• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Saudi World Golf Tour 2022/2023 Thread

Regarding the "contract" or "agreement" they had beforehand, according to this article from November 2018 they had not discussed payment prior to Kuchar winning. I have also seen some takes that said since he couldn't speak English and/communicate with Matt, he wasn't entitled to much money. This article seems to debunk all that as well.

https://www.golf.com/tour-and-news/...r-mayakoba-caddie-18-things-to-know-el-tucan/

He basically doubled down on being a shithead. If anything, I feel like people who were Kuch neutral will move to Kuch haters. Which is actually good, because the Tour needs more foils. Reed, Watson and DeChambeau aren't enough.

Ian Poulter feels slighted by your post.

Wait, do you think Matt Kuchar has shares to pay back from each of his tournaments where he cashes in?

Of course not, I'm explaining why the caddie setup is how it is across professional golf. My family in Atlanta knows the Kuchars fairly well, it's a dumb situation because the money doesn't matter at all.

Of course not, I'm explaining why the caddie setup is how it is across professional golf. My family in Atlanta knows the Kuchars fairly well, it's a dumb situation because the money doesn't matter at all.

He's been around long enough to know what the right thing to do was.

SCROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOGE

Matt Kuchar has made over $46M in Tour earnings, according to ESPN, so of course the $ doesn't matter. It's just bizarre he didn't either a) up the previously agreed upon amount upon winning the tournament (if there was such an agreement) or b) offer more than he did after finishing. Kuchar does seem like a good guy, so it doesn't make much sense all around.
http://www.espn.com/golf/moneylist/_/tour/alltime

I don't know about piling on when it comes to this Kuchar controversy, but I'm sure Matty wishes he had simply kicked the guy an extra $15-25K as a generous, unexpected token of appreciation from the bottom of his touched heart after breaking a 4.5 year drought. Are Cibi and the kids THAT expensive to take care of...must be hard being a Top-10'ing, Tour ATM machine!! LOL

Because now he sure is going to pay much more in the form of a damaged reputation. If you're Patrick Reed, you can get away with this sort of thing, but when you're held up as the poster child of how to comport yourself on the Tour AND are universally lauded as the nicest guy around, you CAN NOT DO THIS. The deal he arranged only made sense in the likely event he didn't win the tourney! $3K, or whatever it was, for making the cut and probably a T-20. You just won $1.3mm though!! How do you not take care of this guy as it would do nothing but BUILD YOUR LEGEND!!

Now his reputation is tainted, deserved or not. Steinberg is obviously a shitty agent. He should have just told the guy they'd wire $25K and apologized for letting the "bonus" get lost in the shuffle. Now both guys look like fools, but El Tucan less so. He may very well have been led to believe he'd get some extra "cheddar" beyond the $5K. Even a 1% tip of $13K probably would have avoided a PR mess. Interestingly, what is the threshold I wonder for not looking like a douche in the eyes of journeyman pros like Tom Gillis? Maybe Ron Wellman knows since he's got the douchenozzle thing down cold!

Love the tidbit that, after winning the tourney and the getting the $1.3 million payout, Kuchar handed the Mexican caddy an envelope that had $5 bills in it. He just won $1.3 million, and he is giving DG Ortiz small bills like he parked Kuchar's car.

Just seems like Kuchar had a brain fart, and thought that, given he was in Mexico, it was a lightly-covered event and he would likely never see the caddy again, anything extra tossed into the envelope was good enough. Like a lot of people, rather than take the easy path, admitting the oversight and ponying-up a nice little bonus to be done with it, he is digging in refusing to admit any error, and now is hiding behind statements like "Making $5k is a great week", apparently hoping no one will note that DG Ortiz assisted Kuchar in making more than 250 times that during the same week. Making $1.296 million is even a better week, Koooooch.

Also, agree that Kuchar's agent did him no favors. This is why athletes/stars have agents: to deal with this crap and make it go away before it becomes a public issue.

Last edited:
Love the tidbit that, after winning the tourney and the getting the $1.3 million payout, Kuchar handed the Mexican caddy an envelope that had $5 bills in it. He just won $1.3 million, and he is giving DG Ortiz small bills like he parked Kuchar's car.

Just seems like Kuchar had a brain fart, and thought that, given he was in Mexico, it was a lightly-covered event and he would likely never see the caddy again, anything extra tossed into the envelope was good enough. Like a lot of people, rather than take the easy path, admitting the oversight and ponying-up a nice little bonus to be done with it, he is digging in refusing to admit any error, and now is hiding behind statements like "Making $5k is a great week", apparently hoping no one will note that DG Ortiz assisted Kuchar in making more than 250 times that during the same week. Making $1.296 million is even a better week, Koooooch.

Also, agree that Kuchar's agent did him no favors. This why athletes/stars have agents: to deal with this crap and make it go away before it becomes a public issue.

Yeah, that was especially tone deaf

Also, agree that Kuchar's agent did him no favors. This is why athletes/stars have agents: to deal with this crap and make it go away before it becomes a public issue.

Yeah, he needs a guy more like Matthew McConnaughey's character from Tropic Thunder.

So weird. I quoted Pilchard's post before he edited the part with the vid. Mind meld. I couldn't figure out how Tapatalk added video when I just posted about Tropic Thunder.

Another take: https://www.golfchannel.com/news/ma...oversy-not-black-or-white-or-anyones-business

"n Mexico, depending upon the source, the average weekly salary is $285. Ortiz makes a reported $200 a day – six days a week – being a caddie at Mayakoba, about four times the average weekly salary. Assuming he was idle for a week as the Tour took over his course, he would have been out $1,200. But he was, by all accounts, paid at minimum $5,000 – not the initially inferred $3K – roughly four times his average salary and around 17 times the average salary in Mexico. One can easily see why he would be inclined to enter into such an agreement with Kuchar. It was by any definition, a good week for him.

That Kuchar did not pay Ortiz the normal Tour caddie bonus is hardly news. When a local caddie is picked up at a Tour event, this is not that unusual. The percentage that Tour caddies make is to properly compensate a lifetime on the road – both for the inconvenience and the expense – and to offset the weeks when their player misses a cut and the fact that they can be fired at a moment’s notice.

But regardless of what arrangement was made between Kuchar and Ortiz, should it be of concern to anybody to what salary an employee and an employer agree? No. A third party, unless invited, has no business getting in the middle of contract negotiations between two people, who will, of their own accord, either find acceptable terms or walk away...

Not about what Kuchar legally owes DG Ortiz. Kuchar honored their verbal agreement, if they even had one. Kuchar could have paid him less.

It's just a bad look, cheap and not in line what tour caddies make when their golfer wins (or even finishes on the leaderboard) and that includes one-off caddies, when they loop for a tour winner who walks off with a 7 figure check.

If you win big at the black-jack or poker table, you aren't obligated to tip the dealer, the waitress bringing you drinks, the valet or anyone else, but you are still a dick for not doing so. Unlike those folks who don't really play a role in the "win", the caddy does play a role in helping the golfer win. That's why golfers invariably refer to "we" when they talk about their round and the shots they hit. There is a team element to golfer and caddie.

I had Matthew McConaughey over to my house once. After he left I noticed that the felt on my pool table was ripped. I called him up the next day and he denied any knowledge of how it might have happened. Not sure I believe him though.

$5K off $1.3M is just cheap AF now matter how you slice it.

Bill Haas is -2 thru the first 9 holes at Riviera and is tied for 7th. (Play suspended on day 1 due to rain and then darkness).

It was a year ago at this tournament that Bill was involved in the car accident where the driver was killed. He's had a tough year since then. Hopefully, he continues to play well this week and can get rid of the demons that have plagued him.

Bill Haas is -2 thru the first 9 holes at Riviera and is tied for 7th. (Play suspended on day 1 due to rain and then darkness).

It was a year ago at this tournament that Bill was involved in the car accident where the driver was killed. He's had a tough year since then. Hopefully, he continues to play well this week and can get rid of the demons that have plagued him.

Update - Bill finished the first round at -4 and is tied for 5th.
Solid.

Back