• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Trump Will Win the Nomination

Congress will hardly cooperate with either Trump or Hillary, or anyone else for that matter.

You're implying there's no power in the presidency

Makes sense since your party wants to nominate a jingoistic reality TV star that has no public service experience in his life while Hilary is a former Senator/ former Secretary of State that has been vetted for about 25 years.

What a freaking embarrassment. Not just to Pubs. To the country.

Donald Trump, fired from The Apprentice, is going to win the Republican nomination for POTUS.

He's simply taking what Republicans have been doing for the last 8 years to the extreme. That's why he's winning. He's perceived to "tell the truth" because he's being overt rather than using dog whistles.

"Make America Great Again" is merely a summary of the Republican argument that the Obama administration has weakened America. There's no real facts to back that up but it doesn't matter. Republicans largely believe it and regardless of the facts they'll believe in 2020 that America is in better shape under President Trump, President Cruz, or President Rubio.

Trump is a clown. Cruz is probably the only candidate in my lifetime who could truly be described as "evil." Rubio is an empty suit devoid of any real personality or ideas. All have great potential to embarrass us.

Trump is the physical manifestation of 8 years of email forwards and Internet memes.

gtfoh, he just repeated a fucking meme about dipping bullets in pigs blood to scare muslims and proposed a religous test to enter the USA. this is insanity.

Agree. It takes a special kind of political blindness to equate Marco Rubio to Donald trump.

He's simply taking what Republicans have been doing for the last 8 years to the extreme. That's why he's winning. He's perceived to "tell the truth" because he's being overt rather than using dog whistles.

"Make America Great Again" is merely a summary of the Republican argument that the Obama administration has weakened America. There's no real facts to back that up but it doesn't matter. Republicans largely believe it and regardless of the facts they'll believe in 2020 that America is in better shape under President Trump, President Cruz, or President Rubio.

Trump is a clown. Cruz is probably the only candidate in my lifetime who could truly be described as "evil." Rubio is an empty suit devoid of any real personality or ideas. All have great potential to embarrass us.

Agree. And I'm trying to figure out who scares me more. Rubiobot doesn't scare me as much domestically, but his foreign policy proposals appear to be full blown neocon to me and would be a return to W and Cheney. Kasich is the only Pub remaining who I don't find scary. He'd just be bad on abortion and a few other social issues, none of which he could do a whole lot about other than through judicial appointments.

Trump's floor is so much lower than another term of W and Cheney. Rubio kinda sucks but he's def >>> Trump.

How many of you who are terrified of Trump would do what that writer suggests- change your registration to vote against him?

Trump is the physical manifestation of 8 years of email forwards and Internet memes.

Far from enthusiastic about a HRC presidency, but would be more than a little ironic if its chief enablers effectively let their loopy Obama rage beat them three times.

Far from enthusiastic about a HRC presidency, but would be more than a little ironic if its chief enablers effectively let their loopy Obama rage beat them three times.

It's not Obama rage that got them beat. It's the rampant liberal in-person voter fraud.

It's not Obama rage that got them beat. It's the rampant liberal in-person voter fraud.

Wrong again. When you run up against a candidate with that much experience and that strong a track record, you just hold on until the next election. Got to make business decisions.

How many of you who are terrified of Trump would do what that writer suggests- change your registration to vote against him?

Meh, we get what we deserve. Obama begot Trump. Once you start down the clown path, there is no turning back. As I predicted 8 years ago, the chickens have come home to roost. America is going straight into the shitter.

There is no difference between the idiot Demo screaming that Obama is going to pay her gas and her mortgage to the idiot Pub yelling that Trump is going to build a wall to keep out the wetbacks.

You don't seriously see a difference between someone thinking the president was gonna make their life better (even though woefully misinformed) and someone yelling about the president building a wall to keep "wetbacks" out?

Agree. And I'm trying to figure out who scares me more. Rubiobot doesn't scare me as much domestically, but his foreign policy proposals appear to be full blown neocon to me and would be a return to W and Cheney. Kasich is the only Pub remaining who I don't find scary. He'd just be bad on abortion and a few other social issues, none of which he could do a whole lot about other than through judicial appointments.

Would not vote for Cruz, Trump, or Carson under any circumstances. As an aside, Carson's business manager is hinting that Carson will stay in the race as a hit man for Trump or Rubio. Really wants to damage Cruz, but doesn't have any cash and hopes Trump or Rubio will keep him afloat/pay down debt. Kasich doesn't have any $s, so Carson would stab him in the belt buckle too for the right price.

Hoping for Kasich, even though he could beat Hillary or Bernie. Rubiobot could too, but he's a phony puppet and I trust Kasich more, even though I disagree with him on multiple policies.

Meh, we get what we deserve. Obama begot Trump. Once you start down the clown path, there is no turning back. As I predicted 8 years ago, the chickens have come home to roost. America is going straight into the shitter.

There is no difference between the idiot Demo screaming that Obama is going to pay her gas and her mortgage to the idiot Pub yelling that Trump is going to build a wall to keep out the wetbacks.

lulz

wow

What this election cycle shows is that the polarization of political messaging, coupled with 24-hour news cycle along with not much actually changing (except changes that benefit the wealthy), is creating a powder keg.

The problem with a Hillary victory and "return to normalcy" is that the powder keg will increase in volatility. We desperately need additional, viable political parties and a major overhaul to the political process (e.g., term limits, mandatory judicial retirement ages, and the like) to catch up with the realities of 21st century America. I think "the people" understand that change is necessary - that is why every political slogan is "change" or "taking America back" or something along these lines.

I am very afraid of a Trump presidency because it could easily be a disaster. However, 4 or 8 years of Hillary continuing the status quo while automation and technological rises coupled with more disparity in wealth could result in an explosion of the powder keg. The best solution would be a splintering of both the GOP and the Democrats where smaller parties would have to form legitimate coalitions to get something done. That seems terribly unlikely.

In short, we appear to be fucked either way. Just a matter of time. May be best to have a 4-year Trump term just for the shakeup that will ensue, because I really am fearful that another, more extreme Trump (and/or more extreme Sanders) will be lurking post-Hillary, should she become POTUS.

You don't seriously see a difference between someone thinking the president was gonna make their life better (even though woefully misinformed) and someone yelling about the president building a wall to keep "wetbacks" out?

Similarly misinformed to the person talking about their mortgage, that person probably does think that his life will be better with less Mexicans.

What this election cycle shows is that the polarization of political messaging, coupled with 24-hour news cycle along with not much actually changing (except changes that benefit the wealthy), is creating a powder keg.

The problem with a Hillary victory and "return to normalcy" is that the powder keg will increase in volatility. We desperately need additional, viable political parties and a major overhaul to the political process (e.g., term limits, mandatory judicial retirement ages, and the like) to catch up with the realities of 21st century America. I think "the people" understand that change is necessary - that is why every political slogan is "change" or "taking America back" or something along these lines.

I am very afraid of a Trump presidency because it could easily be a disaster. However, 4 or 8 years of Hillary continuing the status quo while automation and technological rises coupled with more disparity in wealth could result in an explosion of the powder keg. The best solution would be a splintering of both the GOP and the Democrats where smaller parties would have to form legitimate coalitions to get something done. That seems terribly unlikely.

In short, we appear to be fucked either way. Just a matter of time. May be best to have a 4-year Trump term just for the shakeup that will ensue, because I really am fearful that another, more extreme Trump (and/or more extreme Sanders) will be lurking post-Hillary, should she become POTUS.

I completely agree about the need for more parties, though that's not going to happen. I envy the UK right about now. And I've had the same thought about Hillary, and even worse about Bernie. But without the Dems having at least the senate (face it, if Trump or any Pub wins, the Dems won't be taking back the senate), there will be no check on the Pubs for at least 2 and more likely 4 years. So because I have no crystal ball, Hillary appears to be the least worst option at this point. Plus, if she wins. there is a good chance the Dems take back the senate. And remember that even if the next president only serves 1 term, (s)he could be replacing 2-4 SCOTUS justices.

Back