• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Saudi World Golf Tour 2022/2023 Thread

Well what would your suggestion be for changes to 100-year old golf courses ?

Narrow the fairways and grow the rough. That's really the only answer (to defend against top ams and pros) for courses that can't lengthen. As a regular guy, I enjoy being able to score decently though.

i played Harbor Town this year and played from the whites; the champion tees barely add a club or two per hole. i played pebble from the recommended tees for an 11 handicap, which i think was yellow or white. the champion tees add a bit more but not much per hole there either. i don't have a problem with playing the proper tees. but those are older courses where length isn't the biggest defense the course has to offer. i still hit my drives about 270-280 when i'm playing regularly, though at the moment it's not very often.

my point is that golf is more interesting when it's not about needing to hit driver/long iron on the majority of par 4s from the appropriate tees, which is a trend for courses that permit extension and it's lazy. a course doesn't need to be 7k+ to be hard

harbor Town and Pebble are probably the two shortest courses used by the PGA Tour all year.

Narrow the fairways and grow the rough. That's really the only answer (to defend against top ams and pros) for courses that can't lengthen. As a regular guy, I enjoy being able to score decently though.

This is the answer. They did this to perfection at Merion, with crazy fast (but fair) greens as well, and no one broke par for the week.

My main complaint with Pebble was that they shaved some areas that were previously really thick rough, resulting in a few more balls going in the ocean, but also in wider fairways and more birdies (6 for example). But still, if the wind blows 20-30 all week at Pebble as it often does, the winning score is probably like -2.

This works, but more specifically, narrow the fairways proportionately. By that I mean make the fairways wider at 280 than at 320. If you want to bomb it, bomb it. Just know that you have a smaller target the farther you hit it.

Some amazingly beautiful courses the next 4 weeks on the Euro tour. I love Valderrama as the fairways wind their way through the cork trees. Then 3 links courses - Lahinch, Renaissance Club and Portrush. I don't recall seeing any prior Irish opens at Lahinch, but from the pics, it looks cool, as does the Renaissance Club. And Portrush and Royal County Down might be my 2 favorite courses in the world.

Lahinch is definitely in the top 5 coolest courses I've played/seen. Probably top 3. Wonder what they do with the few resident goats that feed on the thick heather during the Open?

Lahinch is definitely in the top 5 coolest courses I've played/seen. Probably top 3. Wonder what they do with the few resident goats that feed on the thick heather during the Open?

Wow - didn't know they were playing the Irish Open there - will definitely have to check it out. I played there a long time ago, and it seems like an odd tourney course given some of the quirky (but fun) holes. I can't wait to see them play the par 3 where you hit over the giant hill to the blind green behind it.

This is how far Bill Haas has fallen: he was an alternate this week in the Rocket Mortgage Open (not exactly a stacked field), and he did not get in the event.

This is how far Bill Haas has fallen: he was an alternate this week in the Rocket Mortgage Open (not exactly a stacked field), and he did not get in the event.

Does he have an exemption remaining to use if he's not in the top 125 at the end of this year, or did he use it last year?

Maybe because its an individual, rather than a team, sport (so there is not no media spokesperson or website to issue information about a player's status), but I have not seen it explained whether Bill is using or has used his one-time one-season exemption as a being top 50 on the all-time PGA money list to get into PGA events. His current Fed Ex Cup rank is 148; so, he has some work to do to get into the top 125. Haas has not made a cut since the Schwab Challenge on May 26. Fed Cup playoffs start in August.

Maybe because its an individual, rather than a team, sport (so there is not no media spokesperson or website to issue information about a player's status), but I have not seen it explained whether Bill is using or has used his one-time one-season exemption as a being top 50 on the all-time PGA money list to get into PGA events. His current Fed Ex Cup rank is 148; so, he has some work to do to get into the top 125. Haas has not made a cut since the Schwab Challenge on May 26. Fed Cup playoffs start in August.

He did not use it this year. He played off of a limited medical exemption in which he had to earn a certain number of points in two weeks. He earned conditional status and has also used his sponsors' and past champion exemptions to get into plenty of events.

He started well in October but since then he has not played well. One change is that he appears to have started wearing glasses this spring. That seems odd for a pro golfer with all of the sweat, humidity, etc.

FWIW, Nate Lashley carded a 63 today to lead the Rocket Mortgage Open by two shots. He was the last alternate that made the field; three got in. Haas was the next one in if a 4th player withdrew.

FWIW, Nate Lashley carded a 63 today to lead the Rocket Mortgage Open by two shots. He was the last alternate that made the field; three got in. Haas was the next one in if a 4th player withdrew.

Man, I swear I thought that said "Nick Lachey carded a 63," the first time I read it.

In a PGA season that has lacked many dramatic finishes*, yesterday was pretty exciting, particularly on 18: DeChambeu with the approach and putt on 18 to (it appeared) at worst case a playoff, Wolff and Morikawa's solid shots into the 18th green (figured one of the rookies would shank or push it into the water), then Wolff with the bomb for eagle, followed by a clutch putt to tie for Morikawa that had the speed, line and everything but the golfing gods in his favor.

*28 straight tournaments w/o a playoff

Back