• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning appreciation thread

I think if people hadn't watched the games, and you told them that we'd go 9-3 in the non-con with wins over Indiana, UCLA on neutral courts, and a road win against LSU while CMM only having 19 points on the season so far, people would be beyond impressed.

It seems like there isn't that much enthusiasm though because we blew a big lead to the #6 team and because we look sloppy in long stretches?

nice move putting a guard on Simmons and causing a little confusion

pulled the team back together again after they started to become a turnover machine

conserved DT and Dinos well for the stretch run, where they carried us (along with BC)

won on the road again

even got some useful mileage out of Rondale tonight

He's not the best coach in the world. He's way better than [Redacted] though so I want to believe.

He has improved the program dramatically in a short period of time.
It's very fair to question what happens while the clock is running.

This is what, his 4th year of being a HC? I hope he's ours for the next 30.

Thought the strategy on Simmons was really good. He gets his points by going around big guys like he did Devin at the end. CMM and even Rondale did well for very long stretches.

Still question his game coaching. But he has an eye for talent and seems to be a very good teacher.

Still question his game coaching. But he has an eye for talent and seems to be a very good teacher.

That's the one area (in-game coaching) that I think you just kindof have to learn by doing with time. If that is his most critical deficiency now, I think he'll improve on that.

Nice road win against a one-man team. But, take it any day. In-game coaching is still very suspect at times. But, unlike Coach Clown Shoes, the kids really seem to play hard for Manning. That's half the battle.

Really wish we had the Xavier win heading into a brutal stretch of games.

anigif_enhanced-buzz-28304-1406281067-9.gif

It is now clear that Manning has seriously upgraded the talent level and will likely get more out of the older players than the previous regime did. I think people are still figuring out what the expectations should be for this team. They have played well enough in stretches for me to feel really bad about the Richmond loss and the blown lead against X.

Navigated the nonconference games very well. Now we get a shot at L'ville and Duke. Those are a couple of fair coaches to tangle with right out of the gate.

Calm down guys. A stone was an upgrade from Bz. So by comparison Danny looks excellent. We will know more later in the year. Need to keep improving and playing our best ball in late February opposed to last season where we certainly regressed in the final weeks, but I do believe the way we lost at UVA had a lot to do with that.

His rotation tonight was good. I think he has narrowed down his rotations for conference play.

Nice road win against a one-man team. But, take it any day. In-game coaching is still very suspect at times. But, unlike Coach Clown Shoes, the kids really seem to play hard for Manning. That's half the battle.

Really wish we had the Xavier win heading into a brutal stretch of games.
LSU isn't a one man team. Lot of highly recruited players on that roster. Just no coaching or cohesion

Thought the strategy on Simmons was really good. He gets his points by going around big guys like he did Devin at the end. CMM and even Rondale did well for very long stretches.

Y'all's memory is better than mine, so hopefully someone can remember: I remember DM coming up with a similarly unorthodox marking scheme for Okafor last year, and we held him to his second-lowest points total of the season thus far. Every team that played duke in the weeks afterwards copied the scheme. Anybody remember who we had on him that duke wasn't expecting?

Back