• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning appreciation thread

Y'all's memory is better than mine, so hopefully someone can remember: I remember DM coming up with a similarly unorthodox marking scheme for Okafor last year, and we held him to his second-lowest points total of the season thus far. Every team that played duke in the weeks afterwards copied the scheme. Anybody remember who we had on him that duke wasn't expecting?

We just hardcore double teamed him. He threw his first 3/4 passes away/out of bounds.

Danny knows how to defend stars pretty well, as he should given his pedigree.

Trying to invision Simmons taking his game to the NBA.

He might want to develop a jump shot. There are a lot of pro players that can defend his drives to the basket, particularly if he is no threat from the outside.

We just hardcore double teamed him. He threw his first 3/4 passes away/out of bounds.

Danny knows how to defend stars pretty well, as he should given his pedigree.

I seem to remember (though perhaps incorrectly), that we assigned an unusual mismatch to guard him and it was extremely effective. Darius Leonard, perhaps? I rewatched the stupid Mike Gminski highlight video and he complimented DM's gameplay for defending Okafor, but he only mentioned the double-teams.

Gminski probably was too busy bitching about DT's shitty attitude.

Y'all's memory is better than mine, so hopefully someone can remember: I remember DM coming up with a similarly unorthodox marking scheme for Okafor last year, and we held him to his second-lowest points total of the season thus far. Every team that played duke in the weeks afterwards copied the scheme. Anybody remember who we had on him that duke wasn't expecting?

IIRC it was the same strategy as putting Codi on Simmons. Stick a small guy on him who is active and won't lose him, have him front him and just keep him from getting the ball, then if he does get the ball quickly have a big guy rotate over to double-team. Seems like we want to make it seem to the big guy that he's more open than he is and then collapse on him quickly before he can turn around. He either has to pass back out or force up a bad shot.

Pretty happy now. Would like the Richmond game back, but otherwise happy.

IIRC it was the same strategy as putting Codi on Simmons. Stick a small guy on him who is active and won't lose him, have him front him and just keep him from getting the ball, then if he does get the ball quickly have a big guy rotate over to double-team. Seems like we want to make it seem to the big guy that he's more open than he is and then collapse on him quickly before he can turn around. He either has to pass back out or force up a bad shot.

I'd be interested to know if that sort of strategy gave Manning trouble as a player.

We're back...to at least being good, and getting better with each game. Thanks Coach. It's enjoyable to watch Wake hoops after a long, dry stretch.

People are hearing our name again all over the country. I live in LA and having bragging rights over UCLA friends is gold. We owe it all to Manning at this point considering the state of the program 2 years ago. I'm happy with the talent level and depth that we have. It says something when there are 2 freshmen stuck on the bench that I'd like to see play more. Those are uptown problems to have for sure.
Of course there are things to nitpick but I'm very confident this team is heading back to NCAA tournaments regularly while DM is here.

People are hearing our name again all over the country. I live in LA and having bragging rights over UCLA friends is gold. We owe it all to Manning at this point considering the state of the program 2 years ago. I'm happy with the talent level and depth that we have. It says something when there are 2 freshmen stuck on the bench that I'd like to see play more. Those are uptown problems to have for sure.
Of course there are things to nitpick but I'm very confident this team is heading back to NCAA tournaments regularly while DM is here.

Now if this can start translating to some big named recruits!

I think if people hadn't watched the games, and you told them that we'd go 9-3 in the non-con with wins over Indiana, UCLA on neutral courts, and a road win against LSU while CMM only having 19 points on the season so far, people would be beyond impressed.

It seems like there isn't that much enthusiasm though because we blew a big lead to the #6 team and because we look sloppy in long stretches?

I am loving watching this team grow and play better and better. When we get better shooters and players that can play real defense, watch out!

Trying to invision Simmons taking his game to the NBA.

He might want to develop a jump shot. There are a lot of pro players that can defend his drives to the basket, particularly if he is no threat from the outside.

He's only 19. I think he'll be just fine. He certainly does a lot of other things unusually well for a 6-10 kid. The kid had an off night and still ended up with 21 points and 12 rebounds. I think he's going to be a terrific pro before the dust settles.

If you're charting what you need to see in terms of team improvement since he took over, he's hitting the marks. We're consistently getting better, and I think he'll be able to really recruit well after we post a solid "bubble-like" season, which might be this year. There's every reason to be optimistic.

While DM's rotations have been puzzling at points, he has succeeded in giving lots of players game experience at various junctures of the game, including when games have been on the line (including Watson). He has also provided the opportunity for different combinations to become comfortable playing together. One obvious plus with this team as opposed to recent history is that we have numerous go to players down the stretch. Devin, Dinos, Crawford, Hudson, Wilbekin have all delivered game changing/winning plays in crunch time thus far. That's huge and hopefully will pay dividends in conference play.

It hasn't been seamless but DM is executing a team-building plan and it's actually going well.

Just a couple of small points from someone whose basketball knowledge is limited at best (though I did have 5 undefeated seasons in the incredibly competitive Scarsdale Rec League):

1. I think there is a lot going on up in Coach's head that we mere mortals can only begin to understand. Getting all the guys to play hard every minute they are on the court seems to be the main goal (to the extent I can figure it out). While no coach will ever achieve that goal, it seems to me we are moving in the right direction. I see some guys who aren't ever going to be great defenders, but they still seem to be trying.

2. Early in the season I think Coach was willing to sacrifice some offensive and defensive efficiency for the sake of coming closer to achieving the "play hard every minute" goal. That is probably coming to an end.

3. While I was in the group that was not wildly enthusiastic about hiring Manning (not that I was negative, just that I wasn't wildly happy about it as I have a prejudice against hiring great players as coaches as that often does not turn out well). The more I see of him, though, the more I am impressed. He seems to know what he wants to do and how to do it. And he just seems like a profoundly decent guy, someone you'd be happy to have mentoring your own kids if you were lucky enough to be offered the chance. That has to be a good thing, and is obviously a massive change from [I-hope-he-burns-in-hell-for-all-eternity-for-what-he-did-to-us].

I am very relieved that Collins and Moore are the guys he is going to be able to claim as his first real big men projects. Those two are going to be walking billboards for the "Danny Manning School for Talented Big Men" for years to come. Harry Giles is a coward and a fool. Nothing would make me happier than us beating Duke next week with DT and Collins taking their bigs to school.

Last edited:
Back