• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What would do with $1.5B?

both the lump sum and 30-yr payouts are unfathomable to me. I mean, I'd totally quit my job - that's a given - but after that? I'd definitely travel a ton, buy a few houses, make sure family is situated... and then I don't even know. Things that come to mind are, like, "buy a new bike!" but that's $8k out of hundreds of millions. Whoop-de-doo. Hell, even homes don't make a dent in it (not the ones I'd get, anyway).

I'm sure I could figure it out, but I don't even know what I would do with my days. I like structure and having a schedule (and a job/task) so I'd have to create or find some way to be a productive member of society.

No I want a $500K playhouse

A proper play house should have an indoor bowling alley, basketball court and a tennis court. An indoor golf simulator and a putting green. Also a swimmable moat. $4 million, minimum.

That's not the idea of this place bro. This is more of a hang out and drink and watch sports spot. Air hockey and/or ping pong tables could be considered. Maybe I'd hire a hot bartender chick to work during big games.

Can you choose anonymity? Because whether or not people know I have that much money is going to be key in deciding how ostentatious I am with my spending.

I'll tell you this . . . I'm not ever flying commercial again.

Can you choose anonymity? Because whether or not people know I have that much money is going to be key in deciding how ostentatious I am with my spending.

Depends on your state. Some states allow it and others do not.

I've posted essentially the same thing on a couple of threads about lottery winnings, but I still think it's the best plan.

With a cash option of $806 million, I would take the cash option and assume I'm paying in the range of 43% income tax, combined federal and state. I would contribute approximately $292 million to a donor advised fund to support my philanthropic/charitable efforts through my lifetime and hopefully well beyond. That would take my tax liability from around $347 million down to approximately $221 million (donor advised fund with a pubic charity rather than a new private foundation because of the higher 50% of AGI charitable deduction limitation), leaving me with a net of $292 million or so. Not sure what I would "buy" after that, but that would definitely be my plan. You could donate more (50%) to really minimize the tax, but I kind of like the symmetry of the net amounts to me and to charity.

Yeah, this is definitely something I would want.

Also, re: never flying commercial again. Honestly, I kind of like the chaos of the airport... And I think I'd get SO MUCH pleasure from just flying first/business class wherever. I dunno. That would be my initial plan, but then it would be nice to know if that turns out to suck I can just get a jet.

Also, re: never flying commercial again. Honestly, I kind of like the chaos of the airport... And I think I'd get SO MUCH pleasure from just flying first/business class wherever. I dunno. That would be my initial plan, but then it would be nice to know if that turns out to suck I can just get a jet.

Don't buy a jet. It's not worth it for the vast majority of people. Just use NetJets or Delta Private Jets or whatever.

You can have anonymity if you set up a trust. Pretty sure this doesn't vary by state.

you seem to get alot of joy out of being poor

there's no way commercial flying would ever be worth it vs. private. that's just silly. commercial airports are a huge waste of time and energy

That's not the idea of this place bro. This is more of a hang out and drink and watch sports spot. Air hockey and/or ping pong tables could be considered. Maybe I'd hire a hot bartender chick to work during big games.

You can't have a place to hang out and watch sports in the same place? Think big. You'll be spending that Harvard money soon enough.

Last edited:
You can have anonymity if you set up a trust. Pretty sure this doesn't vary by state.

It's that the states require you to present yourself in person to claim the prize.

As far as spending a combination of LLCs, trusts, and partnerships gets the job done.

Depends on the state. Some states allow LLCs or trusts to claim prizes, others do not. I believe there are 5 or 6 states that permit complete anonymity.

Anyone here like their job enough to continue working if they could remain anonymous?

Back