• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What would do with $1.5B?

I'd continue being a lawyer but would go to work for a place like the innocent project.

I would use my remote estate as a research lab to create AI, but I'd probably get drunk a lot in the process.

blow and hookers would be about the last things on my mind. I need to live to enjoy it.

$750k-$1mm house in 2-3 spots, couple of lawyers on retainer in applicable specialties, personal chef & driver, and one of the finest beer caves in existence.

This is a fun little dream, isn't it? Some more thoughts...

If you think about it, there is really no reason to buy vacation homes in many places - only 2 or 3 places where you want to go a lot. Otherwise you can always afford to rent the nicest places anywhere else you want to visit.

I would buy a killer place on the waterway near Wrightsville - or maybe Charleston - and a killer boat, of course. I would buy a nice big chunk of land in the mountains of NC and build one hell of a mountain cabin - big enough for my entire extended family to visit. I would primarily move between those two places when not traveling.

I would set aside 10-15M to give away to family members over time, support their kids' education, etc.
I would put $50M in an investment fund and pretty much forget about it. After 20 years at a conservative 3% it would be worth over $90M.
Another $50M invested would provide income to live on - over a million as long as you could get more than 2% return. I could live on that - without touching the principal.

I think real estate is a really safe investment that can provide income and appreciation - as long as you are smart in your selection process. That would probably be my primary "job" - researching real estate investments and managing the properties. Without the need for mortgages, you could easily buy $20M in income properties that would provide net income in the range of 5% of your investment - or another $1M in income.

I would certainly set up a charitable trust of $50M or more - I would hope to give away at least half of my original take to charities over my lifetime.

For fun stuff... I'm sure that amount of money would allow me to work my way onto every one of the greatest 100 golf courses in the world. I would visit every one of the 'places you must visit' in the world. I would do at least one multi-month cruise around the world. I would hire a personal trainer and run marathons on every continent. I might try to qualify for Kona - but I don't know if I want to spend that much of my time training.

I would play in the World Poker Tour Main event every year. I would hike the AT. I would hike the Pacific Crest. I would travel the intracoastal waterway from Maine to Florida.

I would hope to focus on collecting experiences and making memories as opposed to collecting things.

you seem to get alot of joy out of being poor

But at least I know "alot" isn't a word.
For real though, I like the airport. I like people-watching, I don't get all bent out of shape when plans change, etc. the process of flying in airports these days is still novel enough to me that I just appreciate it and/or am amused by it rather than get annoyed by it.

Also, I definitely would not buy a jet- just netjet or whatever. Similarly, I wouldn't buy houses everywhere because I could rent/stay at a nice place whenever I want and not sniff the actual cost of a house.

Vegas with the boys would be the first thing.

What would do with $1.3B?

I would disappear. I'd use the money to fall off the grid and go into obscurity; just travel to places where people don't know me and my family for a while until everything died down and then I'd probably spend a lot of time adventuring; maybe build a land cruiser and do the Pan American highway or something like that.

What would do with $1.3B?

Also, I call bullshit on people saying they would still work. The only reason you say you would is because you can't truly conceptualize how much money you'd have if you won. None of us really can understand what that would be like to have that kind of money.

Last edited:
Also, I call bullshit on people saying they would still work. The only reason you say you would is because you can't truly conceptualize how much money you'd have if you won. None of us really can understand what that would be like to have that kind of money.

I love my job. I'm not in my field because of the money.

Yeah, this is definitely something I would want.

Also, re: never flying commercial again. Honestly, I kind of like the chaos of the airport... And I think I'd get SO MUCH pleasure from just flying first/business class wherever. I dunno. That would be my initial plan, but then it would be nice to know if that turns out to suck I can just get a jet.

First/business for most international, charter for pretty much everything else.

I'd try and keep working but lord, it'd be tough not to be a dick to everyone I don't like knowing I have all that money

Back