• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What would do with $1.5B?

Managing your empire would be a full time job.

That and travel.

Oh snap so the extra dollar power play multiplies your winnings so if you win and get a 5 for the power play you get like 5 billion instead of 1 billion...daaaannnngggg

Oh snap so the extra dollar power play multiplies your winnings so if you win and get a 5 for the power play you get like 5 billion instead of 1 billion...daaaannnngggg

No power play on jackpot.

This much money is hard to fathom but I've talked to a few people about plans for past smaller jackpots. I would build out 2 hunting/fishing properties in NC. One on the Outer Banks and one in the Mountains. These would be staffed with the best guides I know. A couple that I already know would sign up tomorrow. Luxury cabins and a lodge with all gear supplied. Everything would be included. Our guests would just show up with a small bag and we take care of everything. My role will be to show up whenever I want and enjoy myself with the guests between trips all over the world. I would have a couple of rentals going each year. One year a place in Manhattan or Chicago or LA or Steamboat or Austin or Santa Fe, etc. I think I would need a pilot and a small turbo prop to take me around. Something that can land at smaller airports. I would have enough "stuff" at each location to only require a small backpack to travel. I would not own a cellphone and have a personal assistant to make arrangements, get me food, make sure I have everything I need/want at each place. I want the freedom to decide to fly fish in Montana tomorrow and make it happen.

I would invest half of it in low risk mutual funds and then take the other half over to my friend Asadulah who works in securities...

Man, I can't believe I've never thought about this with any detail beyond (I'd pay off my debt). I reckon I'd call my buddy who is an estate planner and figure out how to protect whatever I can for starters. I figure I can count on $400 million in cash to do what I please.

1- Write ridiculous checks (I'm thinking $25 million +) to College Park Baptist in GSO, Backpack Beginnings, and a couple other charitable organizations that move me. I'd write WFU Athletics a nice check to upgrade the Joel. There goes $125 million!
2- I have a small family (4 parents, one sister, a few in-laws). I'd write them each a check for $500,000 and then set up a drip that gives them $60,000 per year for life and tell them if they ever ask for another penny they will never hear from me again. I'd do the same with some life long friends. There goes another $15 million! I'm down to only $250 million. Whew.
3- Buy some land in Asheville and build a great house with my wife. Probably out by Brevard. That would be the primary residence. then a townhome right in downtown Asheville and one in downtown Greensboro and one in Wake Forest, the town. I'd put my mother in law up on Wrightsville in a great house where her arthritis wouldn't bother her so much. I'd buy a fun lake house with a great dock and a fun boat. Plus jet skis because my wife loves a jet ski. That's it for property. My version of a great house is probably around $1.5 million. Something like 6 BR, 6BA with a pool and dock. A townhouse is just a normal townhouse. 3 bedroom, 2 bath type. I'd be down to about $240 million. Sheesh. I'm almost BROKE.
4- I'd buy out all of my business partners and allow key employees to buy in slowly over time after significantly improving their quarterly bonuses. Then I'd hire enough people to stay slightly overstaffed instead of perpetually under staffed. I'd include someone to do my job who is better than me and quit. I'd serve on the board. That would cost me about $30 million today, but it's profitable enough to stay above water even staffing up a good bit, so it wouldn't be a drain. Down to $210mm!
5- I'd buy a kid's camp up in the Asheville area and run that for my real job. There would be no fee for those who can't afford it, and we'd work hard to turn good kids into great kids by teaching them empathy, self-reliance, the value of hard work, how to be a servant-leader, etc. Probably end up spending $20 million on that when it's all said and done. So I'm down to $190 million. Again I would hire the right people to work it and I'd do vision. It would need to about break even.
7- New Subarus for my wife and I, at each house! We so fancy.

Then I'd spend my free time, which would be rather substantial, riding bikes with friends and traveling with my family. Because honestly, that's what I like.

I reckon that's about it.

No more standing in line for anything ever.
I hate waiting.

This much money is hard to fathom but I've talked to a few people about plans for past smaller jackpots. I would build out 2 hunting/fishing properties in NC. One on the Outer Banks and one in the Mountains. These would be staffed with the best guides I know. A couple that I already know would sign up tomorrow. Luxury cabins and a lodge with all gear supplied. Everything would be included. Our guests would just show up with a small bag and we take care of everything. My role will be to show up whenever I want and enjoy myself with the guests between trips all over the world. I would have a couple of rentals going each year. One year a place in Manhattan or Chicago or LA or Steamboat or Austin or Santa Fe, etc. I think I would need a pilot and a small turbo prop to take me around. Something that can land at smaller airports. I would have enough "stuff" at each location to only require a small backpack to travel. I would not own a cellphone and have a personal assistant to make arrangements, get me food, make sure I have everything I need/want at each place. I want the freedom to decide to fly fish in Montana tomorrow and make it happen.

This sounds like a plan to me. I think I could travel for 20+ years before I got bored of it.

This post is a must read if you want to understand both the negative, life-destroying effects of winning the lottery and a suggested method of avoiding these pitfalls.

I like my job, but would definitely quit it because you only get to live once and spending it working in an office when you don't have to is stupid as fuck.

I'd buy a sweet ass house in the mountains with a tiiiight long range mountain view and a hot tub.

Would get a tricked out RV and drive to every national park and MLB stadium and anything remotely interesting.

Would travel to everywhere where I wouldn't be murdered.

Only catch with all this stuff is WTF I do with the kids and also trying to not make them assholes or drug addicts, so that would be hard.

Whoever brought up not needing many houses because you can afford the nicest accommodations wherever you want to travel had a good point.

I'd split the money up into a couple of different places. I'd establish Deacon Capital and hire buckets and some other of the smartest people I know to run that. Obviously structure it to get that carried interest income. I'd operate out of Charlottesville and buy my parents house that they sold last year and oversee things from there. Obviously I'd get a Netjet account for business purposes.

Would definitely have some more traditional investments for safety net purposes and to generate my day to day walking around money. I'd have a charitable foundation and make some big donations to Wake, UVA, and UF plus some other charities. I'd also get game day houses in Winston and Gainesville.

I'd still buy a couple of houses for the purposes of fixing them up in different desirous locations. My bourbon collection would be on point and I'd have a box for Nats Caps and Jags games.

Going to need some new whips. Probably get a nice ass truck, new Tahoe, and something German with four doors.

Man, I can't believe I've never thought about this with any detail beyond (I'd pay off my debt). I reckon I'd call my buddy who is an estate planner and figure out how to protect whatever I can for starters. I figure I can count on $400 million in cash to do what I please.

1- Write ridiculous checks (I'm thinking $25 million +) to College Park Baptist in GSO, Backpack Beginnings, and a couple other charitable organizations that move me. I'd write WFU Athletics a nice check to upgrade the Joel. There goes $125 million!
2- I have a small family (4 parents, one sister, a few in-laws). I'd write them each a check for $500,000 and then set up a drip that gives them $60,000 per year for life and tell them if they ever ask for another penny they will never hear from me again. I'd do the same with some life long friends. There goes another $15 million! I'm down to only $250 million. Whew.
3- Buy some land in Asheville and build a great house with my wife. Probably out by Brevard. That would be the primary residence. then a townhome right in downtown Asheville and one in downtown Greensboro and one in Wake Forest, the town. I'd put my mother in law up on Wrightsville in a great house where her arthritis wouldn't bother her so much. I'd buy a fun lake house with a great dock and a fun boat. Plus jet skis because my wife loves a jet ski. That's it for property. My version of a great house is probably around $1.5 million. Something like 6 BR, 6BA with a pool and dock. A townhouse is just a normal townhouse. 3 bedroom, 2 bath type. I'd be down to about $240 million. Sheesh. I'm almost BROKE.
4- I'd buy out all of my business partners and allow key employees to buy in slowly over time after significantly improving their quarterly bonuses. Then I'd hire enough people to stay slightly overstaffed instead of perpetually under staffed. I'd include someone to do my job who is better than me and quit. I'd serve on the board. That would cost me about $30 million today, but it's profitable enough to stay above water even staffing up a good bit, so it wouldn't be a drain. Down to $210mm!
5- I'd buy a kid's camp up in the Asheville area and run that for my real job. There would be no fee for those who can't afford it, and we'd work hard to turn good kids into great kids by teaching them empathy, self-reliance, the value of hard work, how to be a servant-leader, etc. Probably end up spending $20 million on that when it's all said and done. So I'm down to $190 million. Again I would hire the right people to work it and I'd do vision. It would need to about break even.
7- New Subarus for my wife and I, at each house! We so fancy.

Then I'd spend my free time, which would be rather substantial, riding bikes with friends and traveling with my family. Because honestly, that's what I like.

I reckon that's about it.

I would do this same thing but probably not the initial cash up front for them. I'm no financial expert but at a 3% growth a year you'd need to invest $2 million per person to generate about $60k before taxes. But I like the idea of saying "here is YOUR money, now leave me the fuck alone and don't keep coming back for more cuz you are set up for life".

I'd defs quit my job and I'd probs buy one of those new Bugatti yachts and cruise around for a while.

I'd also build a complete gym with a steam room and whirlpool and hire a personal trainer every morning along with a personal chef.

Back