• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Trump Will Win the Nomination

"The latest Quinnipiac poll of Florida Republicans shows that Donald Trump is now leading Florida with 44 percent of the vote, while Marco Rubio is in second with only 28 percent. Ted Cruz is now in third place with 12 percent."
Only Trump can stump Trump at this point.

I don't even think Trump can stop Trump at this point. I can't even think of what would have to happen for him to sink himself -- his first wife saying under oath he raped her? Wait...already happened. Probably helped. Engaging in racist housing practices with his father? Already happened. Probably helped. Accusing Mexicans of being rapists! Happened. Defs helped. Conning the uneducated, his voters, out of tens of thousands of dollars through his unaccredited, scam university. Happened. Personal responsibility! Trying to kick an entire religion out of America. Happened. Helped. Getting in a fight with the coolest Pope ever? Already happened. Helped. Making a terrible period joke about a Fox News reporter, calling a female presidential candidate ugly, and talking about schlonging another? Happened. Helped. Mocking a Republican war hero who spent 5 and 1/2 years in a POW camp? Happened. Probably helped.

Is it too much to say Rubio would have a very tough time reviving his career after losing the Florida primary?

Same with Cruz in Texas.

One of Cruz or Rubio needs to back out very soon for Trump not to win primary. I don't think it's going to happen

And I don't think Tump is winning Texas. You really think he will win Florida?

It is remarkable the way nothing seems to sink him. I'm ready for Trump vs Hillary.

Moderate Republican but he is largely a media personality now. Not sure the ticket needs two of those (but I do think Joe is very bright and capable).

I used to watch that show some, especially in election years, but I found both Joe and Mika to be really vapid. I can't even watch it in election years now.

One of Cruz or Rubio needs to back out very soon for Trump not to win primary. I don't think it's going to happen

Yeah, Trump has been ahead in all the FL polls, usually by double digits. He's been mostly behind in TX to Cruz, though. But TX isn't a winner take all, unfortunately for Cruz. So the expected single digit win there over Trump will be a mere speedbump on the Trump superhighway. Maybe more like a small pothole.

Trump would be perfectly fine with winning everywhere, but TX, FL, and OH. Would split delegates in TX with Cruz, but keep Cruz, Rubio, and Kasich all in the race during winner take all. Wannabes would split the vote going forward and Trump would continue to pile up delegates. Cruz and Rubio aren't a ticket and neither would cede to the other when they had roughly the same number of delegates and won their home state.

"A senior House Republican is asking fellow lawmakers to sign on to a letter that urges either Sen. Marco Rubio or Sen. Ted Cruz to drop out of the presidential race for the good of the GOP.
Rep. Trent Franks, an Arizona Republican, sent the letter to fellow Republicans Wednesday evening. He's asking would-be signers to back his push to rally the establishment around either the Florida or Texas senator in an effort to defeat Donald Trump, the current frontrunner for the GOP nomination."

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2016/02/rubio-cruz-trent-franks-219755#ixzz41D24RpNm

Yeah this is pretty good. It relates back to the article posted a couple of weeks ago and the disappearance of the wage class. The anger stems from American exceptionalism and the idea that you are born in America and you should be fucking awesome. Trump is telling you that you are fucking awesome and he is going to do everything to help you become awesome again because those in power now are at fault for your shitty not awesome life. There has to be someone to blame, especially if you are a white male that made it so your life sucks. Maybe its the powers at be, maybe its the Mexicans, maybe the Muslims, fill in your niche category and Trump will cover it for you. It is of course not your fault it has to be somebody, anybody but your own. Maybe you never paid attention to politics before but you know who Trump is and he is not to blame. Maybe you are just a normal established republican, or a tea party hidden racist, how could your party fail you and let this Muslim, gun hating, gay worshiping, black president become president, not only did you let him become president, after four years of letting us know how fucking awful he was you let him remain president for four more years. Trump wasn't part of that, trump is different he is going to make America great again because you told us it isn't great and you havent been able to make it great.

"A senior House Republican is asking fellow lawmakers to sign on to a letter that urges either Sen. Marco Rubio or Sen. Ted Cruz to drop out of the presidential race for the good of the GOP.
Rep. Trent Franks, an Arizona Republican, sent the letter to fellow Republicans Wednesday evening. He's asking would-be signers to back his push to rally the establishment around either the Florida or Texas senator in an effort to defeat Donald Trump, the current frontrunner for the GOP nomination."

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2016/02/rubio-cruz-trent-franks-219755#ixzz41D24RpNm

Someone's going to have to pick which one drops out. And the longer the wait, the bigger the hole they are going to find themselves in. Unfortunately for the GOP, both Cruz and Rubio don't have the personalities or humility to drop out on their own. The powers that be need to make a decision now.

This is how Chomsky explains it:
Williams: What are your opinions on the surprising progress of Donald Trump? Could it be explained by a climate of fear?

Chomsky: Fear, along with the breakdown of society during the neoliberal period. People feel isolated, helpless, victim of powerful forces that they do not understand and cannot influence. It’s interesting to compare the situation in the ‘30s, which I’m old enough to remember. Objectively, poverty and suffering were far greater. But even among poor working people and the unemployed, there was a sense of hope that is lacking now, in large part because of the growth of a militant labor movement and also the existence of political organizations outside the mainstream.

http://www.alternet.org/election-2016/noam-chomsky-we-owe-rise-trump-fear-and-breakdown-society

I don't see the logic for the establishment. Rubio votes aren't automatically going to go to Cruz. Cruz voters definitely won't automatically go to Rubio. If one drops out, the other risks getting curb stomped by Trump and basically being his victory cigar.

Neither is going to drop out "for the good of the party." Either would drop out to avoid doing further damage to his brand.

This is how Chomsky explains it:
Williams: What are your opinions on the surprising progress of Donald Trump? Could it be explained by a climate of fear?

Chomsky: Fear, along with the breakdown of society during the neoliberal period. People feel isolated, helpless, victim of powerful forces that they do not understand and cannot influence. It’s interesting to compare the situation in the ‘30s, which I’m old enough to remember. Objectively, poverty and suffering were far greater. But even among poor working people and the unemployed, there was a sense of hope that is lacking now, in large part because of the growth of a militant labor movement and also the existence of political organizations outside the mainstream.

http://www.alternet.org/election-2016/noam-chomsky-we-owe-rise-trump-fear-and-breakdown-society

This is how Yoda explains it:

I'd vote for Yoda.

He'd have a tough time defending his record. He allowed the Sith to rise to power right under his nose and got almost the entire Jedi order destroyed.

I saw George Will say that if it comes down to Hillary vs Trump, which is what he thinks it's gonna be, Hillary will be the more conservative choice. I have to think most Republicans will get in line behind Trump, but I wouldn't be surprised if some of the establishment types quietly support Hillary. And I don't know what's gonna happen with Glenn Beck and his followers. He's calling Trump supporters "brown shirts" and comparing Trump to Hitler. Tough to see him supporting Trump.

I saw George Will say that if it comes down to Hillary vs Trump, which is what he thinks it's gonna be, Hillary will be the more conservative choice. I have to think most Republicans will get in line behind Trump, but I wouldn't be surprised if some of the establishment types quietly support Hillary. And I don't know what's gonna happen with Glenn Beck and his followers. He's calling Trump supporters "brown shirts" and comparing Trump to Hitler. Tough to see him supporting Trump.

My mom adores Glen Beck. What he says is gospel. She will vote for whoever is the republican nominee.

Most every conservative that I know that doesn't support Trump will still vote for him if he is the nominee. The sentiment is pretty much anyone but Hillary.

The problem with any coordinated effort to stop Trump is that most of the people who would be leading that effort are the very people whom the voters supporting Trump despise and are the main reason for Trump being where he is today in the first place. These people doubling down on trashing Trump will only harden the support for Trump.

It's becoming increasingly terrifying to think about Trump being the POTUS. Gives me shivers.

Trump being elected would lead to all time high numbers of false promises to leave the country from people not voting for him

Back