• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What would do with $1.5B?

BillBrasky

#PSF
Reaction score
That's the current estimate for the next Powerball drawing as of right now.

I'll start:

Take the cash option, $806M, according to the website. Assuming the 40% federal tax rate (I slightly rounded up) and no state income tax in Texas, I'm taking home $483.6M.

After getting the proper attorneys, bankers, etc, my first goal would be to spend $3.6M as fast as possible because I like round numbers. I'm thinking a 2 week trip to somewhere awesome (Caribbean, Monaco, whatever) with my brother and a couple other buddies where the only goal is to spend all $3.6M of it. A lot of gambling. May as well go ahead and get that epic bender out of my system.

So now I have $480M. My big purchase would be an MLS franchise to bring to Austin. Id build a sick downtown stadium to go along with it. That's probably about $200M total after all the fees, salaries and construction costs. Running the organization would be my full time job, but I'd hire really good people to work for me so I wouldn't have to be that involved. I'll obviously be traveling a lot.

I'd then invest $200M in a wide variety of shit. Real estate, stock market, rental properties, etc. I'd live off of that and give 75% of my annual profits to redeemable charities. Nothing religious and none of these big box charities with insane overhead. I'd start a trust and hire a finance buddy or two to run it. I would approve all charitable donations. I'd also endow a couple scholarships at Charlotte, Alabama, Texas State and Wake. They would be needs based.

$30M would go to personal homes and property. Nice house right outside of DT in Austin, beach house on Sullivan's, and a place or two in destination locations. Probably one in the Caribbean and one in Colorado. I'd allow my close friends and family to stay there if I wasn't in town. Nothing too spectacular, just a place to hang when people are visiting.

The last $50M I would earmark for immediate giving. I'd take care of my immediate family (Mom and bro), give most of my extended family a one-time pay out of $50-100K, and offer to pay for any family members college education. Also any friends and family that want to pitch me business ideas are welcome to do so. I might also start a small VC fund ($5M) and let my buddies here in Austin run that. As with the trust I'd have final say.

*too long for editing hungover, I apologize for the grammatical errors

Last edited:
I would fund RJ's new Wake Forest message board with the best message board software and technology known to mankind

The cliche is the correct answer. Hookers and blow. Cause anyone you date for the rest of your life is essentially going to be a hooker anyways, and you never have to give a whore half.

I would buy 600 turtles, slaughter them, and paint half their shells red, and build the most advanced damn go-karts the world has ever seen and fly all my buddies out to play real life mario kart.

Also I didn't buy a ticket yesterday, probably should go ahead and do that today for Wed

My initial trip would obviously involve copious amounts of a hookers and a little blow. Not trying to die now that I'm rich.

is $200mm enough to buy a soccer team and stadium? I have no idea but that sounds low

Is there any level the payout can get that it will behoove wall street types to just buy $500MM worth of tickets?

Brasky has a pretty good plan but once he starts planning for estate and gift tax consequences he is going to have a lot less money.

First thing I would do would pay off all my debts. I'd also buy a bunch of houses in various places (Charlottesville, Ski House, Beach House, Lake House) but I'd purposely buy run down homes and spend my days fixing them up.

Eventually, I think I'd try and live off of the land as much as possible and stay off the grid. Spend my days fishing, hunting (which I've never done) and writing the great American novel.

is $200mm enough to buy a soccer team and stadium? I have no idea but that sounds low

The MLS franchise fee is $75M I think. Factor in $100M for a 30K stadium. Maybe that's low. Then again I have the other $200M that I can play with. So maybe make that $150M, and $250M to the team.

And yeah I know my numbers aren't exact but I have plenty of room to round up so I'm good. Those are just my big ideas. I have plenty of margin for error.

I would buy 600 turtles, slaughter them, and paint half their shells red, and build the most advanced damn go-karts the world has ever seen and fly all my buddies out to play real life mario kart.

This is the best answer I have ever seen.

Is there any level the payout can get that it will behoove wall street types to just buy $500MM worth of tickets?

Wasn't their some group a while back that bought a ton of tickets, ended up winning, but missed the claim deadline because it took too long to get through all the tickets to find the winner?

That's the current estimate for the next Powerball drawing as of right now.

I'll start:

Take the cash option, $806M, according to the website. Assuming the 40% federal tax rate (I slightly rounded up) and no state income tax in Texas, I'm taking home $483.6M.

After getting the proper attorneys, bankers, etc, my first goal would be to spend $3.6M as fast as possible because I like round numbers. I'm thinking a 2 week trip to somewhere awesome (Caribbean, Monaco, whatever) with my brother and a couple other buddies where the only goal is to spend all $3.6M of it. A lot of gambling. May as well go ahead and get that epic bender out of my system.

So now I have $480M. My big purchase would be an MLS franchise to bring to Austin. Id build a sick downtown stadium to go along with it. That's probably about $200M total after all the fees, salaries and construction costs. Running the organization would be my full time job, but I'd hire really good people to work for me so I wouldn't have to be that involved. I'll obviously be traveling a lot.

I'd then invest $200M in a wide variety of shit. Real estate, stock market, rental properties, etc. I'd live off of that and give 75% of my annual profits to redeemable charities. Nothing religious and none of these big box charities with insane overhead. I'd start a trust and hire a finance buddy or two to run it. I would approve all charitable donations. I'd also endow a couple scholarships at Charlotte, Alabama, Texas State and Wake. They would be needs based.

$30M would go to personal homes and property. Nice house right outside of DT in Austin, beach house on Sullivan's, and a place or two in destination locations. Probably one in the Caribbean and one in Colorado. I'd allow my close friends and family to stay there if I wasn't in town. Nothing too spectacular, just a place to hang when people are visiting.

The last $50M I would earmark for immediate giving. I'd take care of my immediate family (Mom and bro), give most of my extended family a one-time pay out of $50-100K, and offer to pay for any family members college education. Also any friends and family that want to pitch me business ideas are welcome to do so. I might also start a small VC fund ($5M) and let my buddies here in Austin run that. As with the trust I'd have final say.

*too long for editing hungover, I apologize for the grammatical errors

MLS? That is a good way to go through most of the money in 10 years.

With $480mm free and clear it would be pretty easy to take care of all your future generations... With $100mm in safe investments yielding even 2% a year, that would be $2m annual income to live on and/or invest further. With another $100mm you buy distressed real estate, land in areas to be developed over the next 20 years and maybe a couple of low risk businesses or franchises. Those could employ kids, relatives, etc. -and hopefully grow. The real estate would grow in value and/or provide additional income. With another $100mm you set aside in a foundation to be invested and given away to various charities or to support your own chaitzable work.

And you still have another $180mm to play with. If you end up splitting the winnings just cut the numbers in half or whatever.

Back