in different ways. The coaching life is a grind, and that grind might scare him a little. Especially the sting of losing his job three years later.

Who here couldn't retire on the money he got from WFU?

Got a ton of dough from Wake to do nothing and has a sweet low stress job now. Think the money would have to be really good for him to get back into coaching.

There's a coarse joke to be made about Dino enjoying the, um, culture at ESPN, but I'm not gonna be the one to make it.

Who here couldn't retire on the money he got from WFU?

Exactly. And it's not like ESPN is paying him peanuts. He's not making the millions he would as a head coach, but I'm sure he's paid as well or better than most of us on this board.

Think he does a great job as an analyst and hope he sticks with it. Seems to suit his personality well. I have no doubt he could get another HC job if he wanted it.

Kind of curious what he actually gets from ESPN. 100k?

I'm sure Dino was smart with his money. I think he gave up the desire to be HC a long time ago and enjoyed his role as Skip's assistant. Took the HC job at Wake for Skip and the players. I know for a fact he enjoyed coaching one of the best teams in the country against the best coaches in the country. But for a guy that had accepted and relished the role as a top assistant at a top program, I doubt dropping down to a HC at a non-P5 was of any interest to him. I'd like to see him do well at ESPN.

I know that was somewhat in jest but Dino would be an asset to have on this staff.

Yes, he would. And we play shite defense now and played our best D after Dino visited Dick Bennett and switched to the packline man. I admit I'm a packline shill. But our defense is my biggest gripe about Danny thus far.

Back