• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What would do with $1.5B?

Pay back anything my family has given me x5. Buy some property in Europe. Quit my job. Go to a lot of soccer matches. Travel a lot. Then settle down and start a non profit benefiting kids in Kenya

For those with kids, anyone afraid that that level of wealth would just completely ruin them? Eg is there a n optimal level of wealth that would maximize enjoyment while not ruining your kids?

The kids are Wake fans. Their lives are already ruined.

I'd buy the Joel and rename it the Ron Wellman Center for kids who suck at basketball. Instead of the Deacon head at midcourt I'd just make an artist design Ron Wellman's mouth wide open ready to suck.

Nothing too crazy. Pay off mine and the future Mrs. Clutch's student loans, pay for our wedding, buy a place in Telluride, Kiawah, and Santa Barbra. Pay for my sister and nephew's college. Put money in trust for my family. Then spend my years buying race horses and vineyards.

Pay back anything my family has given me x5. Buy some property in Europe. Quit my job. Go to a lot of soccer matches. Travel a lot. Then settle down and start a non profit benefiting kids in Kenya

Kenya - the cradle of American presidents.

For those with kids, anyone afraid that that level of wealth would just completely ruin them? Eg is there a n optimal level of wealth that would maximize enjoyment while not ruining your kids?

I am afraid of affluenza, but vaccinating would only give them autism.

I think this is entirely dependent on you rather than the amount of money you have

Interesting thread on twitter. Added additional tweets in text below.

glad I just read about foundations, since that's what I'll have to do after I win tonight.

You win 1.6 billion and all you give yourself is a million dollar salary?

That’s terrible advice.

The idea that people can’t manage $1.6b is preposterous unless they’re a Trump.

A few things would influence my decisions - I'm fucking old, Federal Income taxes will likely be higher in the future as will gift/estate taxes (possibly much higher).

I'd take the $904 mil cash option and set up a $100 mil foundation. Foundation goals would be support for orphans, St Jude's, healthcare research (Cancer, heart and stroke), abused women and children, the Arts and a few churches that were influencial in our parents and our lives. My children would be the foundation officers .

The remaining $804 pre-tax mil is still a staggering amount. Even if I don't use tax avoidance strategies and just pay the income tax on the full amount, I net $460 mil. I would use the unlimited marital deduction to move half to my wife. We then use our lifetime 22 mil gift/estate tax exclusion to give my our daughters $11 mil each.

We're down to a paltry $438 mil. There's no way we could responsibly blow more than $40 mil in our lifetimes, but hell, let's make it $50 mil. I want to further secure my daughters' future and provide for the five sibling branches my wife and I have. 10% of post-tax divided between those five families gives each branch say $10 mil, but costs me $17 mil due to gift tax if I don't set up trusts. Even I don't, I have $300 mil left to divide between my daughters ($180 mil after gift tax). I suspect the $100+ mil each (plus whatever crumbs we don't spend before we die) would be sufficient to keep their famiies going for a few generations.

Even without really trying, my wife and I win, our children win, our extended family wins, worthy efforts/research are funded and the IRS books, $500 mil or so.

Oh yeah, I'd make sure we have a competent basketball coach.

Last edited:
Back