• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The STFU Thread

I'll admit it was refreshing to hear a Republican who didn't come off as a complete psychopath, even if only for a few minutes.

Obama's speech was great. That dude can talk.

Haley's speech was also great. I thought she did very, very well.

Reactions: ONW
So much better than that clown Joni Ernst last year. That was fucking ridiculous.

Watching Haley now. Her mouth is asymmetrical. One side is higher than the other. It is very distracting.

It's strange to me to hear Republicans talk about the economy being too weak to increase wages when they're fighting hard for the right of employers to pay as little as possible.

She definitely sent a message that she won't be Trump's VP. Probably won't be Cruz' either. She'd do better lining up to run against Hillary.

Not sure what her point is using similar language to talk about immigrants as she did to talk about Dylann Roof with respect to welcoming people who look different.

Watching Haley now. Her mouth is asymmetrical. One side is higher than the other. It is very distracting.

It's strange to me to hear Republicans talk about the economy being too weak to increase wages when they're fighting hard for the right of employers to pay as little as possible.

She definitely sent a message that she won't be Trump's VP. Probably won't be Cruz' either. She'd do better lining up to run against Hillary.

Not sure what her point is using similar language to talk about immigrants as she did to talk about Dylann Roof with respect to welcoming people who look different.

Both sides hand pick stats on the economy to supporting their views to a maddening extent

Obama really went into zero fucks mode tonight. Pretty amazing to see a president basically call people ignorant on several different issues. And he is right

The only time I thought he went too far was calling people out about Isis. I thought it made the "lets all get along and work together part of the speech" seem a little insincere.

I'm about 40 minutes behind watching the CNN coverage. Dana Bash interviewed Bernie Sanders about the SOTU and then ambushed him with a Hillary commercial about guns that debuted during the speech and then ambushed him with a soundbite from pregnant Chelsea knocking his health care plan. Kind of ridiculous. They did give him a complementary quote from Biden at the end though. I think Bernie handled it well. It lasted for quite awhile.

I'm about 40 minutes behind watching the CNN coverage. Dana Bash interviewed Bernie Sanders about the SOTU and then ambushed him with a Hillary commercial about guns that debuted during the speech and then ambushed him with a soundbite from pregnant Chelsea knocking his health care plan. Kind of ridiculous. They did give him a complementary quote from Biden at the end though. I think Bernie handled it well. It lasted for quite awhile.

I saw that and thought that was so awkward. "So the president just gave the state of the union but who cares let's talk about this random commercial and sound byte" I guess they figured Bernie wouldn't say anything interesting about Obama

It was like "Now that we've got you here, let's hear you talk shit about Hillary."

I'd love it if election season didn't start until at least a week after the final State of the Union of a President's term. A least give the President that before he/she is yesterday's news.

That point was scary to me. The lead up to it was that the people in the Church invited someone who wasn't one of them and didn't look like them into their group and then he ended up shooting them. What's the logical conclusion to that? We shouldn't let people who in who don't look like us? I realize that she later was trying to embrace immigrants, but still.

And Charleston didn't erupt in violence afterwards I would argue, largely because it's the most liberal city in South Carolina, not because it's a conservative stalwart.

Overall, it's obvious that the GOP is desperate to play identity politics, "Ohhh, an Indian female conservative, ohhh, a black doctor conservative, ohhh, an Indian male conservative." However, when you listen to her speech, it's just the same GOP tired tropes over and over without any specifics, i.e. government is too big, lower taxes, too many regulations, we'll win wars, we love God.

Charleston didn't erupt in violence because there was no reason to believe justice wasn't served.

Been once. There wasn't anything to protest. The system worked. A bad guy did a bad thing and was arrested. There are protests when bad guys do bad things and they aren't arrested.

The only time I thought he went too far was calling people out about Isis. I thought it made the "lets all get along and work together part of the speech" seem a little insincere.

Maybe. I also saw some statistics floating around last night that he could have gone balls to the wall and brought up stats like "you are more likely to be struck by lightning or die by cow stampede than be killed by a terrorist in America" but chose to be more diplomatic.

Back