• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Saudi World Golf Tour 2022/2023 Thread

There’s been a trend during the last few Opens of winners being a few strokes under par to significantly under par, including Koepka last year at 16 under. That’s a John Deere Classic score, not US Open. I have not had a chance to watch any of it today, but it would not surprise me if the USGA really put some teeth into Shinnecock in the course set-up.

Actually, the set-up this year is very similar to last year's set-up with wide fairways, a few yards of penal rough and then hay. The hay last year and this year is a 1 stroke penalty. The major difference between last year and this is the wind. Last year they had none and got a little rain to soften it up. Had they had wind and no rain at Erin Hills, the winning score would have been much closer to par. The other difference is the greens. Some of Shinnecock's greens have limited spaces where you can put pins, and a few of them are incredibly difficult. Hell, they were hitting 60-100 yard pitches to 10 and still making bogey and double. The other thing Davis did in this year's set-up was to shave around the greens. So when you go long, you're pretty much toast. The chips would be easier if you were only a foot over the green in the rough.

I really like Mike Davis. He's the opposite of the USGA nimrod predecessors. He has done tough but fair set-ups. This year the weather is exactly what he wants, and even par could win it. When the weather doesn't cooperate, like it didn't at Erin Hills and Congressional, he hasn't panicked and has let them go low. In 2004, the USGA panicked after some low scores the first couple of days and dried the greens so they were almost like asphalt. Then the winds picked up, and the course wasn't playable. Davis' only mistake has been murdering the greens at Chambers Bay. If Chambers Bay wants to host another big event in the summer, they should change the greens from fescue to bent or bermuda so they won't die when it's 80+ degrees.

Should make mention of Hubert Green who passed away at the age of 71. Green won two majors, including the 1977 US Open, during which he was informed by USGA officials that they’d received a threat that he would be shot when he reached the 15th green. Nineteen time PGA Tour winner and tough as nails. RIP.

Should make mention of Hubert Green who passed away at the age of 71. Green won two majors, including the 1977 US Open, during which he was informed by USGA officials that they’d received a threat that he would be shot when he reached the 15th green. Nineteen time PGA Tour winner and tough as nails. RIP.

So sorry to hear that
71 is way too young

Met him several times, including as a wide-eyed 9-year old kid at the U.S. Open. He could have signed my hat and walked off (or not signed it at all), but he spent several minutes asking me about my golf game, family, etc. Still have that hat too.

Bubba be back.
3 wins in the first half of the year.
All this after he contemplated hanging it up.
Pretty nice recovery.

Bubba be back.
3 wins in the first half of the year.
All this after he contemplated hanging it up.
Pretty nice recovery.

"recovery"

Putt-putt balls for $1 million / year vs $5 million already this year

Just unbelievably short sighted. May have been the worst $1,000,000 Volvik ever spent. Don’t love that Bubba is going to be a Ryder Cup Guy this season unfortunately.

Just unbelievably short sighted. May have been the worst $1,000,000 Volvik ever spent. Don’t love that Bubba is going to be a Ryder Cup Guy this season unfortunately.

Bubba on the Ryder Cup team in France...oh mon dieu! Anyone remember the last time Bubba played in Paris? It did not end well.

Perhaps vindication will be sweet for the enigmatic Gerry Lester Watson in gay Paris...sacre bleu!!

There's "Bad Bubba" and then there's good ol' Gerry doin' the right thing...nice donation!

HARTFORD, Connecticut – The Travelers Championship today announced that its three-time winner Bubba Watson has donated $200,000 to the tournament in support of The Hole in the Wall Gang Camp. With Watson’s donation, the 2018 Travelers Championship has generated $2 million for charity.

"It is such an honor to be a part of this tournament," Watson said. "They’ve always made me feel like family. Every year they’re making improvements, making the tournament better, growing the charitable donations, doing more for the families, caddies, fans. I can’t say enough about how impressive this tournament is and how much they impact the community by giving back."

The Hole in the Wall Gang Camp is the tournament’s primary beneficiary. The organization was founded in 1988 by Paul Newman and provides a camp experience for children facing serious illnesses. Three campers — Tyler Backus, Carly Demartino and Jeremy Brown — served as the Honorary Co-Chairs this year, helping to raise awareness about the important role Camp plays in the lives of more than 20,000 children and family members each year.

“Bubba is a tremendous person with a huge heart, and this unbelievable gesture is a demonstration of how much he cares about others,” said Andy Bessette, Executive Vice President and Chief Administrative Officer of Travelers. “On behalf of everyone at Travelers, I want to thank him and his family for their ongoing support of our goal of raising more money for charity.”

I don't root for Bubba, but I don't despise him. He had a rough upbringing, certainly has his demons, can be a jerk and can sometimes look disinterested on the course (especially if the track doesn't suit his eye). And there's the religion thing, and he doesn't always practice what he preaches. That said, when he's on, he's something to watch and can do things with a golf ball that no one else can do. But yeah, when I look at our RC squad playing on the road, I can't say I have a lot of faith in him. Same goes for Webb after his last disastrous RC after talking his way on the team. Captains picks will be interesting.

The guy I still hate the most is Poulter, though DeChambeau is rapidly approaching Poulter territory. And Reed completes my top 3 hated golfers.

I don't think Bubba's nearly as bad as people make him out. Ya, he's an emotional guy -- sometimes to the point of being unstable -- but he seems to have a good heart and does his share of good deeds for charity and seems like a good family man. As for his religion, does anyone really practice what they preach?? Show me someone who thinks and acts like they're flawless and I'll bet they are terribly flawed and/or acting. More important to walk the walk and show contrition and remorse for your sophmoric or insolent behavior...and Bubba generally does that. He's usually pretty good for some honest discourse if you catch him on the right day...and I find his honesty refreshing because he seems painfully aware of just how deeply flawed (or scarred if you want to blame it on his childhood) he is.

Now having said that, not sure I want the Ryder Cup riding on his play in France with a hostile crowd making him more than a wee bit uncomfortable. But man it will make for some interesting theatre. I say pair him with Captain America and let Patty shield Bubba's fragile ego from the heckling and less than friendly reception. Patrick feeds off that shit and it will be absolutely savory to devour as a spectator / fan.

Why break up the Reed/Spieth practically invincible pairing? I'd pair Bubba with Ricky or maybe Kuchar and probably only play him in 4-balls. If we want to win on the road, I'd give the Euros a healthy dose of Reed/Spieth and Johnson/Koepka for the 1st 2 days. I'm also hoping most of our guys are playing the French this week.

I don't root for Bubba, but I don't despise him. He had a rough upbringing, certainly has his demons, can be a jerk and can sometimes look disinterested on the course (especially if the track doesn't suit his eye). And there's the religion thing, and he doesn't always practice what he preaches. That said, when he's on, he's something to watch and can do things with a golf ball that no one else can do. But yeah, when I look at our RC squad playing on the road, I can't say I have a lot of faith in him. Same goes for Webb after his last disastrous RC after talking his way on the team. Captains picks will be interesting.

The guy I still hate the most is Poulter, though DeChambeau is rapidly approaching Poulter territory. And Reed completes my top 3 hated golfers.

You're really gonna have a tough time during the ryder cup.

I don't think Bubba's nearly as bad as people make him out. Ya, he's an emotional guy -- sometimes to the point of being unstable -- but he seems to have a good heart and does his share of good deeds for charity and seems like a good family man. As for his religion, does anyone really practice what they preach?? Show me someone who thinks and acts like they're flawless and I'll bet they are terribly flawed and/or acting. More important to walk the walk and show contrition and remorse for your sophmoric or insolent behavior...and Bubba generally does that. He's usually pretty good for some honest discourse if you catch him on the right day...and I find his honesty refreshing because he seems painfully aware of just how deeply flawed (or scarred if you want to blame it on his childhood) he is.

Now having said that, not sure I want the Ryder Cup riding on his play in France with a hostile crowd making him more than a wee bit uncomfortable. But man it will make for some interesting theatre. I say pair him with Captain America and let Patty shield Bubba's fragile ego from the heckling and less than friendly reception. Patrick feeds off that shit and it will be absolutely savory to devour as a spectator / fan.

I wish I could agree with you on Bubba but I have seen him act like a jerk too many times for me to like him or support him. I have respect for his talent and agree that he does good things off the course. I don't think he's a horrible person, just not someone I am going to root for outside of a Ryder cup or President's Cup type setting.

Leave the Reed/Speith group alone, no reason to break it up.

Why break up the Reed/Spieth practically invincible pairing? I'd pair Bubba with Ricky or maybe Kuchar and probably only play him in 4-balls. If we want to win on the road, I'd give the Euros a healthy dose of Reed/Spieth and Johnson/Koepka for the 1st 2 days. I'm also hoping most of our guys are playing the French this week.

They won't pair him with Rickie. I really doubt it. Rickie finally got away from Bubba. Word was that when Rickie came out on tour, Bubba latched onto him like a puppy dog and followed him everywhere so Bubba could get some of the cool factor of being associated with Rickie. Tour pros have said it was incredibly annoying not only for other tour players, but for Rickie as well. That Bubba - Rickie thing was a one-sided love affair and was all about Bubba "look at me and how cool I'm best friends with Rickie".

Last edited:
They won't pair him with Rickie. I really doubt it. Rickie finally got away from Bubba. Word was that when Rickie came out on tour, Bubba latched onto him like a puppy dog and followed him everywhere so Bubba could get some of the cool factor of being associated with Rickie. Tour pros have said it was incredibly annoying not only for other tour players, but for Rickie as well. That Bubba - Rickie thing was a one-sided love affair and was all about Bubba "look at me and how cool I'm best friends with Rickie".

Ehh, I remember Rickie stuck around after Bubba won his 1st (maybe both?) masters and gave him a huge hug. Pretty sure both were crying. Not saying they're still close, but I don't think it was one sided at all.

Back