• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Trump Will Win the Nomination

Trump is already at least a footnote in American political history books. He's turning establishment politics upside down (for better or worse)

Yeah, I don't think it is as if he will just be forgotten even if he loses.

I think your original comment had a frame of reference of 100 years. I am pretty sure he'll be forgotten long before then. He'll start down that path as soon as he stops leading the news every night with another of his outlandish statements, that even he doesn't believe. The only way I could see him being memorable is if he runs as an independent, a la Perot, and hands Hillary the election.

I think your original comment had a frame of reference of 100 years. I am pretty sure he'll be forgotten long before then. He'll start down that path as soon as he stops leading the news every night with another of his outlandish statements, that even he doesn't believe. The only way I could see him being memorable is if he runs as an independent, a la Perot, and hands Hillary the election.

The 100 years marker was arbitrary, but I do think history will remember him, although not for his antics. He will be mentioned as part of a larger discussion about what happened in politics following the 2008 elections when the Republican party splintered into warring factions (the so-called conservative revolution).

Conservative parties are making strides in Europe too. I see Trump as a reactionary, trying to ride a wave--pretending to be a tea partier. History will see him as a bit player at most.

Who will be seen as the star of this tea party wave? So far we just have bit players, guest stars, and former stars who got killed off such as Boehner and Cantor.

It's still a rabid "anti" movement with no galvanizing message or leader.

Who will be seen as the star of this tea party wave? So far we just have bit players, guest stars, and former stars who got killed off such as Boehner and Cantor.

Can an "anti" movement have effective leadership? Every person who has tried to do so has ended up cannibalized by the movement. It makes the Paul Ryan story a fascinating one.

Rubio would like to be that guy. Coming from nowhere to beat Crist gives him some cred. He would like to co-opt the tea party movement without frightening the old guard. He might just be able to do it, too.

Rubio would like to be that guy. Coming from nowhere to beat Crist gives him some cred. He would like to co-opt the tea party movement without frightening the old guard. He might just be able to do it, too.
Until he starts actually governing, that is.

Until he's not idelogically pure enough for the Tea Party segment. They don't really allow for any flexibility. The moment he concedes anything to more moderate conservatives, he becomes a traitor and they call for his ouster. He doesn't even have to compromise with Dems to be TP roadkill...just centrist Republicans.

Until he's not idelogically pure enough for the Tea Party segment. They don't really allow for any flexibility. The moment he concedes anything to more moderate conservatives, he becomes a traitor and they call for his ouster. He doesn't even have to compromise with Dems to be TP roadkill...just centrist Republicans.

That is a bit simplistic. Sasse, Cotton and Ernst all have strong tea party support and haven't had to alienate the center of the GOP to get there.

Rubio used to have strong tea party support until he got on the big stage.

WTF

katrina-pierson-bullet-necklace-614x412.jpg

"Trump spokeswoman wears necklace strung with bullets on CNN — threatens to wear one festooned with fetuses next time"

http://www.salon.com/2015/12/30/tru...ime/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

Not surprisingly, Trump's campaign and staffing decisions are a little weird. The bullet/fetus spokeschick ran against Pete Sessions in the House and got schlonged big time in the GOP primary. Despite that, she's still a Tea Party darling. Trump's been all over the map on abortion and won't be able to explain away earlier pro choice positions as just because he was a businessman.

Trump's Iowa Chairman was a former Apprentice contestant. Meatloaf and Rodman will probably be in Trump's cabinet. He's claimed he'll spend $2M a week on ads, but still hasn't booked any ad time yet.

Trump brought his childhood Bible to an Iowa rally and pointedly told the crowd that not too many evangelicals come from Cuba. Rubio was born in the US and Cruz was born in Canada, but Trump thinks xenophobia will trump three marriages, at least one affair, a child child born out of wedlock, and prior pro choice positions among Iowa evangelicals. Trump probably goes full birther on

trump will never have to explain away any position change(s)

the people supporting trump aren't doing it because of his nuanced takes on issues

Back