• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Trump Will Win the Nomination

One of the issues people have had with Obama's presidency is his very, very limited use of the "bully pulpit" that is the presidency. Statements like "If I get a gun control bill I will sign it." aren't nearly as powerful as some other statements that would have pushed Congress much harder to pass a reasonable bill. For instance, he could have said that he would be back on the one year anniversary of the Sandy Hook shooting and been prepared to call out people who were obstructing passage of what he wanted.

LBJ would have added some language like "if i'm not busy signing the bill next Tuesday, I'll have free time to come twist your arm."

USA Today estimates that it would take $70 Billion annually to eliminate tuition at all public four year colleges. If their estimate is accurate, then you could pay for it by eliminating the mortgage interest deduction alone or you could trim $70 Billion from the defense budget or you could do a combination of things like reducing but not eliminating the mortgage interest deduction, raising taxes and finding savings in the military budget.

Eliminate the mortgage interest deduction altogether? What would be the ancillary repercussions of doing so relative to the economy? My guess is that would cost a whole lot more than $70 billion. The second option you list is theoretically workable; the first is not and would be an absolute disaster.

Can you get over your priest molestation flashbacks long enough to read? Where did I lie? It was asked where did Obama promise to pay that lady's gas and mortgage. I pointed out where. So the lady claiming that Obama will pay her gas and mortgage has just enough good faith basis in her beliefs as the guy thinking that Trump will build his wall to keep out the Mexicans. And that is my point, they are the same candidates chasing the same stupidity vote, just on different ends of the spectrum. Anybody who willingly voted/votes for either of them is nothing short of a goddamn moron.

None of what you're saying makes any logical sense.

He's saying that politicians, specifically Obama and Trump, have campaigned by over-promising and pandering to idiots. That much is more or less indisputable. I voted for Obama in 2008, but not because I thought he was going to pay for my gas or my mortgage. So, the rest of his post is pretty much over the top - pretty much the same type of rhetoric he is complaining about the politicians employing.

Eliminate the mortgage interest deduction altogether? What would be the ancillary repercussions of doing so relative to the economy? My guess is that would cost a whole lot more than $70 billion. The second option you list is theoretically workable; the first is not and would be an absolute disaster.

Just throwing out some possibilities on how to pay for it. I agree eliminating the mortgage interest deduction would do more harm to the economy than free public college education would benefit it. I used that as an example because the estimated costs for both in the federal budget are the same. If someone wants to take the time, I'm sure you could comb through the federal budget and find $70 Billion that is currently spent on things that are less beneficial to the country than tution free college would be.

The plan Sanders actually introduced last year called for the Federal government to field 2/3 of the cost and the states 1/3.

In other words, you voted for Obama and don't want to face the reality that he is the left's version of Trump: completely unqualified, campaigning primarily on being the opposite of the person in office who is currently despised by a large portion of the population, and using blowhard tactics full of ridiculous statements aimed at the lowest common denominators in their respective parties knowing damn well that there are enough of those idiots to help carry his election regardless of the collateral damage that actually enacting the promises would do to the country.

Trump doesn't like Muslims and blames them for lots of problems, Obama didn't like rich people and blamed them for lots of problems. What's the difference? Other than you like Muslims more than rich people as well.

Last edited:
USA Today estimates that it would take $70 Billion annually to eliminate tuition at all public four year colleges. If their estimate is accurate, then you could pay for it by eliminating the mortgage interest deduction alone or you could trim $70 Billion from the defense budget or you could do a combination of things like reducing but not eliminating the mortgage interest deduction, raising taxes and finding savings in the military budget.

Here is the one issue no ever brings up, what would happen to all the private schools if their was no tuition at public schools.

How many of you who are terrified of Trump would do what that writer suggests- change your registration to vote against him?

Not voted for Dem President since 1972 and still no plan to. Would give up my registration in a second and vote independent to vote against Dump (boy I like that, fits) in a second.

They should go to Russia or something. But are military shouldn't be protecting freedom around the world. I am sorry it's not our responsibility to help other countries. We have bigger things to worry about at home.

Like healthcare, paying for college, and such.

Like healthcare, paying for college, and such.

No how about all of the Vets that are mistreated and die because as a country we don't take care of them and don't provide them with the healthcare and resources they need.But that's okay I guess we could just help some people from the Middle East that more than likely don't like the United States and help them get on their feet and have a better quality of life than are vets do.

No how about all of the Vets that are mistreated and die because as a country we don't take care of them and don't provide them with the healthcare and resources they need.But that's okay I guess we could just help some people from the Middle East that more than likely don't like the United States and help them get on their feet and have a better quality of life than are vets do.

God, you really watch a lot of FOX News don't you?

In other words, you voted for Obama and don't want to face the reality that he is the left's version of Trump: completely unqualified, campaigning primarily on being the opposite of the person in office who is currently despised by a large portion of the population, and using blowhard tactics full of ridiculous statements aimed at the lowest common denominators in their respective parties knowing damn well that there are enough of those idiots to help carry his election regardless of the collateral damage that actually enacting the promises would do to the country.

Trump doesn't like Muslims and blames them for lots of problems, Obama didn't like rich people and blamed them for lots of problems. What's the difference? Other than you like Muslims more than rich people as well.

There are legitimate economic arguments that can be made that increasing taxes for high income individuals is the best course of action for the country and for the overall utility of the the citizens. I don't necessarily agree, and I've posted at length against Bernie Sanders wall street speculation tax. But these are political and economic arguments. Both parties have long had "change" candidates that have platforms that will be hard to press through congress and deliver to the voters.

This is not in the same sphere as Donald Trump's outright racism. It's completely different.

There are legitimate economic arguments that can be made that increasing taxes for high income individuals is the best course of action for the country and for the overall utility of the the citizens. I don't necessarily agree, and I've posted at length against Bernie Sanders wall street speculation tax. But these are political and economic arguments. Both parties have long had "change" candidates that have platforms that will be hard to press through congress and deliver to the voters.

This is not in the same sphere as Donald Trump's outright racism. It's completely different.

Okay question prove to me Donald Trump is racist.

No it isn't. Plenty of worthwhile arguments can be made in favor of closing our borders. You've just been taught that it's not cool to blame Muslims and its perfectly fine to blame rich people. But from the standpoint of a political campaign, there is no difference: find the subset that you know your constituents don't like, blame them for all of our problems, propose ridiculous measures focusing on said subset to solve the problems, and watch the stooges eat it up.

No, it's that you legitimately make no sense. You're an idiot.

Okay just thought of something how do these politicians get away with blaming rich people when they get money from them and they live very very nice lives. Which it kills me that people just overlook this. What I like about Trump is yes he is rich, but he is using his own money to pay for his campaign let me see any of the other candidates do that and it is not set in stone that he will win. He is just throwing away his own money if he loses.

This guy is a troll right?

Nope explain to me how Trump is racist. Let me guess because he wants to build a wall or because he wants to keep Muslims out or send Illegal immigrants home that are breaking the law.

Remember guys, scotty's vote counts just as much as each of yours. One big beautiful vote.

Are we going to have the "who ya gonna vote for" poll on these here boards? Make it public, all that good stuff?

Back