• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The STFU Thread

Maybe. I also saw some statistics floating around last night that he could have gone balls to the wall and brought up stats like "you are more likely to be struck by lightning or die by cow stampede than be killed by a terrorist in America" but chose to be more diplomatic.

As the home of one of the largest single terror attacks in history, I doubt that would have been received well by the public. People haven't magically forgotten 9/11.

Been once. There wasn't anything to protest. The system worked. A bad guy did a bad thing and was arrested. There are protests when bad guys do bad things and they aren't arrested.

There are also protests when good guys didn't do bad things and are arrested, prosecuted and acquitted. Protests are not omnipotent.

This. 9/11 is a great example of anecdotes being way more powerful than statistics.

The statistic may be true, but it's one of the only moments in our lifetime that we will all be able to recite exactly where we were and what we did at that exact point in time. The President citing those statistics during the State of the Union could be viewed as downplaying 9/11. It would almost certainly be spun that way.

well, if anything, the real damage of 9/11 were our adventures after. The reaction did way more damage than the actual attack itself. AQ wins again.

The statistic may be true, but it's one of the only moments in our lifetime that we will all be able to recite exactly where we were and what we did at that exact point in time. The President citing those statistics during the State of the Union could be viewed as downplaying 9/11. It would almost certainly be spun that way.

Sure. I wasn't advocating that he should have done it, I was pointing out that he was far more tempered than he could have been.

Been once. There wasn't anything to protest. The system worked. A bad guy did a bad thing and was arrested. There are protests when bad guys do bad things and they aren't arrested.

Keep in mind this followed the shooting of the black guy running away from the cop caught on camera. The cop was quickly arrested.

JHMD thinks he's sooooo clever. Or maybe he is, idk.

My kind of joke, actually.

Because he was caught on camera shooting a guy who was running away and he clearly tried to set him up. No grey area and he was arrested. Nothing to protest.

Don't think the Obama could downplay the likelihood of a terrorist attack while using a recent terrorist attack (in part) to stress the need for gun control.

Note: did not hear the speech (yet), but understand he didn't talk much about guns.

Didn't realize Nikki Haley was from a Sikh family, how'd she ever get elected in SC?

if y'all noticed that "cancer moonshot" shoutout last night, you can thank my organization for their work with joe biden this past month

really cool to hear the stuff that's been going on in our office make it to the state of the union

Back