• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Saudi World Golf Tour 2022/2023 Thread

I assume it is because he qualified as an amateur - he wouldn't get in the field as a pro.

This is the US Open - not the US Am. Ams and Pros qualify together at the same events. Cam beat Kelly Kraft among other pros to qualify in the Sectional. For the Open, why it would it matter if when he initially registered that he was an Am? Not disagreeing, just trying understand why the USGA would distinguish between pros and ams when qualifying for an event that is open to both.

This is the US Open - not the US Am. Ams and Pros qualify together at the same events. Cam beat Kelly Kraft among other pros to qualify in the Sectional. For the Open, why it would it matter if when he initially registered that he was an Am? Not disagreeing, just trying understand why the USGA would distinguish between pros and ams when qualifying for an event that is open to both.

They don’t distinguish. Any golfer with a handicap index of 1.4 or better can fill out the application, pay the $200 fee, and show up at a local qualifier and try to qualifier. Cameron would have had to do that as an amateur or a pro. But since he made it through the regionals and sectionals and is in the field, he could turn pro if he wanted to.

They don’t distinguish. Any golfer with a handicap index of 1.4 or better can fill out the application, pay the $200 fee, and show up at a local qualifier and try to qualifier. Cameron would have had to do that as an amateur or a pro. But since he made it through the regionals and sectionals and is in the field, he could turn pro if he wanted to.

Whoops - my statement applies if you are getting in on an exemption, not as a qualifier. If your exemption was as an amateur (like US am champ) then you have to remain an amateur to use the exemption.

Not really sure why Young has waited to turn pro, unless he is planning on competing in the US Am, which would be unusual for a graduating college senior. Agree that Young is giving up the chance for nice little payday. The purse is $12.5 million, which is the richest in golf. Last year, making the cut was worth $23K and finishing in the top 25 was worth $80K.

I thought that he could just accept the money and no longer be an amateur, if he has a good finish; however, it looks like he has to sign a waiver before the event to maintain amateur status. Though this says PGA Tour event, I assume the US Open counts the same, given the prize money offered.

An amateur golfer may become a professional almost any time he wishes, except during a professional tournament. If he wants to retain his amateur status while playing in a PGA Tour event, under Rule 3-1 of the Rules of Amateur Status, before the competition begins he must waive -- in writing -- his right to accept prize money. If the golfer then makes the cut in the event, his place is skipped over when prize money is distributed. So if he finishes in 15th place, the next highest-finishing pro golfer receives the 15th-place winnings, and so on down the line.

https://golftips.golfweek.com/can-amateurs-collect-winnings-pga-events-20597.html

That would be kind of funny. Could you just see some amateur, on the leader board Sunday afternoon, calling the rules official over and telling him, “Would you mind calling the PGA and telling them I’ve decided to go pro?”

Well the question there would be if once he played in the first qualifier did that count as "during the tournament", preventing him from turning pro now? I doubt it, but you never know.

Well the question there would be if once he played in the first qualifier did that count as "during the tournament", preventing him from turning pro now? I doubt it, but you never know.

I don’t think so, but I’m not 100% certain. The quote that BB posted, “...while playing in a PGA Tour event...” doesn’t necessarily apply either. The US Open is not a PGA Tour event.

I don’t think so, but I’m not 100% certain. The quote that BB posted, “...while playing in a PGA Tour event...” doesn’t necessarily apply either. The US Open is not a PGA Tour event.

Yeah, but that is a USGA rule. Here is the waiver. It doesn't specify a PGA Tour event - I believe that was just an example by the author of the article.

PRIZE MONEY WAIVER FORM
Rule 3 (Prizes) of the Rules of Amateur Status prohibits an amateur golfer from playing for prize money
(i.e., cash) or its equivalent in a match, competition or exhibition.
However, an amateur golfer may play in a match, competition or exhibition offering prize money, as long as
he or she waives the right to prize money in advance. An amateur golfer may waive the right to prize
money by either 1) submitting an entry as an amateur golfer, or 2) informing the Committee that he or she
is waiving the right to a cash prize in advance of participating.
NOTE: If players are able to submit a competition entry as an amateur golfer, they are considered to
have waived the right to prize money by doing so.
The USGA makes this waiver form available to assist those amateur golfers who wish to protect their
amateur status by waiving the right to accept prize money. Amateur golfers who wish to do so should
submit this form to the USGA or the appropriate Committee, no later than the first day of the competition.
This form is also applicable to applicants for reinstatement who wish to play in an open competition and
waive the right to prize money.
By signing and returning this form, I hereby certify that I will not accept prize money.
Name of Competition ___________________________________________________________
Date(s) of Competition ___________________________________________________________
Name of Player (Print) ___________________________________________________________

Pebble isn't a long course and has tiny greens. Doesn't seem like one that would suit Finau as much, but who knows.

Realize that its super early, but looks like the USGA made Pebble as difficult as possible. 30 players are on the course, and only 1 is under par.

Realize that its super early, but looks like the USGA made Pebble as difficult as possible. 30 players are on the course, and only 1 is under par.

The USGA can be a little vindictive sometimes (see Winged Foot, 1974). I don't think they ever want to see anyone do what Tiger did in 2000 again.

Scott Piercy says "hold my beer". -5 through 7 holes. Crazy.

The USGA can be a little vindictive sometimes (see Winged Foot, 1974). I don't think they ever want to see anyone do what Tiger did in 2000 again.

But what Tiger did, and what Koepka did at Erin Hills, were superhuman. I think +3 was 2nd place in 2000, and no one else was double digits when Koepka won his 1st. If 5-6 guys are all in the 8-12 under range I can see wanting to make a stiffer test. But when 1 dude is completely lapping a field that otherwise isn't much under par, you just have to bow to said dude.

PGA Tour 2019 Thread

Pebble was great. There is nothing the USGA or anyone else can do about making it tougher without going overboard and protecting against chance of high winds imo. Weather was calm so that helped scoring.

But, the course (and other classics) starting to feel obsolete for pros. No.6 is iron-iron par-5. Most of the holes coming in don’t need a driver. The equipment debacle has caused this and they refuse to do anything about it. Only trick left up the sleeve is changing par to make it look like the course is playing harder. Please don’t chop up great courses for tournament play.

Last edited:
Pebble was great. There is nothing the USGA or anyone else can do about making it tougher without going overboard and protecting against chance of high winds imo. Weather was calm so that helped scoring.

But, the course (and other classics) starting to feel obsolete for pros. No.6 is iron-iron par-5. Most of the holes coming in don’t need a driver. The equipment debacle has caused this and they refuse to do anything about it. Only trick left up the sleeve is changing par to make it look like the course is playing harder. Please don’t chop up great courses for tournament play.

I don't follow PGA closely but do they need to do more to make it tougher? Cut was +3. Of the players who played the weekend, median for 4 rounds was +1. Take out the +20 outlier and there's a pretty good bell curve between the -13 winner and +13 78th place.

yeah, i don't think pebble needs to be tougher. pros not needing a driver all the time is not a big deal

Back