• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Trump Will Win the Nomination

Has Trump done that?

The woman is holding a sign that says "the silent majority stands with Trump". I assume his campaign is responsible for the creation of said sign because I'm guessing that woman didn't make it at home.

The woman behind her has what looks like a similar sign.

Definitely can win the GOP nomination, but which blue states that went for Bubba and Obama twice, plus stiffs Gore and Kerry are going for Trump over Hillary? That's a floor of 242. Trump's not winning Nevada, Colorado, or New Mexico. What's his path to 270 electoral college votes?

To further your point, if you take that 242 and add NV, NM, CO, IA and NH, that's another 30 for a total of 272. That's with a GOP sweep of FL, VA & OH. I also think Hillary and Bill probably bring WV back into play. Maybe even AR & MO. Hillary and Bill play a whole lot better in Appalachia than the darker hued Obama does.

Is invoking Nixon/Agnew helpful for a campaign?

They didn't lower the voting age to 18 until 1971, so the youngest people who voted in 1968 will be 69 this year and the youngest who voted in 1972 will be 62. Silent majority lashed out at young people fucking and smoking weed. Seems pretty weird that Christie, who went to high school in North Jersey in the late '70s, is so anti-weed. At the very least, a large plurality of people his age smoked weed and the same thing applies to everyone younger than that. Would have never guessed that gay marriage would come ahead of pot legalization. Evoking Nixon/Agnew nearly 50 years after the fact seems really strange. The genie's long out of the bottle on social issues. Social warriors Huckabee, Santorum, and Carson are toast. Cruz is betting on those issues in the general, but a Kim Davis speaking gig at the GOP convention would be a mistake. Trump or Cruz could run up huge popular vote totals in AL and MS, but 80% in those states isn't nearly as valuable as 51% in OH or VA.

There are other kinds of diversity, although I know you would rather exist in a liberal echo chamber.

nah, diversity of opinion is certainly a positive

it helps when it is expressed with sincerity and logic, however

To further your point, if you take that 242 and add NV, NM, CO, IA and NH, that's another 30 for a total of 272. That's with a GOP sweep of FL, VA & OH. I also think Hillary and Bill probably bring WV back into play. Maybe even AR & MO. Hillary and Bill play a whole lot better in Appalachia than the darker hued Obama does.

WV goes red due to #waroncoal.

WV goes red due to #waroncoal.

And Hillary isn't nearly as popular or as good a politician as Bill. But I bet you see Bill spend a lot of his time campaigning in Appalachia. Bill won WV, KY, TN, MO, AR and LA twice. Even if AR & MO become lost causes for Hillary, there are 2 weak Pub senators running for reelection against decent Dem candidates, so I see him spending a lot of time there.

They didn't lower the voting age to 18 until 1971, so the youngest people who voted in 1968 will be 69 this year and the youngest who voted in 1972 will be 62. Silent majority lashed out at young people fucking and smoking weed. Seems pretty weird that Christie, who went to high school in North Jersey in the late '70s, is so anti-weed. At the very least, a large plurality of people his age smoked weed and the same thing applies to everyone younger than that. Would have never guessed that gay marriage would come ahead of pot legalization. Evoking Nixon/Agnew nearly 50 years after the fact seems really strange. The genie's long out of the bottle on social issues. Social warriors Huckabee, Santorum, and Carson are toast. Cruz is betting on those issues in the general, but a Kim Davis speaking gig at the GOP convention would be a mistake. Trump or Cruz could run up huge popular vote totals in AL and MS, but 80% in those states isn't nearly as valuable as 51% in OH or VA.

I find it interesting that Trump is using this Nixonian term, and yes it's strange on the face of it. Who else has evoked Nixon over the last 50 years? And I think Trump is trying to appeal to a different type of silent majority crowd. My recollection was Nixon and Agnew were using the term in an attempt to show that most Americans weren't like all those anti-war hippies. But Nixon and Agnew weren't culture warriors. They were fiscal conservatives and red baiting hawks. Hell, Nixon was inclined to support nationalized health care. Seems to me Trump is talking about a different silent majority, 1 that more closely resembles George Wallace voters than Nixon supporters - folks who aren't necessarily fiscal conservatives but do care about all of the social conservative issues.

Next we'll see a bumper sticker that says "Trump. Now more than ever." I still don't understand that bumper sticker, but it was 1 of my all time favorites.

I'm becoming convinced that Trump is going to win the GOP nomination.

I'm becoming convinced that Trump is going to win the GOP nomination.

Nope. Trump's gotten every vote he's going to get. He has a plurality of a crowded field. Rubio is running against Cruz for the right to beat Trump.

I'm sorry to see both Bush and Christie go. They are the type of leaders our country needs right now. Kasich is the last one in the field I will feel good about actually governing something. I will also miss Fiorina. She would have been awesome in a debate with Hillary ("I understand that air travel is an expense, not an accomplishment.").

Nope. Trump's gotten every vote he's going to get. He has a plurality of a crowded field. Rubio is running against Cruz for the right to beat Trump.

I'm sorry to see both Bush and Christie go. They are the type of leaders our country needs right now. Kasich is the last one in the field I will feel good about actually governing something. I will also miss Fiorina. She would have been awesome in a debate with Hillary ("I understand that air travel is an expense, not an accomplishment.").

Dude, you are whistling past the graveyard. Trump at this point is the prohibitive favorite.

I went to the Trump Rally in Myrtle Beach, which was a very interesting experience since it was my first political rally I have ever been to. That being said the makeup of the audience was very intersting. You had young and old but the loyatly to Trump is unreal. He said many things that were not ideas you would think Republicans would support. While I am still trying to decide who I want as president, it was very interesting to hear him speak and how he feeds off the crowd.

Dude, you are whistling past the graveyard. Trump at this point is the prohibitive favorite.

While I'd agree Clinton and Trump are both favorites, I wouldn't modify that with the word prohibitive quite yet. At least not till after ST and probably 3/16. Trump maybe more so than Clinton. While I'm not sure what he could possibly say at this point to alienate his followers, I still think he has a chance of imploding. Maybe they'll find a sex tape of him and his daughter doing it.

I went to the Trump Rally in Myrtle Beach, which was a very interesting experience since it was my first political rally I have ever been to. That being said the makeup of the audience was very intersting. You had young and old but the loyatly to Trump is unreal. He said many things that were not ideas you would think Republicans would support. While I am still trying to decide who I want as president, it was very interesting to hear him speak and how he feeds off the crowd.

Who did you vote for?

What states will trump lose on Super Tuesday? The field still has at least three candidates heading into that March 1 date, so the anti-trump vote (if it indeed exists) will still be split.

I live in North Carolina so I haven't voted yet. I just want to get an opportunity to hear all the candidates talk before I make my decision. I was going to hear Cruz talk but that was at 9 and I didnt want to wake up earlier to go. But right now I would say Trump would be my number one, because some of his ideas I like but I do think John Kasich would be good, but he really doesnt have a chance to win. I would tell everyone here to go hear trump speak even if you dont support/like him because it is a very unqiue expereince.

Last edited:
Back