• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Saudi World Golf Tour 2022/2023 Thread

He took some chances that backfired on the front 9 and was driving it into some bad spots. But he really turned it on on the back 9. The last 2 Sundays have been a drastic improvement on what he's been doing on Sundays for most of the last year. He was never close to DJ, but no one else was either. He at least looks like he can win again.

I hope you're right. I love watching good Rory. But he's been pretty pedestrian the last bit, especially on Sundays.

I hope you're right. I love watching good Rory. But he's been pretty pedestrian the last bit, especially on Sundays.

I think if Rory is going to go to the next level, that's saying something as good as he is, but he needs to get better from 70 yards in. Rory is as good or better than anybody when you hand him a club and he can make a full or near full swing. I think if he could get better with the touch and feel shots and putting, he could be Tiger-like ( in his prime) at times. Not as consistently, but at times, I think he could be that dominant.

Rory's control with any type of wedge or less in his hand is just abysmal for how good the rest of his game is tee to green. Just no spin control and continually misses where he should land shots. If he could get anywhere close to an average level he would be unreal. As you all said, not sure you want anyone else hitting a shot from 190 yards. But he just can't figure out the wedges.

Yeah, Rory's last 2 years have been pretty forgettable outside of the 1 win at the API. And his short game has been downright fugly at times - it's like he's had Els putting for him, Westwood chipping for him, and Lexi hitting wedges for him. But he's looked sharp the last few weeks. I'm not a yuge fan, but I've always liked him and enjoy when he's in contention. And nice thing he did for those 2 kids after the round.

Shorty, you watch DJ on weeks like this, consider how long he's been around, and then you ask yourself how he only has 1 major. Fields are so good these days that you don't see much lapping of fields like you did with a hot Tiger or Phil 15 years ago. And watching DJ do that to a WGC field just looked effortless.

Rory has been shite on Sundays paired with other elite players for years now. It's like the US Ryder Cup team just passes him around as their bitch.

The thing that impressed me most about DJ on Sunday was after he double bogied 10, he immediately got both shots back with birdies on 11 and 12. He just refused to let Rory get closer to him.

With his 20th career PGA win, DJ earns a life-time exemption at age 34. Only 37 players won that many tour events. IIRC, only 4 or 5 have done it a younger age (Tiger, Phil, Jack). Not sure who else (maybe Arnie and Sam Snead?).

With his 20th career PGA win, DJ earns a life-time exemption at age 34. Only 37 players won that many tour events. IIRC, only 4 or 5 have done it a younger age (Tiger, Phil, Jack). Not sure who else (maybe Arnie and Sam Snead?).

Could be wrong, but I would think Byron Nelson would be on that under 34 y.o. list.

Rory had a good back 9 but that side was playing much easier. JT lit it up (he started on 10), DJ lit it up, plenty of players did.

Arnie, Jack, T-Watts, Tiger, Phil, now DJ and Johnny Miller...sadly for Johnny he flamed out pretty soon thereafter. *Only* 25 wins total.

Rory seems to be rounding into form, but still struggles with his short irons (8-iron and under IMO even though he can probably nuke an 8 170+ if he wanted to). Until he figures out a way to consistently find the correct part of the green and stop going long and left or pulling short irons, he'll never come close to where he was in 2012-2014.

Brandel Chamblee made some interesting, stat-backed comments about the difference of hitting cuts like DJ into greens as opposed to Rory who prefers a draw. However, Rory has implemented a cut off the tee and I do believe he's tried to get a bit steeper or more "on top of the ball" going into this year. But more than anything, he needs to "feel" his way to the green with those shots of 75-150 and use more low knock-downs and finesse cuts into the green. He's more than capable but I think he likes to club down and hit full too often.

Could be wrong, but I would think Byron Nelson would be on that under 34 y.o. list.

Definitely, had 26 wins when he was 32 & 33. And he was well over 20 going into his record-setting 18-win season of 1945. Hogan and Snead surely are in that group as well, even though both had lots of success in their late 30's and beyond. Reckon Sarazen and Casper may be on this list, but I'd have to check.

Hooboy Keith Mitchell. Congrats to that dude.

Pretty exciting final 9 holes.
At one time there were 7 guys tied for first. Didn't expect Mitchell to win it .....or rather take it away, from Koepka and Fowler. Was also cool to see Vijay, at 56 years old, in it until the last couple of holes.

Pretty exciting final 9 holes.
At one time there were 7 guys tied for first. Didn't expect Mitchell to win it .....or rather take it away, from Koepka and Fowler. Was also cool to see Vijay, at 56 years old, in it until the last couple of holes.

Pretty much all of this. Nice to see Vijay contend, and Mitchell hit some clutch shots and putts to pull that off. Wasn't familiar with Mitchell until this weekend. Kinda cool to see an unknown guy make some late birdies to best names like Fowler and Koepka. Would always rather see that than someone blow a lead.

I've been traveling this afternoon and tuned I expecting to see DJ on top of the leader board.
My gosh, what a meltdown on the back nine. He's 7 over on the last 5 holes and is totally out of it.

I've been traveling this afternoon and tuned I expecting to see DJ on top of the leader board.
My gosh, what a meltdown on the back nine. He's 7 over on the last 5 holes and is totally out of it.

I was in first place in a big DraftKings contest with Pan, Lowry, DJ. Dj’s meltdown cost me about $10,000

Yeah, he not only couldn’t hit fairways, he could’t keep it in play.

His tee shot on the par 3 14th was one of the worst I've ever seen a pro hit. He blocked it RIGHT of the pond.

Back